Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM
mrbenyong mrbenyong is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 95
Mein Auto: E65 735 F10 535 Golf 5+6
Unhappy Disappointed with the X5 X6 compared to cayenne.

Yes im happy to hear that the x5m is reported to be better than the cayenne turbo. but im refering to the other models. most ppl will be buying lets say the deisel x5 3.oL or in the usa, the 4.8v8 which is really outdated compared to the cayenne S or gts. more importantly the drive of the cayenne is FAR better than the current x5.

have u driven the x5 urself? i drive the first version and wanted to buy the second (now out), but was very dissapointed when i drove my friend's. there was NO steering feel at all, and i could not connect to the road with it. also i didnt like the weight increase and NON 50/50 balance. its now 60/40.

the car doesnt give sheer driving pleasure, it was sheer comfort tho. much much more comfy than the one i own now.

seriously drive one and u will see that there is less BMW in the newest x5s. I also had the opportunity to drive the cayenne S, and it was so fun to drive, had great features too, throttle adjustment settings, and suspension adjustment settings. also the steering was direct and sharp. i feel the car in every tight bend, like i used to in my old x5.

i didnt drive the x5M and it seems better from what i read. but try both and feel which is better for driver satisfaction.

i love bmw, but hate it when they make it UNSPORTY.

and if u want to bring up the X6, i was really really looking foward to this car thrashing the cayenne, i was also disappointed. but the M version will most likely do that job, even tho not too many people will be buying that version.

realistically we should look at the 4.4L turbo vs the Cayenne GTS. on paper the BMW should be better, but actualy driving shows that the GTS again has the advantage.

Please watch this.




part 1 and 2.

Maybe u will understand what i mean when u see this.
Look at how uncontrolled the x6 is too. And the understeer. x5 doesnt even have the more advanced 4wd systems x6 has.

ok lets look back at the x5 4.8 SE


This was how the old one performed (GREATLY). This x5 i have.
.

By the way Cayenne is about to be phased out soon for the new one. so bmw at the moment is competing with the older model.

I do find the interior of BMW to be much better tho, but remember those days when BMW was about DRIVING? (remember 'ultimate driving machine'). what happened to those days? is that only for high priced M cars now?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 PM
EdCT's Avatar
EdCT EdCT is offline
zeddy
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,358
Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenyong View Post
... remember those days when BMW was about DRIVING? (remember 'ultimate driving machine'). what happened to those days? is that only for high priced M cars now?
In "those days" BMW didn't stick M badges on big, heavy trucks.

The X5 is a large SUV, a very nice one, but go drive a Z4, an e46 ZHP, or an E90 and you'll find the driving fun and pleasure you're missing from the X5.

You can't put your dogs, a bunch of kids and luggage for an extended weekend in the above cars, so enjoy the X5 for what it is, a luxury brand SUV.

And skip the M package, on an X5, M stands for "marketing".
__________________

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2009, 09:34 PM
rehostman rehostman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 648
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
Who buys an X5 for the sportiness? I've had an E53 X5 and currently owns an E70 X5 and I could not be happier. It carries a load, it is my winter ride, and it is somewhat fun to drive for a large SUV but when I want pure driving pleasure I drive my M3. You have to be smart and recognize the vehicle for what it is.

Porsche has a single purpose and it is to build a race vehicle whether it is a Boxster/Cayman, a 911, or a Cayenne so I am not surprised to hear that the Cayenne is a better performer than the X5.
__________________

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 PM
mrbenyong mrbenyong is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 95
Mein Auto: E65 735 F10 535 Golf 5+6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
In "those days" BMW didn't stick M badges on big, heavy trucks.

The X5 is a large SUV, a very nice one, but go drive a Z4, an e46 ZHP, or an E90 and you'll find the driving fun and pleasure you're missing from the X5.

You can't put your dogs, a bunch of kids and luggage for an extended weekend in the above cars, so enjoy the X5 for what it is, a luxury brand SUV.

