Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Wipers Not Working (E34)

Need help...I'm out of things to try to resolve this issue.

I have a 1990 535 that the wipers suddenly stop working while driving in the rain. (They stopped in the off position.)

Here's what I've done with no success.
- Check to see what works on the wiper control switch/stalk (on the steering column) - while the wipers no not work in any setting, the washer pump worked when pressing the wiper control for washer fluid. (Makes me think the the wiper control switch does work but have an electrical problem elsewhere)
- Checked the wiper fuses in the engine compartment, non are blown and appear good.
- Checked the wiper relay in the fuse box under the rear set by switching it with another one and still the wipers do not work.
- Bought a used wiper motor (had it check when I bought it and it worked at the shop) and replace it. Wipers still do not work.
- Bought a used wiper control switch / stalk and STILL wipers do not work.

I'm out of options, has anyone experience this and found a fix? Many thanks. Ed
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1993 525iT
Jumper the power contacts on the wiper relay socket and see if the wipers work. If they do, that eliminates any problem with the motor and wiring from relay to motor.
Next jumper the switch contacts on the relay and re-insert. If that also brings the wipers on then the problem is either in the wiper switch or the wiring from it to the relay.
If neither of those work then check the grounding of the wiper motor.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Thank you for the quick response. This is my first time on Bimmerfest and have see your name while researching.

I will check as suggested. Questions, when you say "jumper", you mean, connect leads from the battery (+/-) to the appropriate leads on the contacts both in the motor and relay (insert power from battery to into where the reply plugs in?).

Also, any chance that the GM unit can be causing this problem? Thank you again for the reply.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:45 PM

I don't think the GM module would be the culprit otherwise you would have multiple electrical issues.

When I say "Jumper" the contacts, I mean the actual connections of the relay or socket. A relay has a 'switch' circuit and a 'power' circuit. When the switch is closed, the relay circuit energises a coil that closes a contact on the power circuit allowing the device to operate. The relay socket usually has 4 contacts, 2 switch and 2 power. You will need to refer to a wiring diagram to determine which is which. By jumpering the 'power contacts' of the wiper relay socket you are in effect feeding power directly to the wiper motor, by-passing the relay. By wiring a temporary jumper to the 'switch contacts' on the relay and re-inserting it to the socket, you are by-passing the wiper switch.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Understand. I do have a wiring diagram. Assuming I'm looking for the positive individual sockets. And now for the really simple questions. How do you jump the reply physically. Is there something special. (short piece of wire that can be used etc.)
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 PM

A short piece of wire will do fine for checking these things out. Use a paperclip if you don't have any wire.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW/Chevy
Hey while you guys are talking about wipers, do you think the reason why wipers don't move is because of a seized motor?? The car sat for a long time, fuses are good, windshield washers work, but when I go to flip on the wipers, the wipers don't move, they move ever so slightly, but not enough to do anything major, my guess is a frozen, seized motor, i am buying one from a guy on here to replace, but you think that is probably the cause tourburing???
Old 09-28-2009, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by iedavalos View Post
Need help...I'm out of things to try to resolve this issue.

I have a 1990 535 that the wipers suddenly stop working while driving in the rain. (They stopped in the off position.)

Here's what I've done with no success.
- Check to see what works on the wiper control switch/stalk (on the steering column) - while the wipers no not work in any setting, the washer pump worked when pressing the wiper control for washer fluid. (Makes me think the the wiper control switch does work but have an electrical problem elsewhere)
- Checked the wiper fuses in the engine compartment, non are blown and appear good.
- Checked the wiper relay in the fuse box under the rear set by switching it with another one and still the wipers do not work.
- Bought a used wiper motor (had it check when I bought it and it worked at the shop) and replace it. Wipers still do not work.
- Bought a used wiper control switch / stalk and STILL wipers do not work.

I'm out of options, has anyone experience this and found a fix? Many thanks. Ed
There is an additional fuse for the wipers under the rear seat. I think it is a 7.5 amp fuse, have you checked that one?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:20 PM

? No, I thought the only 7.5 fuses were under the hood. There is a wiper relay under the back seat if that's what you mean. I'll double check under the rear seat for a fuse. tx
Old 09-28-2009, 06:25 PM

If the motor is moving then it must be getting power. The wiper motor is connected to a linkage or wiper transmission. It sounds like it's stuck. To trouble shoot it, you need to remove the cover under the wipers. Get a manual that walks you through it. You might need to apply some lubricant. Otherwise you can get a wiper motor for ~$50-75 online or at your local salvage yard.

Understand and will try. thank you.

? No, I thought the only 7.5 fuses were under the hood. There is a wiper relay under the back seat if that's what you mean. I'll double check under the rear seat for a fuse. tx
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM

I did check the box and Bentley manual and is does have a fuse number 44 listed (30amp) for windshield wiper control (SWS). Any idea how i can locate that fuse as there's no fuse layout picture in the book nor on the cover plate of the rear power box?
Old 11-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Update: Thank you to all who provide information, much appreciated.

The problem has been solved. Here's the story, after trying all the above i finally had to take it to my bmw mechanic. The problem was a fuse ($.95) was apparently had popped out of the socket. Sounds strange but that's what happened as when i went through and checked all the fuses, I didn't realize that one was missing. Very frustration but the wipers are working properly.

If anyone is interested in a discounted used wiper motor, stalk switch or GM unit. Pls send me an email. Good Day. Ed
Old 12-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1991 535i Manual Sedan
Wow, not sure that I would admit that