Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Strange Electrical Problem

My 'lamp out' light came on two weeks ago. i checked all the lamps and could not find a faulty lamp. So i ignored the light waiting for my next visit to the dealership. Today on the highway, the lamp out light went off but at the same time a number of strange things happened....

the direction indicators stopped working, no light or sound.
then the tire pressure low and airbag error lights lit up on the console.

when I turned on the headlights and/or foglamps no indicator lights came up on the console.

I got home, turned the car off. 15 mins later turned it on and everything was fine.

it's scheduled to goto the dealer tomorrow for investigation but now the problem has resolved itself I'm sure they will say they can't do anything.

Anyone have this problem or have an idea what it could be?

09 X3...
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
I had something similar happened to my 05 where many electrical items went haywire and eventually the car died completely. They replaced the entire instrument cluster which is somehow a central node in the system.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Oh great! I have a total meltdown to look forward to!

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
I am thinking it was more of a glitch that got resolved when car was restarted, much like restarting a computer that has been misbehaving. No matter how sophisticated a computer is, they all have their bugs/problems and limitations.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
The things that happened to me was over several days/weeks. Things like spurious warning lights, radio working then not working and missing Sirius and then having it back, power windows working then not working then working again and other screwball anomalies.

Eventually, the car was dead one morning when I went to start it, just as I was planning to take it to the Dealer. Took about two days to diagnose and then the Dealer had a new cluster air freighted from Germany. Since it was under warranty and they gave me a loaner, no big deal.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 PM

took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't find a problem and furthermore apparently nobody has ever had a similiar problem - go figure. Anyway, I'll keep you all posted...

They did replace the lamp that was out - free of charge - which rather decent of them!

Last edited by x3lemon; 12-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Sport Package
I just had a similar problem (light bulb warning light on the dash) on my '07 XC3 over the past couple of weeks. I have noticed my headlamp washers are not popping up now (I have full washer fluid). They have been itermittent. The light bulb light on the dash was off and they were working. The light is now on and they are not working. The car is do for service in under 900 miles, so I am planning to have thm look at it then.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The headlamp washers only operate on the 1st pull, and every 5th pull after that, of the wiper stalk to wash the windshield when the headlamps are on.