Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
30,000 miles (a little long)

Well, I hit of milestone of sorts. Got my X3 last June with 24,600 miles. Hit 30,000 miles last night. It's been a good time!

So my question is: anything special to do now? The computer says service due in 4,950 miles (at roughly 35,000 miles total). I did an unscheduled oil change a month after I purchased my car, and BMW records show the brake system was bled at two years in 5/09 even before I bought it. As far as I can tell, I just wait for my service 1 to come up. Am I missing anything?

Also, a few general comments and reflections after a half year.

I really enjoy driving my X3 and love the versatility. Years ago I had station wagons which could carry a lot but didn't handle well. Then I had my beloved Mazda 626 for 12 years. Nifty sport sedan, maybe not up to 3 series standards but it handled well and I just enjoyed driving it. The X3 was my attempt to find a compromise: a vehicle that would handle well, accelerate well, and be large enough to accommodate my bicycle inside without destroying the interior of another vehicle (my bike really messed up the back seat of the Mazda), and be reasonably reliable. And it's an admirable compromise, I don't think there's anything else out there that can do all this, believe me I looked when I was shopping back in June.

Yet as I reflect on this, the funny thing is that although I love driving the X3 I just don't love the car as much as my old Mazda. Part of it is some of the design features still seem,well foreign. Little things like pulling the door handle twice to get out, or the master door lock in the center of the dash instead of the driver door, or the side mirror switch that has no neutral position, or the non-intuitive interface for the AC/Ventilation/Heating controls, or the center console compartment that's so hefty but with little capacity, or putting the battery under the rear floor under all my luggage instead of in the engine compartment. Or aesthetically, the interior is fairly angular and stark ( have a stripped down version, maybe that's part of it). I admire the engineering, I love the handling and acceleration, the ride's fine with me even though a little stiff (I don't have any of the complaints others have voiced about the ride) but somehow I don't have the affection that I had for the Mazda.

On the other hand, some of the design features are outstanding, like the standard memory seats (I use that feature to facilitate entry every time I get in) and especially the xenons.

My other comment is I'm surprised how long it took me to get used to driving it. I haven't gotten a new car in a dozen years, so I had forgotten the learning curve on a new vehicle. I have the MT, and learning the shift points took me longer than I expected. And during the learning curve, I almost blew the engine a couple of times with a missed shift from 5th to 2nd instead of to 4th! That had never happened with the Mazda. Had to relearn my shift technique -- looking at the 3 series forum looks like I'm not the only one who's had this problem with the MT. Also learning to parallel park took time, still have trouble judging how close a car is behind me since rear vision is too high to see the hood of most vehicles. Also, I don't know if there's a blind spot but I'm still having trouble when I do lane changes on the freeway, always have trouble spotting cars coming up fast on my right side.

So all in all it's a keeper, I'm happy! But it doesn't fit like a glove, and sometime in the future I'll be shopping again for another "perfect compromise", though that may be 10 years from now!

Thanks for listening.
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Inspection I is due at 30k miles....
Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Inspection I is due at 30k miles....
I think the onboard computer calculation trumps the 30K recommendation. Has anyone gotten the dealer to do a 30K service earlier than shown on the computer? (I seem to remember the dealers have a 1,000 mile grace period, anything earlier is not covered.)
Old 12-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
I think the onboard computer calculation trumps the 30K recommendation. Has anyone gotten the dealer to do a 30K service earlier than shown on the computer? (I seem to remember the dealers have a 1,000 mile grace period, anything earlier is not covered.)
I've never heard the OBC means a thing. You can reset the service interval yourself, so I doubt that it accidentally being reset would affect you being able to get an Inspection I. No dealer is going to turn you away with 30k miles on the car for an Inspection I.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
If BMW's records show that you haven't had an oil change in over a year, they will cover it regardless of what the OBC says.

Regarding the MT, yes there is a learning curve due the CDV. It makes the 1-2 shift especially jerky unless you let the clutch slip a bit. I still haven't found the time to remove it. BUT, I have never heard of the missing shift problem. IN 4 1/2 yrs of ownership, I can't recall ever accidentally going into the wrong gear.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Get the CDV removed

I have an E39 also and years ago we all had the CDV valve removed or drilled out and replaced so the dealer wouldn't know and there wouldn't be any potential warranty issues. The E39 is however has something of a "cult" following and was dissected front to back and top to bottoIwe could.

There was a guy who had drilled ones he would sell, you would then return your old one to him to keep the supply going. The CDV valve basically restricts the flow of fluid or lets it bleed off more slowly to keep from dumping the clutch too fast and potentially damaging the drive train. Removing or drilling the valve does not restrict the flow and there is a more direct connection between your foot and the clutch.

Find an independent who will do this for you and let us know the difference. For the E39 it was a night and day difference. CDV's suck.
If anyone is interested in pursuing I will contact Dave and see what he knows about the CDV on the X3. Let me know.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Shift at higher RPM's and don't worry about the cdv.

Shoot this has got to be the easiest shifting car I have ever owned.

Then again it shifts much smoother than an AT, lol.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic1 View Post
Regarding the MT, yes there is a learning curve due the CDV. It makes the 1-2 shift especially jerky unless you let the clutch slip a bit. I still haven't found the time to remove it. BUT, I have never heard of the missing shift problem. IN 4 1/2 yrs of ownership, I can't recall ever accidentally going into the wrong gear.
I haven't had a problem with the 1-2 shift. Easy enough that I've wondered whether the previous owner might have removed the CDV.

On the 5-4 shift, the gate's a lot tighter than my previous cars. I had to learn to press slightly to the right as I'm shifting to the left in order to avoid an inadvertent shift to 2nd. I found a neat sheet about shifting technique on Bimmerfest -- I'll try to find it later and post it here.