Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-11-2009, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 525i
How do I Program the Key FOB?

I just recently bought a '95 525i and the Key FOB doesn't work, I opened it up and found that there is a chip inside that was not seatced properly. I seated that properly, but the Key FOB still didn't work. Does anyone know how to program that Key FOB? If so, can you give me the steps to do so. I dislike having to open the doors with the key. I will be putting in a security system with remote start in the near future, but would like the factory Key FOB to work, for now anyways.
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E34 540I
It is an original BMW system not some aftermarket system?When BMW and with the key with two buttons it goes like this:

Put the key in the ignition and turn into contact position 1 then within 5 seconds remove the key and press the top button keep it pushed in and then push the other button 3 times very short after eachother.Then let go off button 1 and the led should slowly go on and off.Aim the key while blinking on the mirror as close as you can and push a buton.When all goes ok the car will lock and unlock it selve and then it is ok.

Do not expect this works at the first go.It can take several times before it works.

Alex
Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Thanks, yes it is an original BMW system, I will try and see if it works (I hope so). Will let you know, thanks again.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Before you start and maybe get frustrated that it does not work check the key.If the led works it is not automaticly ok.There is a trick to check it.If you take a digital camera and keep the key before the lense then push a button you will see if the key sends a signal yes or no.Then you know if the key works ok.

Alex
Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 PM

The key FOB is not part of the Key itself. It is like a keychain, separate from the key. I heard that the chip (looks like a cell phone sim card) may need to be put into a port on the car (may be located under the back seat) and then something done with the key in the ignition to program it, which is why I asked here.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Stupid question:

You do not have a guidebook that belongs to the car?Because in there for sure is mentioned how to do it?This is another system then I have so I do not know if it works the same as with the key.

Alex
Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM

I think it came with one, haven't looked in it yet. The other half hasn't let me drive it yet, LOL.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Start reading it and I think it will make you a lot smarter

Alex
Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 PM

will do
Old 12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
That procedure is for the RF system that has the sensor in the dash vent and the key itself is the remote. For the other system I read somewhere that you have to remove the chip and put it in the box under the rear seat to program it. Sorry but I don't remember the other steps. Do a search in Google and you should find it, it's out there because I've seen it!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM

I found out how, had to remove the chip and put it into the keyless entry control module, put the key in on mode, press the reset button inside the keyless entry module for 10 seconds, turn the key to off mode, remove the chip and put it into the key fob to test it. Worked the first time.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:03 AM

Found the info on it here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...rm-Install.htm

However, here is the part that I needed.

Shown here is the BMW factory keyless alarm unit installed on cars up through August 1995. This controller works with the three-button remote shown in the left inset photo. The alarm controller is programmed to work with a specific remote by synchronizing the small chip in the remote to the alarm unit. Open up the alarm remote, and carefully remove the small chip (red arrow, lower right inset). Then pull out the alarm unit from your car, leaving the main wire harness attached. Insert the chip from the remote into the connector in the unit (blue arrow). Then turn on the ignition, and press the reset button for at least 10 seconds (green arrow). The red alarm indicator on your center console should flash, indicating that the codes have been read and accepted. Turn off the ignition, reinstall the chip in your remote, and test it—it should work! The later-style two-button remote used from September 1995 (upper right inset) uses a different synchronization method described in the main text.

(see attached picture to see the arrows)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic6-01.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	212185