Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Smile BMW X3- Tire rotation.

I have a 2008 BMW X3 and has 16K Miles on it. I recently got my first free service from the dealer and when I went there they said I need to have my tires rotated and they were saying 150 bucks for that and it is not covered under warranty(even though they promised 0 manitainece for 4 years or 60K miles).

Now my question is do how soon do i need to get my tires rotated, I had other car which i usually get it done for 5K miles from Firestone. I was doing some research on the internet and they said BMW doesnt need any tire rotations is it true? if not how soon do i need to get it done or where do i need to get it done (Dealer or outside - because outside its costing me around 20 bucks rather than 150).

Is it okay if we get it done outside meaning Firestone, CarX,......... or somewhere else....... do they do the good job.

Any advice is really appreciated, and BTW this is my first post so please bare my ignorance.
Ads by Google
Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
Most BMW dealers advise that rotation is not necessary. We have 46,000 miles on our '05, and the rears have a little more wear than the fronts WITHOUT rotation. Nothing excessive, but maybe a little more than 1/16 of an inch.
Anyone can rotate wheels. Just make sure they do not over-tighten the lugs. If you can do them yourself, do it and clean the backside of the rims to keep them from getting too nasty, as a shop will not clean them for you. You'll be amazed how much crap gets stuck back there, and that brake dust is fairly corrosive to the wheel finish. If you stay on top of it, it will actually save the clearcoat on the front of the rim on the edges of the spokes.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Most wheels that come on X3 are directional, so the only rotation possible is rear to front and front to rear, no cross rotation. Whether to do it or not is debatable due to the XDrive. This has been discussed before and the general consensus was that it's not necessary to rotate tires on X3.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 11-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have 48K miles on my '06 with 18 inch Scorpions. The rears are getting to the wearbars but the fronts look great (still can pick up gravel), no rotation ever, just rear brake pads. I am going to leave it alone and just replace all four at once later on.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by v9_76 View Post
I have a 2008 BMW X3 and has 16K Miles on it. I recently got my first free service from the dealer and when I went there they said I need to have my tires rotated and they were saying 150 bucks for that and it is not covered under warranty(even though they promised 0 manitainece for 4 years or 60K miles).

Now my question is do how soon do i need to get my tires rotated, I had other car which i usually get it done for 5K miles from Firestone. I was doing some research on the internet and they said BMW doesnt need any tire rotations is it true? if not how soon do i need to get it done or where do i need to get it done (Dealer or outside - because outside its costing me around 20 bucks rather than 150).

Is it okay if we get it done outside meaning Firestone, CarX,......... or somewhere else....... do they do the good job.

Any advice is really appreciated, and BTW this is my first post so please bare my ignorance.
I've decided tire rotation is a personal thing, like religion. I can't rotate tires on my car, because the wheel sizes are different.

My view is:

1) It's fine to rotate your tires. Front to back, back to front as others have said.
2) The mileage is up to you. 5K is fine.
3) Any competent mechanic/garage will be able to do this.

Ask the technician if he/she knows the torque value required for your wheel bolts. If they give you a distant look and point to their impact wrench, move to another mechanic.

Lastly, I would replace any tire at 3 mm of wear or below, regardless of rotation.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
(even though they promised 0 manitainece for 4 years or 60K miles).
It's 50k not 60k . and tire rotation is not covered under the free maintnance plan (you should have a booklet on what is covered).
As said before, it's personal preference, I just did mine in the garage. If your not a DIY'er just take it to a reputable tire place.

Welcome to the 'fest!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
I have a 2008 BMW X3 and has 16K Miles on it. I recently got my first free service from the dealer and when I went there they said I need to have my tires rotated and they were saying 150 bucks for that
$150 to rotate tires??!?!?! That must be the most egregious price gouging I've ever heard of. By that math, the should be getting paid $900 /hour
Old 11-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
$150 to rotate tires??!?!?! That must be the most egregious price gouging i've ever heard of. By that math, the should be getting paid $900 /hour
+1
Old 11-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Well, if the $150 also included Hunter Road Force balancing then I can see the price, otherwise it is a total gouge IMHO.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I've seen a variety of opinions on this forum on tire rotation. My local dealer insists it isn't necessary, even though they sold me a car that at 35K miles already had new rear tires put on it. Go figure. Some say it affects handling if you do rotate them. Can't say I notice, but I don't drive at 10 tenths. My opinion is that for maximum wear rotate them, and it won't affect handling on a street car. (Unless of course, they are not the same size.) Nor will the tire dealer honor the warranty on the replacements I got from them unless they are rotated. Of course, a $150 fee is totally nuts, and I would consider another dealer, or ask the service manager why they want to take advantage of you. Some tire shops around here will do it for free even if you didn't buy the tires from them; or for a nominal fee.

When radials came out, front to rear rotation only (left front to left rear, right to right) was the rule. At the time it was said that radials take a "set" that would cause unspecified problems if the direction of rotation was reversed. The rule remains; the rationale seems lost in history.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi
$150.00?? Nice round numbers!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM

Smile

Thanks very much guys for all your replies.

My tires are not that much worn out, so most probably i will wait for some more time and see.

Otherwise i had got a coupon for $9.99 from CarX and i will try to go there and see what they say about it.

I will update if I get it done.

Once again i really appreciate all of you replying to my post and welcoming me to the bimmerfest forum.

Thanks
V9_76
Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 x3; 2002 325xit
I usually do a tire check on my Bimmers once a month. I check the tire pressure, which is very important for tread life, economy, and performance. I just replaced the set of tires on my all wheel drive 325 wagon, and my regular pressure adjustments WITHOUT tire rotation, and they all wore to the limit evenly. I recently acquired our X3 and I plan on the same protocol.

Brad
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
The tires on my X3 also wore evenly without rotation. I was amazed how even they were. Replaced all 4 at about 24K miles (Dunlop Sport 01's).
I can't rotate them even if I wanted to, they're staggered.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
$150 to rotate tires??!?!?! That must be the most egregious price gouging I've ever heard of. By that math, the should be getting paid $900 /hour
You took the words out of my mouth....I've been in the automotive industry at the dealership level for 20 years and I have never heard of that for a rotation.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
The tires on my X3 also wore evenly without rotation. I was amazed how even they were. Replaced all 4 at about 24K miles (Dunlop Sport 01's).
I can't rotate them even if I wanted to, they're staggered.
How much did they cost for 4 tires for your X3. Mine looks good so far but just wanted to know.