Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5
!!! BMW Quality !!!

Hi all,

Really need your honest opinion here. I used to have a 1994 740i (bought it 1997), and it was great, must say its one of the best cars I ever driven (probably still is). However, it broken down, problem with transmission 2 years after i had it. Dealer quote to fix back then was 8k.. I traded in for a new car - Acura TL. I also heard a few stories about how BMW (German) cars doesn't last long, especially compared to Japanese counterparts. Requires a lot more $$ to fix problems and maintain. What are your thoughts??!?!?!??

I'm strongly considering getting the X5 diesel, but really have concerns about potential costs in the future, your input is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
tommy
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8i
go buy what you like.

I have 07 x5 4.8i which was quiet early build. I have few issues with A/C, rattles. Some of the issues are still exist and I am going back to dealer next week. But I like the car very much. There is no other choice in this class. M-class is to boxy, look like big box to me.
Range rover is too expansive, same for Cayene( V6 is not real porche) so whatelse do we have option? RX350 is lower class, New GX looks ugly. LX is again too expansive.
That is why I ended up with x5. The x5 is for my wife, and she loves it. For me , Once a while, I check her car, and bring it back to dealer for repair or fix. So far, not major issues. I really like the handling of this x5.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
OP- A five year old car, with likely NO MAINTENANCE on the automatic transmission fluid... and a thief of a dealer quoting $8k does not translate to any broad conclusion.

Go to consumer reports and look at SPECIFIC cars, SPECIFIC manufacturers for reliability, quality and cost information...these data are culled from hundreds or thousands of owners. Not 20 here in this BMW board!

The days of "All Japanese" or "all German" or "All american"", are over.

A
Old 12-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
All I can say, don't own the diesel X5 without a warranty.

Craig
Old 12-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker22 View Post
I have 07 x5 4.8i which was quiet early build. I have few issues with A/C, rattles. Some of the issues are still exist and I am going back to dealer next week. But I like the car very much. There is no other choice in this class. M-class is to boxy, look like big box to me.
Range rover is too expansive, same for Cayene( V6 is not real porche) so whatelse do we have option? RX350 is lower class, New GX looks ugly. LX is again too expansive.
That is why I ended up with x5. The x5 is for my wife, and she loves it. For me , Once a while, I check her car, and bring it back to dealer for repair or fix. So far, not major issues. I really like the handling of this x5.
I really didn't understand your post.

BMW X5 4.8 being fully loaded ( go to www.bmwusa.com and add all packages there) costs 80 K, with M-package instead of Sport-package is around 83K. So that the car is not actually cheaper than Lexus LX570 or Cayenne -S with 4.8 engine or say Mercedes GL550. Another story that in BMW u may NOT to add all options and buy it say for 60K.

Now to the first post. I have 5-th sedan bought in 2006. I drove also X5 and has some experience. I also have Lexus LX470. In quality Lexus is not reachable, no breaks in 6 years ! With BMW I had a lot of problems. BUT-BUT-BUT dynamics of BMW worth those many breaks, japan cars are not even close in dynamics and enjoyment for a driver.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Old timer

Mein Auto: 06 X5, 01 Z3, 06 997
So many Diesels in Europe, they must be OK...no?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:22 PM

thanks for the responses folks. FYI - the 8k fix mentioned was to replace the transmission. Any case, many of you mentioned about a lot of problems with bmw, however the enjoyment of it 'outweights' the pain of getting them fix. UNDERSTOOD! However, want to clarify the 'fix'. Is that mostly out of pocket fixes or are they mostly covered under warranty? My budget is tight, yes I can afford to get the X5, but I rather not spend another 5-10k just get the machine fix every now and then for the life of the car (hopefully 10 yrs).

Note: the TL I traded in for back in 1998... I still drive it, its been 12 years and no major problems.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 xdrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogibooo View Post
thanks for the responses folks. FYI - the 8k fix mentioned was to replace the transmission. Any case, many of you mentioned about a lot of problems with bmw, however the enjoyment of it 'outweights' the pain of getting them fix. UNDERSTOOD! However, want to clarify the 'fix'. Is that mostly out of pocket fixes or are they mostly covered under warranty? My budget is tight, yes I can afford to get the X5, but I rather not spend another 5-10k just get the machine fix every now and then for the life of the car (hopefully 10 yrs).