And skip the M package, on an X5, M stands for "marketing".
yeah i understand that the M thing has become more of a marketing thing, im pissed of at it too

before u didnt need to buy the highest priced BMW to have driving enjoyment, but now

not to mention the e46 yeah thats really great to drive, even the underpowered 2.0L engine was great fun

but back to driving pleasure z4 again cant compare to the new boxter again the boxter with a few hundred KG difference, a LSD, better balance, has come up ontop again. z4 i predict will dominate the SLK! haha good news too. because it crosses into the comfy market? and i think its far better than the TT, unless ur talking about the 2.0Turbo TT :S

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322507

anyways i always loved bmw over porsche but these days, with the performance and driver centered focus porsche is heading, they might be losing a very loyal customer
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,351
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenyong View Post
they might be losing a very loyal customer
I am sure they are heartbroken....

But seriously, what is the point to your post? You don't like it, don't buy it... but posting an argument seeking to 'pick a fight' seems rather....strange.

Any yes, who buys an X5 for sportiness?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-30-2009, 02:35 AM
mrbenyong mrbenyong is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 95
Mein Auto: E65 735 F10 535 Golf 5+6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I am sure they are heartbroken....

But seriously, what is the point to your post? You don't like it, don't buy it... but posting an argument seeking to 'pick a fight' seems rather....strange.

Any yes, who buys an X5 for sportiness?
just wondering if there are ppl, that would like bmw to make the ultimate driving machine again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 PM
AM123 AM123 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Azerbaijan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
That film in youtube with that German guy and his senses is old and I watched it a few months ago. His goal was to beat X5 on GTS because GTS was new at that moment, and that was an aim of that advertisement. And purely psychologically he counted that Cayenne is better ( as it always seems to all rally professionals).

But X5 is MUCH nicer car while Cayenne is simply ugly. And second- I'm sure another professional could prove u that X5 is much better than GTS.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenyong View Post
actualy driving shows that the GTS again has the advantage.

Sounds to me like you should buy a GTS.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Cdnrockies Cdnrockies is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alberta
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 512
Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
This thread is so much fail.

First of all the X5 is an SUV....for what it is, it does very well. If you compare it to all of the other luxury competitors (ie. ML/GL, GX/LX, or whatever excluding Porsche) it handles better than 99% of the SUV's on the road.

The second consideration is price. I'm a big fan of the GTS as well, but the new X5M owns the GTS for much less money. Even a nicely equipped Cayenne S (because really....who buys a base Porsche....unless you're just buying it for the badge) is going to run $110K up here. Definitely not worth the extra $25K when compared directly with the X5.
__________________


'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
mrbenyong mrbenyong is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 95
Mein Auto: E65 735 F10 535 Golf 5+6
well, i cant say x5 is better handling than most SUVs which is why i got pissed off at it in the first place. i think the M should but the turbo n gts in its place which is great! yes ppl do buy SUV for sport these days, its a fact even tho enthusiast hate that fact but its true. (X5M).

the cayenne is just plain ugly, inside n out. compared to the x5 thats why i hopw bmw will make x5 drive better. especially for the non M models.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Cdnrockies Cdnrockies is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alberta
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 512
Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenyong View Post
well, i cant say x5 is better handling than most SUVs which is why i got pissed off at it in the first place. i think the M should but the turbo n gts in its place which is great! yes ppl do buy SUV for sport these days, its a fact even tho enthusiast hate that fact but its true. (X5M).

the cayenne is just plain ugly, inside n out. compared to the x5 thats why i hopw bmw will make x5 drive better. especially for the non M models.
Then you're completely full of shtt.

I've test driven just about every luxury SUV currently available and the X5 hands down handles better than everything but the X6, Porsche and would be comparable to a RR Sport.

Those that want a "sports" SUV don't want it for the "utility" aspect that most people desire. Doing 0-60 in a 5500 lb vehicle is simply a matter of showing off....or having too much money to burn. (And yes...I'd buy one with unlimited funds...but for no other reason).
__________________


'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey

Last edited by Cdnrockies; 12-01-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM
NetSpySD's Avatar
NetSpySD NetSpySD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
This thread is dumb.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but stating something as if is fact shows a lack of knowledge with BMWs.

If the intent is to simply whine and disagree, then this should be in off topic with the other whiners.

