Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
2008 X5: Premium Sound vs standard stereo

Hello,

I plan to order a 2008 X5 3.0si soon and I am still unsure if I should get the Premium Sound Package or not. Is there a considerable difference in the audio quality? Is it worth $1650 for the additional 4 speakers and the upgraded amplifier?

I went with the HK upgrade on my 2001 Z3 and I sometimes feel that it was a waste of money. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks,
Mike

In case you're curious...I plan to order with this configuration

Alpine White
Saddle Brown
Premium Package
Tech Package
Sport Package
Rear Climate
Ipod Adaptor
Heated Front Seats
Power Tailgate
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
I don't know about a diff b/c I never sat in one w/o it.

I ordered mine with it... I like it. (FWIW I have the HD to- but usually find myself listening to Sirius or my iPod)

Why not just get cold weather pkg, instead of ordering the heated seats only- I love the heated steering wheel!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: X5, M6 Vert
If you felt this way before, don't get it. I'm not a meloman and my regular stereo just fine, I even compared to my friends upgraded stereo and cant see much of a difference , but he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ View Post
Hello,

I plan to order a 2008 X5 3.0si soon and I am still unsure if I should get the Premium Sound Package or not. Is there a considerable difference in the audio quality? Is it worth $1650 for the additional 4 speakers and the upgraded amplifier?

I went with the HK upgrade on my 2001 Z3 and I sometimes feel that it was a waste of money. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks,
Mike

In case you're curious...I plan to order with this configuration

Alpine White
Saddle Brown
Premium Package
Tech Package
Sport Package
Rear Climate
Ipod Adaptor
Heated Front Seats
Power Tailgate
Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 07 X5 3.0si
For MP3 listeners premium sound does not make much sense, only if you are into CD quality.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 (E70) 3.0si [US]
I have Standard sound and honestly, I believe it is still very good. I had premium Bose 6-CD system in my previous Altima, and feel no difference in sound.

I agree with SailinSand, get the cold weather pack. Heated Steering Wheel is awesome, within a minute, you feel nice warmth in your hands. Very useful if you live in cold climate.

Last edited by smarty197; 06-18-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Save your money, or get another option, you won't miss the premium sound IMHO.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
The X5 in general is a pretty loud car (it definitely isn't a Lexus). You'll hear the engine in the 3.0 (and even more in the 4.8). But that's what I love about the car. Really adds to the sporty experience of the car.

With that said, I opted for the premium sound for the larger amp and more speakers (because I always end up regretting what I didn't get). Furthermore, I wanted to keep this car stock and not go with aftermarket this time around. Though I'm considering BSW for their direct replacement speakers).

In my 4.8, I hear so much of the engine that I often question if I would be able to tell the difference between the standard and premium sound. I just tell myself that it is. At least I have a cool on-screen equilizer.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 95' BMW 740il; 08' X5 4.8
I just purchased a 2008 4.8i and I absolutely love it. I got it with the Sports Package, the Premium Leather (amazing), the whole nav system, ext. I did NOT get the premuim sound and I must tell you don't kick yourself if you don't. I love to play my music loud and the speakers that come with it do a perfect job. All the seats have woofer's underneath them anyways so there's nothing to complain about. If you really want the premium sound, go for it, but I promise you won't be mad if you don't.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the help. The wife and I ordered our X5 tonight and decided to skip on the Premium Sound Package. I'll send an update when it finally arrives. (early/mid-August I believe)
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: X-5 4.8i
Lightbulb 2008 X5 Premium Sound vs Standard Stereo

Hello,

I am a serviceman stationed overseas with the Navy, Army and Airfoce in Landsduhl Germany, new to the Bimmerfest forum.

I too am ordering a new 2008 X5 4.8 being built sometime this week of 14 July. It is being delieverd to me from SC to Kaiserslautern Germany around the 15th of August. I also was wondering about the Premium Sound vs Standard Stereo. So, I decided to go with the Standard Radio before I read any of the above post at Bimmerfest. Since the stock speakers do not get much praise an upgrade to the BSV speakers seem like a low cost option later. I was not sure about keeping the stock radio or trying to upgrade to the Logic7 DSP radio later which would have to be dealer purchased and installed by BMW. I find it interesting that the Standard radio does not specify DSP but comes standard with the 205 watt Digital Amplifier which obiously somewhere converts the analog radio signal to digital either upon receving the signal. Any thoughts on this process. Data from BMW is scetchy. I see alot of you are happy with the standard audio radio, so it can't be that bad. Some articles in Bimmer magazine do not have praise for ANY of the stock speakers for all of BMW and alot have great praise for Logic7 DSP.