Note: the TL I traded in for back in 1998... I still drive it, its been 12 years and no major problems.
I traded in my 2007 X5 for a 2010 X5 35d, specifically because I didn't want to drive it out of warranty. If I added up every repair, maintenance cost on my X5 through 48,000 miles, it was about $3,000 AT LEAST. I've had 4 BMW's and I've never driven any of them past the warranty period.

But in the X5 35d purchase, I'm hoping to go 100,000 miles. I have already budgeted for the extended maintenance and warranty to extend to 100,000 miles. Current costs of both will be about $7,000 and I will purchase just prior to end of current factory warranty. If for nothing else, for the piece of mind knowing I won't be hit for any expensive repair costs or denials of warranty coverage for any maintenance work done outside of the BMW dealership.

But a reliable BMW? Nah...not in comparison to the ACURA's and Lexus's of the world. But my BMW is much more fun to drive than any SUV/SAV offered by those companies, IMO.
2010 BMW X5 35d - current (nevada leather, sports activity pkg., premium sound, tech pkg., entertainment pkg., cold weather pkg., rear climate control pkg., premium pkg., comfort access, multi-contour seats)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i - retired (nappa leather, premium pkg., sports pkg. including adaptive drive, tech pkg., cold weather pkg.)

2007 BMW 335i - retired
2005 BMW 325ci - retired
Old 12-27-2009, 08:26 PM

thanks again for the feedback, now you are scaring me the fact that you wouldn't want to chance driving it without any warranty :O Anymore feedbacks from others? I'm really ok with minor problems, like a/c, lights, radio, etc.. What I don't want to have or common to have is problems with engine not able to start - things of that nature.

Again, your inputs are very valuable, please keep them coming!
thanks!!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
thanks again for the feedback, now you are scaring me the fact that you wouldn't want to chance driving it without any warranty :O Anymore feedbacks from others? I'm really ok with minor problems, like a/c, lights, radio, etc.. What I don't want to have or common to have is problems with engine not able to start - things of that nature.

Again, your inputs are very valuable, please keep them coming!
thanks!!
We had an '05 Lexus RX330 prior to picking up our '09 ML 320 Bluetec. We also had an '03 X5 4.4 for several months that had been in the family for it's lifespan. It had a small oil leak that BMW was quoting roughly $4000 to fix (valve cover gasket leak $1800; some valve that was plugged $1700; and coolant pan leak...I just assumed it would be at least $500). I sold it 4 days later. Like others have said I would have zero interest in owning any German vehicle outside of warranty.

My father's previous '01 X5 was one of the biggest pos that he has ever owned. He had it into the shop 20 times in 18 months. Anything and everything went wrong with that vehicle.

Our RX was pretty much bulletproof although it had 2 small issues that were both covered under warranty in the 4 years that we owned it. (loose panel over the gas tank and a faulty CD player).

Our 8 month old ML has been a pita to this point. There have been zero issues that affected driveability, but they have been more than annoying. We have had 4 CEL's; a broken wiper blade; a window seal that came down with the window; a driver's side window that doesn't operate correctly. All of the CEL's have been tied to the Bluetec and have ranged from bad sensors to a frozen Adblue pump. Mercedes has developed new software to deal with the Bluetec issues that will be installed next week.

Our decision to pass on another RX had everything to do with a bad dealer that we weren't interested in doing business with and nothing to do with the new vehicle. The RX certainly doesn't handle like an X5 but it does many things as well if not better for a fraction of the price. I'd suggest the RX is the most luxurious/comfortable out of this group.

The ML is right in between the RX and X5. It handles better than the Lexus but not as well as the X5. It also fits in between the two for comfort as well.

Our decision to go with the new X5 35d is more of a test to see how reliable a current model BMW is and what the local dealership is like to work with. I ideally want the new F10 M5 in a couple but am not willing to spend that kind of money on a vehicle if the reliablity is still an issue....regardless of how well it drives.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by daka View Post
So many Diesels in Europe, they must be OK...no?
In general, yes. But not bullet proof. MB has problems right now with injectors failing a lot and a colleague's older 5 series diesel went through a couple of injectors before reaching 60000 miles.