Also, I have no clue why someone in Malaysia would need an SUV, much less an X5/X6. This might be the issue since the OP could never go above 20MPH on the dirt roads.
__________________
2008 X6 xDrive 3.5
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 PM
0428's Avatar
0428 0428 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,566
Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Mr. Malaysia, with all the traffic and scooters on the roads, can you even go above 30 mph?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
550isport 550isport is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: 550i
You need to re-evaluate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenyong View Post
Yes im happy to hear that the x5m is reported to be better than the cayenne turbo. but im refering to the other models. most ppl will be buying lets say the deisel x5 3.oL or in the usa, the 4.8v8 which is really outdated compared to the cayenne S or gts. more importantly the drive of the cayenne is FAR better than the current x5.

have u driven the x5 urself? i drive the first version and wanted to buy the second (now out), but was very dissapointed when i drove my friend's. there was NO steering feel at all, and i could not connect to the road with it. also i didnt like the weight increase and NON 50/50 balance. its now 60/40.

the car doesnt give sheer driving pleasure, it was sheer comfort tho. much much more comfy than the one i own now.

seriously drive one and u will see that there is less BMW in the newest x5s. I also had the opportunity to drive the cayenne S, and it was so fun to drive, had great features too, throttle adjustment settings, and suspension adjustment settings. also the steering was direct and sharp. i feel the car in every tight bend, like i used to in my old x5.

i didnt drive the x5M and it seems better from what i read. but try both and feel which is better for driver satisfaction.

i love bmw, but hate it when they make it UNSPORTY.

and if u want to bring up the X6, i was really really looking foward to this car thrashing the cayenne, i was also disappointed. but the M version will most likely do that job, even tho not too many people will be buying that version.

realistically we should look at the 4.4L turbo vs the Cayenne GTS. on paper the BMW should be better, but actualy driving shows that the GTS again has the advantage.

Please watch this.




part 1 and 2.

Maybe u will understand what i mean when u see this.
Look at how uncontrolled the x6 is too. And the understeer. x5 doesnt even have the more advanced 4wd systems x6 has.

ok lets look back at the x5 4.8 SE


This was how the old one performed (GREATLY). This x5 i have.
.

By the way Cayenne is about to be phased out soon for the new one. so bmw at the moment is competing with the older model.

I do find the interior of BMW to be much better tho, but remember those days when BMW was about DRIVING? (remember 'ultimate driving machine'). what happened to those days? is that only for high priced M cars now?
The points have been made by prior posters, but the Cayenne is the car in need of help. My wife's E70 X5 4.8 had a sticker price of $74,900.00. I went to the Porsche website and an equivalent Cayenne S with the same equipment came to $93,000.00.

We had an 04' X5 as well. It's true that the new one is a much more complicated machine, using computers and trick engineering to bend the laws of physics. Let me say that the car performs when you push it. Slow cruising is not its strong point. But it has incredible lateral grip in corners, great brakes and rock solid stability. It took me a few months to come around. At first I was missing the old X5, but now I see the light. I have spent time in Cayennes. Although the GTS is fantastic (due mostly to its lowered sport suspension), its small inside and the interior is lame. Posters joke that the M is for marketing with the MX5/6, which may be true, but there is no bigger marketing HOAX than the porsche badge slapped on a VW SUV.

Cayenne is very good. No better than an X5 overall, and considering its price and the lineage behind its badge, it should be objectively better.

DRP
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
EdCT's Avatar
EdCT EdCT is offline
zeddy
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,358
Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550isport View Post
Posters joke that the M is for marketing with the MX5/6, which may be true, but there is no bigger marketing HOAX than the porsche badge slapped on a VW SUV.
Considering the fact that the 911 has its lineage going all the way back to the VW Beetle, it's not so odd, really.

Ed
__________________

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 PM
EdCT's Avatar
EdCT EdCT is offline
zeddy
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,358
Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpySD View Post
This thread is dumb.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but stating something as if is fact shows a lack of knowledge with BMWs.

If the intent is to simply whine and disagree, then this should be in off topic with the other whiners.

