Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-01-2009, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: e46 325xi
Hard to press, squishy brakes!!

I have a 2000 528i with about 140k on it, and recently, after every rain storm, my brakes have been very hard to depress, they make an awful "squishing" noise, and it takes time for the pressure to build back up in the pedal. Around the same time that this started happening, my engine also started to act funny... Again, only after it rains, my engine has a terrible loss of power, feels like it is only running on two or three cylinders, and emits a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust. It "bogs" down in the lower gears and is literally struggling to move. I spoke briefly to a bmw mechanic, who said it may be my vacuum booster causing both problems. A friend of mine, who is an Audi mechanic, said it may be the master cylinder causing the braking problems, and bad ignition coils causing the engine problems. I tried to silicone the coil heads, or whatever they are called, and also replaced the spark plug boots, but nothing has worked so far, and both problems seem to be getting worse! Sorry this is such a lengthy thread, but any help would really be appreciated!! Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Probably a leak in the vacuum system. At that mileage it's quite common for the rubber hoses to crack.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Get some popcorn and coke and read this:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=17987958
Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: e46 325xi
Thanks for the tips! I'll get to cleaning out whatever crap is in there... As far as the hoses, is that an expensive/difficult fix? ive been trying to do most repairs myself.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
I had the same problem with the brakes and engine on my car after a car wash once and after rain storms occasionally. I got code P1353 (Misfire Cylinder 6 With Fuel Cut-off). Turns out it's a clogged drain by the brake master cylinder. Remove the interior cabin filter on the driver side, unhook the vent tube, squeeze the clamp and lift up the plastic tray the air filter rests in. There you will find the brake fluid reservoir and master cylinder, and it will have water in the bottom if your drain is plugged. Use a straight coat hanger and clear the drain hole which is in the bottom of this area towards the middle of the car. After I did this I didn't have any more trouble. Wish I had known this before I had the coil and spark plug replaced on cylinder 6. The reason water causes these symptoms is that when you depress the brake pedal water gets into the brake booster and then gets sucked into the engine.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
I had the same exact problem with my MW 528i. I spoke with several mechanics and everyone wanted me to bring it over to replace the vacume pump and the hoses. My point to them was why does it only and only do it on a rainy day.
After reading the threads here. I went ot my car and took off the air filter and its cover on the driver's side. That exposed a big pond of water right under the master cylender. The drainage was clogged. I took a hanger and put it thru the drainage hose and there was allot of water that got out. I put everything back and took it for a drive and that looks like fixed it.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to manticore33
Mein Auto: '86 Porsche 951, '01 530i
The clogged drains led to flooding in that compartment in your car. That water made it into your brake booster which is causing the brake problems and your misfire. Draining the compartment gave you temporary relief, but you need to replace the brake booster since you are in BC. You cannot got all the moisture out of the brake booster and it will freeze on you this winter rendering your brakes useless. I had this happen to me. My brake booster flooded in June and by that following January started freezing up. Over 8 months later and I still was able to extract significant amounts of water from it. Don't put your safety or anyone else's safety at risk, drain the compartment, clean the drains, and replace your brake booster.

Last edited by manticore33; 10-31-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM

Cloged Drain

So now I am scared. Are you surethat I have to replace the booster?

Also have naother issue that jsut came up yesterday. The car was loosing power and I thought that it was because of the drainage problem. I just found out that the head cylinder case on the top was over torqued and has a small crack in it right by the 3rd cylinder. Would this be enough for the car to loose the vacume power?

Thanks for all youe help.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
Clogge drains in the cabin filter over the brake booster. Get the water out or you will blow your engine. Do not drive it like that.
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 11-01-2012, 02:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to manticore33
Mein Auto: '86 Porsche 951, '01 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alis_khan View Post
So now I am scared. Are you surethat I have to replace the booster?...

Thanks for all youe help.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...452&highlight=

The only way to fix it is to replace it. I have yet to replace mine, but I don't know if it will freeze yet. Last winter was so mild that it ended up being a non-issue except during January and February.

In regards to your other problem, cracks in the cylinder head are not good and can cause a variety of issues. The head is going to need to be replace which will be time consuming and expensive.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM

So my question is that woudl the crack make any difference on the vacume of the car?