Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 PM
White Mexican

Mein Auto: e90 M3
Need owners advice

Hey everyone, I recently got rid of my e90 M3. I am going to school next year and I need to save some money so a lower payment will be nice. I have been looking into e46 M3s since I was about 16 and never could imagine havng one. now I see some around $20k with high miles on them. If I get one in that price range I will have decent money left over for mods that I never could with my e90. I know that I do need to give the car a really good inspection as with any used car but my question for you current e46 owners is...

-How many miles is "too high" to buy an M3?
-Would I be crazy to get a high mileage M3?
-How much mechanical breakage should I expect (If any) ?
I am currently looking at a 2005 with about 90,000 miles on it and they are asking $19,000 I don't think I will get that one but if I got one with around 60-70,000 miles would I be getting in to more problems than I can imagine or will it be a nice reliable driver?

P.S. my dad owns a mechanic shop so I have access to tools, lifts ect... and I plan on doing most repairs, mods, maintnace myself or with help of my dad's mechanics
Thank you in advance
~Adam

Last edited by MrAdam; 12-01-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2009, 05:20 PM
White Mexican

thanks for your input guys!!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to stimpee Send a message via Yahoo to stimpee
Mein Auto: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989baby View Post
thanks for your input guys!!!!
Yeah that'll motivate people to help you!

Anyway, go for it. There is no magic to mileage or age on the E46M3. If you have access to tools and the ability and interest in working on it yourself, it is not even that difficult or expensive to maintain. I would not hesitate to get one with 80-100k on it frankly, unless you plan to put 20k miles on it per year.

Sounds like you are on the right track. And if you are looking at cars with 70-80k on them, if you go a bit older into the 2002-2003 range, you can probably get something quite decent for a nice amount under 20k.

Let the modding begin!
Old 12-06-2009, 05:02 AM
No more M

Mein Auto: C6 GS
Be patient and look around, you can find some good ones with 20-40k miles on them, basically like new.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 AM
White Mexican

thanks guys, Ya I want to ba able to mod and give it my own taste where as the e90 I couldn't afford anything aftermarket. sounds like I've been getting the same response across forums. I'll be driving around a civic untill about Jan. or Feb. and then I'm going to hit the market hard
Old 12-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Riuster = Rooster

Send a message via Skype™ to Riuster
Mein Auto: 02 M3, 07 X3 and 04 TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989baby View Post
Hey everyone, I recently got rid of my e90 M3. I am going to school next year and I need to save some money so a lower payment will be nice. I have been looking into e46 M3s since I was about 16 and never could imagine havng one. now I see some around $20k with high miles on them. If I get one in that price range I will have decent money left over for mods that I never could with my e90. I know that I do need to give the car a really good inspection as with any used car but my question for you current e46 owners is...

-How many miles is "too high" to buy an M3?
-Would I be crazy to get a high mileage M3?
-How much mechanical breakage should I expect (If any) ?
I am currently looking at a 2005 with about 90,000 miles on it and they are asking $19,000 I don't think I will get that one but if I got one with around 60-70,000 miles would I be getting in to more problems than I can imagine or will it be a nice reliable driver?

P.S. my dad owns a mechanic shop so I have access to tools, lifts ect... and I plan on doing most repairs, mods, maintnace myself or with help of my dad's mechanics
Thank you in advance
~Adam
Want to buy mine...??115K miles 17K

I am a reliable driver, no spin outs..the car is really taken cared for..

interested?

email me riuster@yahoo.com

I fixed everything!
02 CB/Blk Lthr, Cold/Prem. Pkgs, HK, Xenon, Rev. Alert, SMGII, ACS comps, Hamann Comps, OEM Bar, Intros Aero Pol 19s 2-3 In.lips, w/275 Potenzas, Koni S, RMS, AA GEN3, SS Midpipes, DDE lights, LED Retrofit, Lthr Steering, OEM Sheepskins, Kewood Amateur 7000, XM 2, V1, GT2, Garmin 7200, Carputer-SONY T140 with Xenarc display, CSL splitters, ACS diffuser

BMW 2007 AW X3, prem and cold pkg.
Acura 2004 CG TSX