Also, I have no clue why someone in Malaysia would need an SUV, much less an X5/X6. This might be the issue since the OP could never go above 20MPH on the dirt roads.
You have two AWD vehicles and you live in southern CA ...
__________________

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:32 PM
mrbenyong mrbenyong is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 95
Mein Auto: E65 735 F10 535 Golf 5+6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Mr. Malaysia, with all the traffic and scooters on the roads, can you even go above 30 mph?

well actually one of the perks of living in a developing country is that u have great roads to drive on, its quite open n big here. and no law enforcement.

i mean, u can practically drive like its a tarmac rally here in malaysia without giving a **** about the law and cops. and if u get pulled over just give then 10-15 USD and tell them to f*ck off.

seriously i was driving in australia, yes u can buy cars cheap there. but everywhere u go, its 70-100 kmh. or 40-60mph. so what if u have something more than 200hp, if u REALLY use it u will get pulled over fast..

here if u want u have 3 lanes, that say its 80kmh, but ppl u can drive 170kmh.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM
mrbenyong mrbenyong is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 95
Mein Auto: E65 735 F10 535 Golf 5+6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpySD View Post
This thread is dumb.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but stating something as if is fact shows a lack of knowledge with BMWs.

If the intent is to simply whine and disagree, then this should be in off topic with the other whiners.

Also, I have no clue why someone in Malaysia would need an SUV, much less an X5/X6. This might be the issue since the OP could never go above 20MPH on the dirt roads.
well i have no idea why anyone needs an x5 or x6 to being with. they dont go off road, but just look like they can.

i hate Range rover, but they actually can go off road... so can the Cayenne.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenyong View Post
well i have no idea why anyone needs an x5 or x6 to being with. they dont go off road, but just look like they can.

i hate Range rover, but they actually can go off road... so can the Cayenne.

Nobody needs ANY BMW to begin with...


Why did I get an X5 rather than a 5 series?

I like the high seating position, as you can see much farther in rush hour traffic and anticipate stops. I like the Winter snow capability with the AWD and higher clearance. I have no interest in going off-road and that's not why I bought an X5. I like the "station wagon" form, vs. the normal trunk form factor. A 5 series wagon would be OK, but it wouldn't have the seat height/visibility or the snow clearance, and it's not really cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 AM
NetSpySD's Avatar
NetSpySD NetSpySD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
For those who are stuck in the 1960's.

Four wheel drive was developed for off road.

Full time all-wheel drive was developed for on road traction. It has nothing to do with off roading.

Subaru, Audi, BMW, etc. all offer cars for on-road use. In addition, tasks suck as hauling a boat trailer out of the water can benefit from all wheel drive since the two rear wheels are usually in several inches of water.

People buy the X5/6/Cayenee/ML, etc. not for off roading as this was not their intent. Especially with 20"+ performance tires. Their intent was creater a luxury vehicle, higher riding than a car that has utility, comfort and performance.

So stop thinking like a red neck with a pickup in a cow pasture.
__________________
2008 X6 xDrive 3.5
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 AM
NetSpySD's Avatar
NetSpySD NetSpySD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenyong View Post
well i have no idea why anyone needs an x5 or x6 to being with. they dont go off road, but just look like they can.

Ihate Range rover, but they actually can go off road... so can the Cayenne.
This can be said for any BMW or any other luxury car.

Why get a tiny M3 that gets worse gas mileage than an SUV? Why? Why? Why?

Why get a Rolex when a timex will do? Why? Why? Why?
__________________
2008 X6 xDrive 3.5
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-12-2009, 06:32 AM
mrbenyong mrbenyong is offline
Registered User
Location: Malaysia
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 95
Mein Auto: E65 735 F10 535 Golf 5+6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpySD View Post
This can be said for any BMW or any other luxury car.

Why get a tiny M3 that gets worse gas mileage than an SUV? Why? Why? Why?

Why get a Rolex when a timex will do? Why? Why? Why?
well usually, besides the lux reasons, i always loved the feeling of driving with the bmws... so i would gladly pay more. as opposed to a lifeless steering by toyota / lexus. BUT the current x5 dont have it so i dont like it. so wont buy it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,526
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Anyone who would question the need for 4-WD/AWD vehicles in Malaysia has never been through a Monsoon Season there.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:11 AM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,406
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Both of my X5's are perfectly fine off-road. HDC helps a lot. They are also perfectly fine doing triple digit speeds on the Interstate, inching along in rush hour traffic, hauling huge quantities of kid stuff to whereever the little darlings need to go, and are great fun hustling down back roads on the days my M3 is in the garage.

What is the Malaysian word for "troll"? Obviously the X5 isn't for you. Buy a P car and go hang out being an azz on their forums.
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms