Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Snow Shoes Going On Next Weekend...

The cold, snow and sleet are on the horizon and the snow shoes are going on next weekend...

No way do I want to be caught in that with Sport 20's on even with XDrive.

I found a decent used set of OZ 18's mounted on Pirelli Runflat Snows, but damn the aesthetics are still going to go to hell till Spring

Gotta say I'm anxious to see how the vehicle handles with the X-Drive..The X6 owner of the snows I bought told me the vehicle is just incredible with X-Drive and Winter rubber..

Anyone want to chime in with their experiences? It's my first year with an AWD Bimmer. Always had RWD with winter tires.
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax

Last edited by midwest bmw; 10-21-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-24-2009, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X6 35i
I'm running OEM all-seasons on the 19" sport package. My last car was a RWD E93 with winter RFT snows, and it handled surprisingly well in snow. It's been a few years since I've had AWD or 4WD, and I'm looking forward to it again (even wth all-season tires). I drove through a few inches of wet snow yesterday in Mendota Heights, and the vehicle was solid and stable. With DPC and DTC and XYZ, I have a feeling it will be incredible in snow. Especially with your tires.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I'm running OEM all-seasons on the 19" sport package. My last car was a RWD E93 with winter RFT snows, and it handled surprisingly well in snow. It's been a few years since I've had AWD or 4WD, and I'm looking forward to it again (even wth all-season tires). I drove through a few inches of wet snow yesterday in Mendota Heights, and the vehicle was solid and stable. With DPC and DTC and XYZ, I have a feeling it will be incredible in snow. Especially with your tires.
Hey Barmats -- Did you make it to Motorwerks cocktail party Friday night? I was planning to go but didn't get back in town in time...

I wanted to go with the 19" all seasons, but it was major league hassle with bmw leasing, so I just kept the summer 20's..I'm sure your 19's will be fine with Xdrive this winter.
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Old 10-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X6 35i
Cocktail party??? Now you tell me... I didn't hear about it, but I couldn't have gone, anyway. I'd better give Dylan a hard time for not letting met know.

The X6 I bought had the 20" wheel/tire package on it initially, but they switched back to the 19 inchers because apparently people "complained" about needing to buy snow tires. I love the look of the big fat 315's on the rear, and am actually looking for an OEM used set to buy. Then, I'd take the all-season tires off the 19" wheels and put snows on them for the winter. From the dealer, the 20" wheel & tire set is unbelievably expensive (I think it's $5k or $6k), and there's no way I'm paying that much. I've seen used sets with little or no mileage for just over $3k. I really like the style 214 y-spoke wheels, and I'll be keeping my eyes open for a set of 'em.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
18's are too small on a x6, at least 19 and up
Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 650i
but why do you guys want winters with the X-Drive? I went on ski trips to vermont with summer 20s.....last year! Since then the tires have a few thousand miles on so I was looking to buy some 20" snows but then not sure if 275/40 will fit on the rear wheels of the STyle 214 at all....315 is super hard to find in winters.....I might just keep the summers on...
Old 12-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD650 View Post
but why do you guys want winters with the X-Drive? I went on ski trips to vermont with summer 20s.....last year! Since then the tires have a few thousand miles on so I was looking to buy some 20" snows but then not sure if 275/40 will fit on the rear wheels of the STyle 214 at all....315 is super hard to find in winters.....I might just keep the summers on...
Dude --

Xdrive or not, summer rubber is just that - good for summer only...It is not intended for cold temps, snow, ice etc..The rubber will turn as hard as hockey pucks.

Please don't put yourself and others around you at risk by driving summer tires in the winter and in the NE portion if the US
Old 12-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest bmw View Post
Dude --

Xdrive or not, summer rubber is just that - good for summer only...It is not intended for cold temps, snow, ice etc..The rubber will turn as hard as hockey pucks.

Please don't put yourself and others around you at risk by driving summer tires in the winter and in the NE portion if the US
Hmm....strangely I did not experience any slipping/ sliding last year...anyway, can you asnwer my second question - if 275/40 will fit on the 11" wide rears? thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6M White/Cinnamon
Yup, I have them on my X6M stock wheels...
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2009 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunacanuck View Post
Yup, I have them on my X6M stock wheels...
I have heard its an extremely tight fit and might damage your rims.....