Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
A Horrible deal on 2010 X5 35d!!

Hi, guys, I am in Houston area and actually paid for my 2010 X5 35d last Saturday, 5 days from today. And I just found this forum today and read the posts, I just figured out how horrible was my deal and I came for advises! Thank you in advance.
My car is black/black with
premium package
tech package
rear climate package
running board
ipod adapter
roof rails
+
LoJack, 3 years tire coverage+ 5 year windshield coverage (this three I got for $1500 in total)
+
free mats
After the $4,500 eco credit plus $500 dealer discount, I actually paid $60,700 in total for driving out.

Like some previous posts mentioned, dealer brought the eco credit into the negotiation and said they were not willing to give anything other than $500 discount because $4500 is a lot, I was so stupid and I agreed with them. I just found the $4,500 is flat to everybody and the actual price can go down as low as 500 above invoice ($47,105,right?).
Now I know the price is at least $2,000-3,000 over what I should pay....
So, guys, what do you guys think about my stupid deal and since I just got it couple days ago, what can I do? Are they going to give me some money back if I threat to send the car back? I know this sounds freaking ridiculous, but please do help, I am out of my mind now....
Thanks alot, guys!
Ads by Google
Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 PM
A pair of I6s

Mein Auto: E93 335i, E90 330i
This is why it is usually best not to research a deal after your purchase. Best case: you feel vindicated and remain happy (as you were). Worst case: well, you know...

Don't make empty threats. Don't know what your local laws are, but I doubt any/many states allow you to return a car 5+ days from delivery/sale. Research your local laws if it bothers you that much, otherwise just enjoy your spankin' new ride

2012 Mercedes-Benz E350
Prev: E90 330i, E93 335i, etc.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
First of all, I would recommend calming down. The money you could have saved is not worth a nervous breakdown.

The good news is that you got $4500 off a vehicle that performance wise is as good as the 48i. The bad news is that you could have probably negotiated down another $3k down. When you look at invoice, you have to factor in all the features that comes with the vehicle so don't compare it with $47k.

Your overall savings off the MSRP was $5k which in itself is not bad. I purchased a 2010 X5 3.0i with $2.5k holiday credit and an additional $3.7k off the sticker. It didn't come easy though, I had shop by dealer and get the best deal before ever entering their doors.

If you already signed the paperwork, I would say take a look at the fine print and see if you have a window to return the car if you are not satisfied. You can then use that to reopen negotiations (don't threaten though, be cool and firm about it). If there is nothing in the fine print that allows you to return the vehicle, you can call the dealership posing as a new customer (or have your wife do it) and ask the question if whether after purchasing the car you have a window of time to return it if you are not satisfied with it. They will likely give you their most flexible answer because they see the potential of a new customer. You can then use what you are quoted to go back in to return or renegotiate.

Worst case, don't fret it, you didn't save as much as you could have but it was not a bad deal.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i, 2010 X5 35d
I'm with Housh,

The deal wasn't terrible, I'd move past a few thousand dollars and enjoy your new ride. While a few dealerships here and there may give you 500 over invoice it is pretty hard to find. Most I had been dealing with could only go as low as 2000 over invoice (before eco credit) and I only found 1 that went lower so you really aren't that far off in the grand scheme of things. The plus is that you have the car you wanted at the price you could afford and felt was reasonable for what you got otherwise you wouldn't have done it.

Plus, I'm guessing that it is a dealership that is close to your house with a Client Adviser who will personally make sure you are happy and satisfied with your experience there. Should any problems with service, loaner cars, or customer satisfaction come up this can come in handy and may be well worth spending the extra cash for. You may (nicely) mention to your CA that you learned what the invoice price is and what others are getting for the car but I wouldn't get angry about it, you may want him/her in your corner someday and I wouldn't burn that bridge. You might ask if they can throw in the extended warranty, trailer hitch, or other option you are interested in if not for free maybe for the wholesale price but they aren't obligated to do anything so don't get your hopes up too much. Again, I'd keep things pleasant & remember a 2k difference in the overall price of a 60k car shouldn't keep you up at night. In fact, we may have even ended up about even since In CA I probably pay about 1-2k more in sales tax then the rest of the country but don't get me started...

Last edited by GOODFOOT; 12-03-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:24 PM

thanks a lot, 1985MB, Housh, and goodfoot.
I will try to talk to the sale man nicely, and ask if they can give me something like extended warranty. There are only 3 dealers in a reasonable distance from my home, so I didn't quote for many times and made the quick decision. I must admit that I go with X5 35d is because the $4,500 but I was also fooled by it. I will let you know the updates later. Again, I appreciate your guys' advise.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Very difficult to compare car deals.

Even if you think you got a good deal, someon else got a much better one.

It comes down to supply and demand. Good price on a BMW means the dealer needs to unload inventory. A bad deal means the dealer is not in a hurry to sell and will wait for better offers.

