Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 S/C Z3M Roadster
bmw bluetooth parts id

I have a 2005 X3 with Bluetooth but no Nav. My local dealer removed th Bluetooth related parts from my center console about 2 years ago but now I would like to get my Bluetooth working again. Unfortunately the dealer can't seem to identify the parts now required.
There was what I think was the pairing button inside the console cover and under the console there is a 2 -wire plug as well as a wire from the rear tcu just sitting there so I assume there was a control module inside the console .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne
Ads by Google
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
You need either a pairing button or eject box. All the eject box does is provide charging and external antennae. You don't really need the eject box. You also need a ULF or TCU unit. You can get the latest generation 13 ULF from Ebay. Bimmernav has generation 11. You also need a mic. Here's a link to installation instructions.

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_X3_Blue...tructions.html
Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I don't think you will need a pairing button or eject box. Prior to installing my eject box, I was able to pair my Moto phone and a Blackberry with the TCU without a problem. Canadian spec models may be different, but in the US, I believe that the TCU is set to pair mode each time the car is started.

I'd start with buying the TCU and installing it in the trunk. If you find that pairing is impossible, then you can add the pairing button or eject box.

I'd also check to see if the microphone was removed by the dealer 2 years ago. It only lists for about $50 new from Bimmernav so I doubt the dealer would have placed much value on it for removal. You can sometimes see if the mic is there by looking closely with a flashlight, or remove the light module and check for certain.

-pd.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx3 View Post
I don't think you will need a pairing button or eject box. Prior to installing my eject box, I was able to pair my Moto phone and a Blackberry with the TCU without a problem. Canadian spec models may be different, but in the US, I believe that the TCU is set to pair mode each time the car is started.

I'd start with buying the TCU and installing it in the trunk. If you find that pairing is impossible, then you can add the pairing button or eject box.

I'd also check to see if the microphone was removed by the dealer 2 years ago. It only lists for about $50 new from Bimmernav so I doubt the dealer would have placed much value on it for removal. You can sometimes see if the mic is there by looking closely with a flashlight, or remove the light module and check for certain.

-pd.
I think you're right. My ULF wouldn't pair without the button (Bimmernav will tell you this). It's possible a TCU will. I've also heard that dealer programming will allow pairing on startup but that would cost more than a pairing button.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I can state from experience that in other BMWs the ULF requires a pairing button (from eject box or homegrown); it wouldn't surprise me that TCU modules were designed to auto-pair to save on costs and user mistakes. And you're right, I think the "auto-pair" feature of the TCU can be turned off. Why one would want that, I don't know -- I can't see any other way to pair other than that.

-pd.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 S/C Z3M Roadster
bluetooth parts id

Thanks for your response . You've confirmed what I thought -the pairing button is what I need. Unfortunately can't seem to find alisting for it. Do you know another source-I've looked at Bimmernav and could not find one listed other than in the kit.
Thanks again
Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne rose View Post
Thanks for your response . You've confirmed what I thought -the pairing button is what I need. Unfortunately can't seem to find alisting for it. Do you know another source-I've looked at Bimmernav and could not find one listed other than in the kit.
Thanks again
Call Bimmernav. They have them and will sell them separately.