Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Don't know how immobilizer works, may be someone can comment on it. You don't seem to have any issues starting/cranking the car so I would think that battery is fine. The key battery, I am guessing it will be floating ground with positive on the key. One way to measure would be to get the key into ignition, and measure the voltage between whatever small part of key is out to car's chassis, and then take the key out and measure the voltage between the two points again. You should see only some little drop assuming the key is getting charged while it's inserted in the ignition. Evlengr, you can probably come up with a better method of measuring the key battery voltage.
I think the only way to do this is for me to test the voltage on my keys since I know they are good, and just a little over a year old. I have a good fluke meter at home that should do that.

Then we can see what Azn's are and either eliminate or resolve that as part of the equation.

I want to go to OEM and look at the schematics of the key system to see what else might be involved.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
I set up a service appointment at the dealer today, who also wasn't able to initialise it (well, I couldn't either, so that's not new). Afterwards, I stopped by the Autozone and while picking up a tyre pressure gauge, I asked if they could check if my remote was working. They pointed to a remote receiver, one of those things that tests if your remote was working and my remote was fine. It looks like a car problem and not a key problem.

They suggested it could be the antenna in the rearview mirror, which is what I think it is. The garage door buttons still work though. I'll check the fuse for the mirror tomorrow when it isn't all foggy and pouring.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Quote:
The time between initializations is important, they have to be done quickly.
I don't know if I can initialize any quicker. Oh well I guess I'm resigned to just having one remote working.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Thumbs down

So after spending over 4 hours at the dealer this morning/midday, we still don't know what's gone wrong.

After an hour, the tech noted faults in the ignition system so he suggested it could be something related to that. He needed more time, so I authorised another hour of labour so he could check that out. Despite a blown fuse, the problem still persisted. So he said he needed 1,5 hours to check the diversity antenna voltage/ground connection, with still no clear diagnosis. At this point, I refused any more labour hours and told him to put everything back together. I honestly don't have all day to spend at the dealership especially when there isn't a clear solution and I'm certainly not going to pay for 4-5 hours labour either.

So yeah, $258,84 for 2 hours of labour, and no fix.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Azn,

They have verfied the key works (transmits) correct?

Did they verify the reciever works (receives)?

Seems to me that is the first thing to check.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

The keys work fine

A possible problem was that car thinks the key is still in the ignition when it isn't. Hence, the key chime whenever the door is opened (even if the key is in my pocket). This was cleared and rectified, although I don't know if it will come back.

He says there are two sources where it receives the signal: the interior mirror (which has an antenna) and the rear receiver antenna, which he wanted to do. There was a blown fuse for the rearview mirror which he replaced, but the faults came back.

If you're thinking "How come he got so little done in 4 hours?", your guess is as good as mine. He spent an awful lot of time looking at the shop computer.

Feel free to call me to see if his explanations make any sense.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Another project to look around in darkness

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

They gave me the sheets (yes, plural) of the error codes today. Oddly, most of them dont have anything to do with the central locking and half of them I know existed well before the last few weeks.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
They gave me the sheets (yes, plural) of the error codes today. Oddly, most of them dont have anything to do with the central locking and half of them I know existed well before the last few weeks.

What are the ones that are new?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

These are the ones without explanation:
  • Interior lights, short circuit. fault frequency- 1 (happened once)
  • Central Locking, fuse, fault frequency 1
  • load/consumer shutdown, short circuit to ground, Freq- 1
  • (Panoramic moonroof) Control switch, sporadic fault, frequency 31 wtf? I've never noticed a problem with this
  • AUC Heating (climate control) Short circuit to negative, AUC sensor
  • Signal STDWA (only relevant with Anti-theft system); pitch sensor, passenger compartment sensor
  • radio control key
  • radio control receiver

Other faults and related explanations:
  • Washer pump, fuse- Currently not present, frequency 1 (It's listed twice, but I replaced the failed washer pump a few months back and it works fine)
  • Power Window, anti-trapp mechanism, passenger rear. frequency 5 (I've had problems with the rear pass window sometimes not auto-closing from day one)
  • VTG Oil wear (transfer case), value too high, excessive wear (transfer case fluid flushed back at Inspection II, probably not with OEM fluid. This fault has been here for awhile)

There's also an incidence of misfire in cylinders 1 and 6, probably caused by the sh*tty fuel we get here in the mountains combined with cold outside temperatures.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 12-10-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 AM

These all smell of a short to ground:

Interior lights, short circuit. fault frequency- 1 (happened once)
Central Locking, fuse, fault frequency 1
load/consumer shutdown, short circuit to ground, Freq- 1
(Panoramic moonroof) Control switch, sporadic fault, frequency 31 wtf? I've never noticed a problem with this
AUC Heating (climate control) Short circuit to negative, AUC sensor
Signal STDWA (only relevant with Anti-theft system); pitch sensor, passenger compartment sensor
radio control key
radio control receiver

Could water have leaked in somewhere and caused this? All it would take is one common ground shorting. BMW's electrics don't seem to have any fault tolerance and the slightest issue causes a cascade of problems.

Short answer is to find the common denominator to all these.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Well, there was a leak in A-pillar drain that might have caused issues, but this has been rectified and the tech claims that it isn't related to that. I've checked the area in the moonroof switch (where overhead lights, TCU are) and that area is dry with no signs of water entry.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Any idea about "when" these codes occurred? IIRC, OBC also stores time elapsed since code occurrence and that should point you to (if) something you changed around then.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Any idea about "when" these codes occurred? IIRC, OBC also stores time elapsed since code occurrence and that should point you to (if) something you changed around then.
Good to know--so they time stamp the errors?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Good to know--so they time stamp the errors?
When I had the SES light on, it had freeze frame data too with it, that included engine RPMs, speed, temperature and many other things at the time of error. I misunderstood a data there to be as timestamp, so guessed that it would store something like time elapsed since error. I was wrong, according to this document here http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h46.pdf (pp 10) it does not store time, this is a Toyota document though. On second thoughts, it won't be too difficult for auto manufacturers to implement it, just a backup battery with OBC and a crystal timer there. Now its a different case if car was left for a very long time so that both batteries discharged. Sorry for misinfo AzNM.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

With the X3 system, it does not store time/date information. You probably noticed that the newer BMWs with the MOST-BUS system allow time/date functions but the X3's older computer system does not. All it does is note how many times it occurred and whether it is still present.

The cylinder misfire is probably the most interesting of the fault codes, since I never get any warning lights on my dash.