I know that on the X5, "standard audio" comes with wiring available and ready to hook up the 6 DVD changer, if someone changes their mind and wishes to upgrade to the 6 DVD changer. I do not know if the X5 comes built with the internal wiring for the additional 2 speakers in the middle support column/post along with the speaker mounts on the right and left side of the car. Does anyone have any information on this, whether or not the wiring or speaker mounts are available under the middle support post trim?

The Premium Sound Option for me was $1850 which seemed like a lot so I chose the standard audio. I can not imagine spending more than $2000 on an aftermarket up grade of the Radio to the Logic7 and 6DVD player. The 2 sets of speakers the ones in the left and right upright middle support post may have to be omitted.

1. Anyone have an idea about the price and a good place to purchase the Logic7 Radio with 600W amp and 6DVD player? I have put in an inquiry the to BMW parts manager at Tischer BMW in Maryland. To date I have not heard from them. They advertise a 20% discount on most of their in stock items.

Side note:
One of the BMW Dealer Salesman over here told me that in Europe BMW offers 3 levels of options for the audio upgrade on the X5 in Europe and that the X5 is 2nd from the Top.

The Dollar conversion rate = .61cents to the Euro so purchaseing and or installing either part in Germany appears NOT to be a good idea!

Thanks for reading all this!!

Last edited by WMWOOT; 07-14-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM

2008 X5 Premium Sound vs Standard Stereo

[QUOTE=WMWOOT;3395520]

Hello,

I am a serviceman stationed overseas with the Navy, Army and Airforce in Landsduhl Germany. I am new to the Bimmerfest forum.

I too am ordering a new 2008 X5 4.8 being built sometime this week of 14 July. It is being delieverd to me from SC to Kaiserslautern Germany around the 15th of August. I also was wondering about the diffference between the Premium Sound vs Standard Stereo. So, I decided to go with the Standard Radio before I read any of the above post at Bimmerfest and before I did the research noted in this post. Since a lot of the standard BMW speakers in other BMW vehicles have not gotten not get much praise, for those of you that are not happy with the standard Professional Hi-fi Radio System, an upgrade to the BSW (Bavarian Sound Werks) speakers may be a low cost option, about $650, to improve the quality of the sound from the 10 midrange and tweeter speakers of the standard Hi-fi system. Subwoofers are not included in the BSW Stage 1 upgrade.

I am not sure about the feasibility of upgrading to the Logic7 DSP radio in an after market retrofit which would be very expensive since it would have to be dealer purchased installed by BMW. I find it interesting that the Standard Hi-fi Professional radio does not specify DSP in the sales brochure but it does come standard with a 205 watt Digital Amplifier which converts the analog radio signal to digital either upon receving the signal in the head unit or by the amplifier. Anyone have thoughts on how this process works on the standard X5 stereo system? Data from BMW is scetchy. As far as I can tell from the E70 audio system data base printed 10/06 for 2007 X5's, does specify that the Premium Top Hi-fi and standard Hi-fi amplifiers have the same input and outputs.

I see alot of you are happy with the standard Professional Hi-fi audio radio, so it can't be that bad. It has 25 watts per each speaker set-pair of 1" tweeter and 4" midrange. The two 8 1/2" subwoofers under the seat have 40 watts. That all equals 205W! That is better than most standard BMW systems. Some articles in Bimmer magazine do not have much praise for ANY of the stock speakers from BMW but alot have great praise for Logic7 DSP system.

The Premium Sound system, Top Hi-fi option comes with 50 watts for each channel going to each set of tweeter and midrange speakers located on the front dash, the front and rear doors and the very back D-Pillars. The subwoofers have 125 watts going to each of the two subwoofer speakers.

I know that on the X5, "standard stereo Hi-fi audio" comes with optical wiring available to connect the CD/DVD changer to the amplifier in the back luggage compartment and therefore ready to hook up the 6 CD/DVD changer, if someone changes their mind and wishes to upgrade to the 6 CD/DVD changer. This is an authorized dealer installed option. The vehicle also has to be reprogrammed.

I do not know if all X5's come with the back D-pillar speaker mounts on the right and left side of the car. Does anyone have any information on this, whether or not the speaker mounts are available under the back D-pillar support trim?