The cheaper you pay, the older the car and less desirable in most cases.

I would not fret over a couple grand. Most folks lose ten of thousands of dollars buying/selling a home.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpySD View Post
I would not fret over a couple grand.

I agree. You're certainly better-off than people who got a $500 over invoice deal just before the eco-credit kicked-in.

Your CA probably is a happy camper with you as a customer, and a potential repeat customer down the road. So if you have any problems, you should be sure to ask the CA to go to bat for you with any service/warranty issues.

The deal is done, so don't do anything too drastic that might harm any goodwill you might have acquired due to being a profitable customer to them, vs. someone that squeezed the last penny out of the CA when he was desperate for a sale.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5
OP,
As others have stated, that wasn't a "bad" deal. The invoice price for your car is about $55125. You paid $60700 out the door for your car. If you take out the sales tax and the extended coverage packages, you paid essentially $54575 for the car...or roughly $1000 under invoice for the car if you tack on the Eco Credit and MACO/training.

Basically, you paid about $3400 above invoice or $1350 under MSRP for the car. Not a good deal, but definitely in the range that some ppl have paid for a new car who doesn't know how to haggle well.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
your deal

You have gotten some good advice from the bimmerfest forum folks.

Once you get the rest of the info about what wiggle room you may have with the dealer and once you take delivery, you will be very pleased with your purchase.

I have tried to compare what we just paid for our 2010 Alpine white/black interior X35 diesel. It's very apples and oranges given all the various package combinations, trade-in values, eco-credits and state tax/fees etc.

But the bottom line is that we are very happy to have a safe, economical vehicle to enjoy.

I hope it turns out that way for you as well. We are already seeing 26-29 mpg and reaping the benefits of lower fuel costs.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:59 PM

thanks a lot, folks! For all the good advice, I wrote an email to the sale person, but he hasn't replied me yet, I will wait and see. I should know you guys earlier.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbear View Post
thanks a lot, folks! For all the good advice, I wrote an email to the sale person, but he hasn't replied me yet, I will wait and see. I should know you guys earlier.
Sorry, but the salesperson is basically done with you. The sale has been finalized and you've driven off the lot. Unless your state allows a "cooling off" period for car purchases, there's nothing that can be done now. Even if the salesperson felt bad for you, he can't give you some money back after the fact. So, it's pretty pointless now.

Seriously, just be happy with your new car and enjoy it! What's done is done. Forget about it.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Don't bother contacting the selling dealer ... all you will do is embarrass yourself.

I went through a similar event many, many years ago with my first purchase of a new car.... Just don't let it happen again!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Superbear, I think the opinions you've gotten so far have mostly been very wise. Your deal is done and you now have NO leverage whatsoever with the dealership. Anything you might be able to get from them would be out of pity they might feel toward you. Do you really want to be begging for pity? Just enjoy your new vehicle and apply the lessons you learned from this deal in your next purchase. Also, I wouldn't necessarily believe all the super deals of "only $500 over invoice" and the like that people are reporting.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM

a quick update, their manager will call me tomorrow.
I agree with Marwan that I am not going to beg for anything , but I will tell them I feel I was tricked.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Tricked? You were just not prepared.

It's like that fable wherein the alligator says "Don't blame me for eating you, that's what I do"

Good luck, maybe ask for a full blown BMW extended PLATINUM at "cost". (Just as a show of good faith, and you'd consider using them for service.)

And make it clear that you know "cost" is half of MSRP.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbear View Post
a quick update, their manager will call me tomorrow.
I agree with Marwan that I am not going to beg for anything , but I will tell them I feel I was tricked.
Sorry, bro. But, being unprepared, uninformed, and having an inability to haggle doesn't equate to being "tricked". As ALL car websites and consumer websites suggest....do your homework before buying a new car. Unfortunately, you didn't and paid the price. It's similar to ppl who go into the mall and buy the first item of clothing they like without checking to see if it may be on sale at another store.

You now have buyer's remorse. I think, at best, the manager is going to offer you free car washes, waxes, or treatments. I highly doubt they'll give you some money back. If they do, give me the name of that dealership because they would win the Customer Service of the Year Award for new car dealerships in the ENTIRE world!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Personally, I would suggest that you stop reading perspectives from others and just go out and be thankful that you have a totally kick ass ride and that you can afford it. I would love to be able to drive a new X5. You rock!

...any delta in regard to what you paid will work out even in the end...
Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5d
Years ago, in a highly intense training program that consumed several years of my professional life, we had an expression for difficult learning experiences:

AFOG = Another Freakin' Opportunity for Growth.

You did get a good price on a stellar vehicle. It's WAY better than you could have done in early 2009. Enjoy the ride and vow to research the heck out of the next new car deal.

