Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 520i E28
starting second time problem...

Hi Guys im new here. just bought a 520i e28 last week and have had a couple of probs. First had to change the radiator due to cracks in the old one, secondly, ive started the car after short trips to the shops and it just doesnt want to start. I read a previous post about possible engine flood due to the fuel pump proceeding to pump fuel for 10 mins after stand still, which if the engine is cold the excess fuel will not evaporate and flooding occurs. Problem solved by taking out the fuse for the fuel pump when the car is waiting to be used again. Bit of a nightmare i know but how can I avoid having to do this annoying routine??
anyone have any ideas??

cheers
_tez
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 PM
The Biggest P0st Whore!!

Mein Auto: 91 525i
You should not get any flooding if the injectors are actually closing. Have them cleaned and check the fuel pressure regulator and your problems should be solved.

I havent heard anything about the 10min post run on the fuel pump. I'm not saying it does not do that I just dont know why they would do it.

You could also wire in a relay to the fuel pump side of the fuse that kills power when the ignition is off.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 520i E28
cheers mate. it seems to work for me the last few times ive had trouble starting.
this was the quote from the thread i read: -

"Interesting that so many folks with 5 series same era have same kind of no start problems. BMW Workshop manager told me it was a flooding issue with these fule systems which I think was installed across the range.

If the car is run from cold for only a short periode of time when you stop the engine the fule pump continues to run on for a while. The presure builds up and fule leaks past the injectors into the cylinders. If the engine is warm enough it evaporates. if not it condenses over the spark plugs and when next you try to start it it is flooded and turning the starter just pumps more fule in and makes maters worst.

Simple remedy is lift the hood and in the fuse box you'll fine a fuse for fule pump which should be removed.

Then Turu the engine on the starter with your foot to the floor for about a minute just to pump lots of air through to dry things out.

Replace the fuse and start the engine.

If it still won't fire the more drastic remedy is needed which is to remove all the spark plugs and dry them in cool oven (about 50 deg C) and turn the engine with the fuel pump fuse removed.

Replace the plugs while still warm and the fuse and it will start. 99% of the time."

........so how would i go about wiring in a relay to the fuse? that sounds like what I need to do. Also when I visit the garage next I shall get them to check the fuel pressure regulator....however you do that or is that a job I could do??

thanks for you help
Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02/1994 530i 8cylinder
Do you know if it's flooding or if you just aren't getting fuel? I would check the fuel pressure reg only after I replaced the fuel filters myself.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Pretty much had 'em all
If the pump runs on after shut down something in that circuit is wrong. Think about it, what possible reason would there be for this? The pump will shut off if there is no oil pressure so certainly no reason for it to run on. Only an arsonist would design such a system.
Regardless, the injectors shouldn't leak the fuel into the cylinders and if you are indeed flooding this is likely where the problem lies. E28 is twenty years plus so an a faulty injector would be no surprise.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 85 535i
My car starts and jus pops the fuse to the fuel pump the 16 amp fuse

any suggestions