Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: bleh
BMW X5 facelift?

I'm looking into buying a X5, but whats holding me back is the rumors about a new facelift thats coming in 2011, are the rumors true or not?
Ads by Google
Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
True, but most consider it a minor facelift with the external changes being different bumpers, most likely painted. Some have also said changes to the interior, but I have heard no details about that.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: bleh
Thank you Penguin, do you think its worth buying right now? I really need a car right now, and I'm not sure what to buy.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 AM

Depends on how much you value having the latest styling. I got my X5 Diesel a month ago and love it. Right now the Diesel has a $4,500 incentive on it, so it can be a good deal if you find a dealer willing to negotiate. My deal was only good, not great, but, in my case, it made sense to me. Roughly:

$4,500 Eco Credit
$3,000 Dealer Discount
$1,000 Rebate from BMW CCA Club Program
$900 or $1,800 tax credit (Some debate as to what the real 2010 number is)

For a total of about $10,000 off MSRP.

And in 2009, the sales tax is deductible for Federal Tax purposes, even if you don't itemize.

But the key thing for waiting or not is how important the latest styling is to you. For some people it is very important to have the latest.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
I've heard another change is the availability of a twin turbo V8 400 bhp engine (if you are the power hungry type).

I'm in the same boat as you re getting the X5 rigth now and I am trying to decide if I can wait another 10 months or so for the facelift and this engine.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickspop View Post
I've heard another change is the availability of a twin turbo V8 400 bhp engine (if you are the power hungry type).

I'm in the same boat as you re getting the X5 rigth now and I am trying to decide if I can wait another 10 months or so for the facelift and this engine.
(1) Yeah, I forgot about the possible availability of updated engines. That's one, including the twin-turbo six, is a viable rumor, but not as certain as the bumper changes which are essentially beyond just being a rumor and approaching a certainty.

(2) It probably won't be ten months. Many expect the 2011 X5 model to be launched early, in March of next year. If so, there may be more info by the end of January, after the Detroit car show.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It probably won't be ten months. Many expect the 2011 X5 model to be launched early, in March of next year. If so, there may be more info by the end of January, after the Detroit car show.
Do you know where the engine rumors are coming from? It would make a huge difference to me if I only have to wait another 4-5 months for another 50 hp. TIA
Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Do you know where the engine rumors are coming from? It would make a huge difference to me if I only have to wait another 4-5 months for another 50 hp. TIA
Mostly talk on the boards and some web sites, such as this one (which speculated the twin-turbo six would be in the 2010 model).

http://www.autospies.com/news/Spy-Ph...acelift-50237/

There's some talk that part of the front bumper redesign is to accommodate improved air cooling flow and an oil cooler, since there were some cooling issues on the twin-turbo six when introduced on the 3 series (and the engine would get worked harder, on average, with a 5,000 lb vehicle).
Old 12-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks Penguin. I'm going to start a thread about this to see if any more "official" information is available.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Thanks Penguin. I'm going to start a thread about this to see if any more "official" information is available.
You won't get anything official until BMW releases the information... It's all rumors and speculation right now...

Craig