Current Ride: 2009 X5d
Previous BMWs: 2002 330i; 2000 M Coupe
Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM

Hi, guys.
Here is the end of the story. Dealer said different sates have different situations, no dealer in Houston area gave extra discount other than the $4,500 eco credit, I got $500 it was a "good " deal. And they personally don't trust any dealer in Eastern coast or California would give $8,000 off MSRP, unless they see the paperworks.
I don't believe the **** but consider I will go back for service in the future, I don't want to burn the bridge, and my CA doesn't look like a bad guy in my purchase, so I gave them 5. As exchange, they got me a X5 car cover ($260) and a BMW bear ($30?), they also told me the window tint and floor mats are courtesy too.
Anyway, thanks everybody and hope you guys have a merry Christmas and happy new year!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, more than i expected.

Do yourself a favor: In your future, don't go in thinking the SA will care what went on with the CA... forge a relationship with ONE Service Advisor, who matches your personality/needs...(maybe get recommendations from other owners who might use your dealership) yes, warranty coverage is great, but other stuff comes up and just being dealt with truthfully is of value.

Merry and Happy-

A
Old 12-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 Xdrive 35d
All I can say is AAA. Used their auto service for fist time. Picked up factory ordered 2010 X5 35d today.

2010 BMW X5 35d in black sapphire metallic with black perforated Nevada leather interior. Active ventilated seat package, premium package, premium sound package, technology package, comfort access system, dark burl walnut wood trim, heated front seats, and ipod and usb adapter.

The MSRP as built on this vehicle is $64,075. Including the $4500 eco credit, my AAA pricing was $55,940. Basically 750 over factory invoice when you back out the incentive.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:33 PM

So, just curious, any folks from Houston area? What price others are buying from dealers?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: A Vehicle
akmangus, would you mind telling me more about the AAA method you used? I check the AAA site and couldn't find anything relating to that.

I ordered my x5d last month, and it's set to arrive next month.

I have a few questions about pricing too. For some reason, it seems that my x5d is about the most expensive one I've read of in this forum, coming to $76K. I did select almost all the options (I usually get vehicles fully loaded) with the exception of ones I didn't think I needed, like the ventilated seats and such.

In the end I negotiated to 4.25% off of MSRP, which came out to $8,630 off of MSRP ($4,130 + $4,500 eco cred). I'll also hopefully be getting the $1,800 tax credit.

Is this a good deal? Am I overloading an x5d? You guys think I should re-open negotiations again?

thanks in advance for any advice or info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmangus View Post
All I can say is AAA. Used their auto service for fist time. Picked up factory ordered 2010 X5 35d today.

2010 BMW X5 35d in black sapphire metallic with black perforated Nevada leather interior. Active ventilated seat package, premium package, premium sound package, technology package, comfort access system, dark burl walnut wood trim, heated front seats, and ipod and usb adapter.

The MSRP as built on this vehicle is $64,075. Including the $4500 eco credit, my AAA pricing was $55,940. Basically 750 over factory invoice when you back out the incentive.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangfish View Post
akmangus, would you mind telling me more about the AAA method you used? I check the AAA site and couldn't find anything relating to that.

I ordered my x5d last month, and it's set to arrive next month.

I have a few questions about pricing too. For some reason, it seems that my x5d is about the most expensive one I've read of in this forum, coming to $76K. I did select almost all the options (I usually get vehicles fully loaded) with the exception of ones I didn't think I needed, like the ventilated seats and such.

In the end I negotiated to 4.25% off of MSRP, which came out to $8,630 off of MSRP ($4,130 + $4,500 eco cred). I'll also hopefully be getting the $1,800 tax credit.

Is this a good deal? Am I overloading an x5d? You guys think I should re-open negotiations again?

thanks in advance for any advice or info.
why not look it up yourself???? You knwo what you ordered, just add up all the invoice prices from the published 'wholesale price' sheet at the top of this page! Then you know what the dealer is paying, and what their profit is!

It isn't possible for you to pay $76k AND be getting 8630 off MSRP... are you including tax in that $76? is that 76 'pre discount'??
Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota Corolla
I definitely think it has to do with supply and demand when pricing these vehicles sometimes. More dealerships, more competitions, more room to haggle and play them off each other. I live near Austin, TX (near Fort Hood)..and we only have 2 dealerships nearby and to find more you have to travel to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio. I just sent some emails to the 2 dealerships near me about the 2010 35d, I will let you know what they say but they are pricing them way high (MSRP) as well on their website. So I wouldn't worry too much about it, just be glad you got your order in before the ECO credit expires next month.

We have placed an order for our 2010 X5d through pentagon car sales (which doesn't qualify for the BMW eco credit because of the military discount) and I started seeing the same things about people only paying $500 over invoice and such (that's why I am pricing some other dealerships). Same "buyer's remorse?" Haha. I doubt I can find a dealership that still has a build slot for the year before the eco credit expires. So in the end, I guess you and I both got a great buy!