Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Changes in X3 with winter.

Does X3 increase idling RPMs with decrease in temperature? And not just at start-up but in a fully warmed up car that has been driven for 30 kms. The temps have been really low here lately, it broke the record for coldest temperature today in last 115 years; and since the day temperature dropped below -20 C I observed that X3's idle RPM rose by about 100. It used to idle at about 700 and now idles at about 800. Is it normal? I would get to know by Wednesday if it decreases it back as temperatures rise to 0 C for a couple of days.

I opened the sun roof in tilt position and there was a noticeable "pop" sound. I stopped and checked the edges for any ice formation etc, none found. Seals looked fine too. Tried closing and tilting it again, no sound. I am hoping it was just frost, but any other thoughts.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2009, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Mine does the exact same thing for the idling, I keep thinking the engine is cold because of the higher RPM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Yeah thats normal. Have any of y'all ever driven a Japanese car? Their idle rpm when cold is ridiculous.......it's 1500rpm with a cold start (and I dont mean cold weather, just any time the engine is cold)
Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Yeah thats normal. Have any of y'all ever driven a Japanese car? Their idle rpm when cold is ridiculous.......it's 1500rpm with a cold start (and I dont mean cold weather, just any time the engine is cold)
Yes, I understand the higher RPM with cold "start" but what about a fully warmed up car? Why does a warmed up car need to be idled at higher RPM in colder weather?

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 12-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Yes, I understand the higher RPM with cold "start" but what about a fully warmed up car? Why does a warmed up car need to be idled at higher RPM in colder weather?
100rpm difference isn't really serious and won't affect fuel consumption all that much. Since there are sensors and computers that compensate for environmental factors to ensure the optimum air/fuel ratio, it might change things around depending on how cold it is.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Does X3 increase idling RPMs with decrease in temperature? And not just at start-up but in a fully warmed up car that has been driven for 30 kms. The temps have been really low here lately, it broke the record for coldest temperature today in last 115 years; and since the day temperature dropped below -20 C I observed that X3's idle RPM rose by about 100. It used to idle at about 700 and now idles at about 800. Is it normal? I would get to know by Wednesday if it decreases it back as temperatures rise to 0 C for a couple of days.

I opened the sun roof in tilt position and there was a noticeable "pop" sound. I stopped and checked the edges for any ice formation etc, none found. Seals looked fine too. Tried closing and tilting it again, no sound. I am hoping it was just frost, but any other thoughts.
Why would you open your sunroof at -20C I don't open mine below +20C :-)

I hope you didn't break anything.

2007 X3 3.0si - Wife's Car
2004 X3 2.5i - Daughter's Car
2003 K1200RS - Dad's Toy
2001 750 iL - Retired by me in 2005 - Great Car but wanted AWD
1995 750 iL - Retired by me in 2002 - Great Car
Old 12-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
I think that was just frost on your snrf. On the rare occasion mine is parked outdoors at home and it's wet out at night...there's a little pop in the morning. Obv, I wouldn't open it if it's caked in ice.

Mine only idles slightly higher, but kicks back down when it warms up. My old E30 318i used to keep the revs up in the winter, and, for the life of me I couldn't understand the logic behind that. An ICE-COLD head, block, piston rings, etc. and it would start with a snarl. We checked everything - thermostat, electronics, etc. Couldn't figure it out. But the idea of cold metal scraping on metal...

On a side note/post hijack, I want to say that my ride in to work this morning was perfect BMW ride. Smooth, no traffic...nice and cozy with the heated seats and a good cuppa joe.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
I leave the sunroof closed in cold temps. Just too many problems if it is stuck because of freezing. I open the panel to let light in only.

I don't notice the idle speed being higher in cold weather with our 2007 x3, but it makes sense to me if it does as all the running gear is much stiffer then and may need the extra oumph to move off.

George Allan
Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
100rpm difference isn't really serious and won't affect fuel consumption all that much. Since there are sensors and computers that compensate for environmental factors to ensure the optimum air/fuel ratio, it might change things around depending on how cold it is.
Yes indeed, the temperature dropped to -20 last evening and idle rpm is back to 700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaldeborgh View Post
Why would you open your sunroof at -20C I don't open mine below +20C :-)

I hope you didn't break anything.
it was actually -35 I had to open it to let a bit of fresh air in as it had become kinda toasty inside with heater at full blast, I know, I know.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)