The Premium Sound Option for me was $1850 which seemed like a lot so I chose the standard audio. In retrospect buying with the added premium sound option is alot cheaper than trying to upgrade to the OEM later! If anyone is on the fence, I would say go with the Premium sound system. I can not imagine spending more than $2350 on an aftermarket up grade of the Radio to the OEM Logic7 and 6DVD/CD player. The 2 sets of speakers, the ones on the left and right back D-pillar support post may have to be omitted in an aftermarket upgrade to the Logic 7 DSP Premium Sound System. Also the entire E Drive system has to be reprogramed. An upgrade like this is also not tied into the original VIN number of the vehicle.

Anyone have any experience purchasing the X5 (E70) Logic7 Radio with 600W amp and 2008 6DVD/CD player? I have put in an inquiry the to BMW parts manager at Tischer BMW who is in communication with me about the parts mentioned above to be installed by a BMW dealer. They advertise a 20% discount on most of their in stock items.

One of the local BMW Dealer Salesman advised me that in Europe BMW offers 3 levels of options for the audio upgrade on the X5 in Europe and that in the US the X5 standard stereo Professional Hi-fi is 2nd from the Top of options offered in Europe. In Europe the standard Radio system is the bottom of the 3 options and half the wattage offered in the standard Professional US Hi-fi Radio System.

I hope I have provided some additional information to the previous posts that will help those torn between selecting the Premium Sound vs Standard Stereo option, and enable first time buyers to make an intelligent choice they can live with when purchasing a new (E70)BMW X5 SAV.

Thanks for reading all this!

Last edited by WMWOOT; 07-31-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: Now 330ci - soon E92 335i
Regarding the original question:

I have an 4.8i w/ premium sound. It's in service the last few days for a blown amplifier. I have a 3.0 is w/ standard sound. I think there is a big difference in sound quality between these two. I'm not a audiophile in any way but the sound quality between these two is obvious. Is it worth $2,000 (I believe this is how much the premium sound package costs)? Depends.

If you get the standard sound and invest $2,000 for aftermarket amplifier(s) and speakers, would you have a better system than OEM premium sound? Most probably.

Ucan
Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 PM

Regarding the last post "Premium Sound Vs. Standard Sound System, I agree with the last post, there is a very distinct discernable difference in the sound between the two options. I finally decided to get the Premium Sound system and believe it was well worth the $1800 extra to get the "Premium Sound System". There is a lot more clarity from all frequencies accross the entire range espeically the bass at lower volumes enableing all passengers in the vehicle to hear real quality sound with depth from front to rear without raising the volume to an uncomfortably high level. As I expected, the more powerful system allows for a more discernable sound at a lower volume. At first I thought 600 watts was overkill, but that, as the BMW brochure states 600 watts (7x50) divided between the six pairs of speakers in the front, rear doors, rear D-pillar and the pair for the front console equals 50 watts for each pair or 25 watts per speaker and 125 watts x2 for each subwoofer. Most after markets speaker systems I have seen have a minimum of 50 watts per speaker, as a rule, for their systems. An aftermarket system disrupts the integrity of the vehicle, and is not warrantied by BMW. So, order the premium system, if you are considering it and have any doubts. You won't regret getting the upgrade! It is worth the extra money.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2009
Hi all,
I just upgrade from a X5 2002 with premium sound pkg to a X5 2009 without premium sound (No DVD radio and a 6.5 LCD) and there is a big difference in the sound quality. The sound of the 2009 std pkg is very bad, I think is a shame for BMW to included a system like this in the new X5. But there's a very cheaper upgrade you can do, replace the tweeters of the front doors with the JBL titanium GTO17T and you goin to hear the difference, is like hearing another system. The sound quality really improve.
Anyone know how dificult is to replace the original radio and LCD to the one with DVD and 8.8 LCD? Is the same existing wiring? I have no rear view camera, It's the wiring installed from factory for future upgrade?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
Premium sound package is a MUST-HAVE option.(you can also watch DVD).
Well, I don't know about wirings but it will cost you a lot to retrofit the screen...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...20&hg=65&fg=50

2008 X5 4.8i Black Sapphire/Black perforated int./Bamboo wood trim [w/ all factory options except rear DVD system]
+ aerodynamic kit/stainless pedals/illuminated door strip/3M color-stable tint/LED license plate light/Thule's 91726 snowboard carrier.
2006 X5 4.4i, Titanium Silver/Black int./Anthricite Maple + 4.8is bodykits/Style168 wheel/OEM backup camera/Running boards/Chrome dual exhausts.(TRADED)
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTech8 View Post
In my 4.8, I hear so much of the engine.
I have a 4.8i too and it's not too loud. Maybe you should have yours checked maybe it's missing some sound insulation.

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Old 12-01-2009, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
hello need help to change x5 2008 radio from usa to europe