Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Paging enamoured

[In your pic DSCN4301.jpg on the rear sunroof drain tubes what is that rubber tube in this pic. It is in front of the panel you were removing but is it part of the drain system that could be disconnected here and something run in both directions to clear the tube? Is there a similar tube on the driver side?

Thx
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Hi, yes it is the drain tube and there is a similar tube on driver's side too. The only thing you can disconnect it from is the L shaped tube at the bottom (not in the pic but you can see it if you open that interior quarter panel on either side), but don't do it unless you must, reason: we do not have enough info in the forum what is on the other side of that L tube, if it is a directional valve, more than likely that's where the blockage will be be and cleaning the tube won't make a difference. If its just more tube you would be fine. Let's wait for X3-terrestrial to find out.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Let's wait for X3-terrestrial to find out.
I know, I know...I'll try to do it over the weekend...
Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM

I suspect

If it is like the drain tube in my E39, it can be disconnected and cleared in the manner I have described. I do it regularly. Even if there is a directional valve which I really don't know why there would be, water wouldn't travel up the tube. Such an obstruction (by means of a valve of some sort) would only add to the drainage problem.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 PM

How

Surely someone knows or has access to the manner inwhich the dealer clears stopped drainage tubes!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Surely someone knows or has access to the manner inwhich the dealer clears stopped drainage tubes!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think someone said they use pneumatic pressure in reverse to clean them up.

I was looking at it, and the other end of L disappears into the bumper, I then looked up the hitch installation article on xoutpost.com hoping to see the other end when the gentleman installing it took the bumper out, no shot of sides with bumper removed. Perhaps someone who has installed hitch himself can comment where does the other side of drain come out?

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 AM

From other experience

once again this is from my experience with the e39 but on it they come out above the fender liner. When I run trimmer line down the drains you can hear hit hitting them. Just a guess but I would bet that is where they come out on the X3 since nobody has seemed to be able to find where they dump out. This would make sense as up there it would be less likely they would get gunk in the ends.