Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-16-2009, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: E34 525i
Tough Question cant find an Answer

An M50 head on a M30 block.. Does everything except Cams and Valves all cross over to the M50 or will I have to get M50 Intake manifold, Injectors, Fuel rail, Spark plugs, Dizzy?

Or

Is it a straight bolt on?

Can you disable the Vanos to put it onto the M30?

Thanks in advance, Here in NZ there seems to be NO M30 heads ANYWHERE and everyone has M50s...
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 525iA
I don't believe the water or oil passages line up either as well as being physically a different size.

Instead of looking for just the head, maybe look for a complete motor. I know it is more than you are asking for, but I know at least here in the states the whole longblock often goes for not much more than just the head alone, and God knows the M30 is a plentiful motor. Try eBay as well for a head; the European eBay should have plenty of M30 heads floating around.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: E34 525i
Thanks for the answer I did a google search for M50 head on M30 Block and if its been done before it would have found something but it didnt so I think your correct, Never been done, Never will work...

Yeah, Thought about that but dont like buying Internationally lol would rather get something from Inside the country but here in NZ no one seems to be selling them
Old 12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
New Guy of the Month

Mein Auto: 98 528i 96 318iC
That would not work, they are different engines all together.

Maybe just get a whole m50.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
What he said.

Save a headache by getting an entire motor and do it right.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 525iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mador View Post
Thanks for the answer I did a google search for M50 head on M30 Block and if its been done before it would have found something but it didnt so I think your correct, Never been done, Never will work...

Yeah, Thought about that but dont like buying Internationally lol would rather get something from Inside the country but here in NZ no one seems to be selling them
Have you tried asking around other forums with a little more traffic though? Bimmerfest is a great forum, but sometimes other sites like Bimmerforums has a little more traffic flowing through it, which often involves some salvage parts places that deal specifically with German cars posting in the forums. That is how I've gotten a few parts for my car.

Purchasing on eBay can feel sketchy if you aren't use to it, but as long as you are dealing with a seller who has sold a lot of items with a good rating (98%+) usually means you are in good hands, and if anything goes bad, you just dispute it in Paypal. I use PayPal to purchase things directly through forums with no promise outside of a PM saying 'I am sending it'. Never had a problem yet (again, deal with people with a good number of posts and is established in the forum).

Hope that helps!