The engine in the X5d has been modified specifically for the US market, AFAIK from some of the posts here, and presumably doesn't have a long track record from which to judge it's reliability.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
In general, yes. But not bullet proof. MB has problems right now with injectors failing a lot and a colleague's older 5 series diesel went through a couple of injectors before reaching 60000 miles.

The engine in the X5d has been modified specifically for the US market, AFAIK from some of the posts here, and presumably doesn't have a long track record from which to judge it's reliability.
I understood the US mods were to soften valve clatter noise only and are of a nature that should not alter reliability.

CndRockies: Your experience is similar to ours. We went from an 04 RX330 (bulletproof and a luxury carpet ride) to a 2010 RX450h (very fast acceleration with everything but an arisewipe convience) for the wife. I had an ML 500 a few years back and it had many warranty issues but I loved how it was a truck with a lot of utility while still being sporty. I have the 2010 X5d and it reminds me of the ML but sportier and so far more reliable and definetly better MPG.

Once I get more experience with both the 450h and X5d I will write up a comparison for all. Thus far, the RX keeps me from being too smug with my X5d!

Last edited by XXX555; 12-28-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:44 AM

XXX555, since you just got your 2010 X5d, please do let me know how you like it and of course share any problems with it

I had ordered mine 2010 X5d a week ago ($500 deposit), now I'm really considering backing out the deal... Problem is, there aren't that many other cars which fits my needs. 7 seater luxury SUV. Audi Q7 is also German made and heard bad stories too, so I can't imagine it being better than X5. I'm really frustrated now
Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
XXX555, since you just got your 2010 X5d, please do let me know how you like it and of course share any problems with it

I had ordered mine 2010 X5d a week ago ($500 deposit), now I'm really considering backing out the deal... Problem is, there aren't that many other cars which fits my needs. 7 seater luxury SUV. Audi Q7 is also German made and heard bad stories too, so I can't imagine it being better than X5. I'm really frustrated now
Why second thoughts? No worries for the first 4 years and 50K miles in anycase...
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

If I were you I would buy a kia or hundai with that 10 year warranty. If you need 7 seats, buy two.

Repetitive posting on a forum with a few offhand comments on relative reliability is most definitely NOT a rational way to reach a decision...

Buy a vehicle, budget $4500 for a platinum extended warranty and you are good to 6-7 years and 100,000 miles.

Simple, done.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX555 View Post
I understood the US mods were to soften valve clatter noise only and are of a nature that should not alter reliability.
It's deeper than that. I think this informative post from Santo will answer the question of what's been changed. I would recommend reading the PDF first and then following up with chapters 4 & 5 from the media event.

My biggest concern, possibly baseless, is the change in wrist pin offset. If this is a north america only engine that was just introduced last year, then its track record is very short.

This post, in particular, raised an eyebrow. Most likely a "one-off" but does this reflect the US mods? At this point there probably wasn't a large population of X5d's in country and therefore the failure rate, percentage wise, is higher.

Craig B and jaaX3 have also experienced the joys of warranty repair within the first year of ownership.

Clearly, patience and, as stated above, a nice warranty are you and your BMW's best friend.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 PM

Yes indeed!! Trying to get an understanding how much the extended warranty will cost me. Any ideas?! Wonder if thats something that is negotiable...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

EVERYTHING is negotiable!

They now offer 3 differnt coverages, with a few different time/mileage spans. You sound like a Platinum guy to me...

Not cheap- list will be $4500-4700. I expect there is a 100% markup, but it is hard to get a handle on this... (this is one of the very few areas that dealerships/salesmen can make money, so nobody talks...indeed, I have a suspicion that even the salestaff doesn't get told the true costs!)

Budget a pile of money, and plan on buying in a few years... you don't need to give them ALL your money right away!

A
Old 12-30-2009, 03:52 AM

thanks for the tip! Looks like doesnt hurt if I start with 50% off on whatever they are offering
Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
It's deeper than that. I think this informative post from Santo will answer the question of what's been changed. I would recommend reading the PDF first and then following up with chapters 4 & 5 from the media event.

My biggest concern, possibly baseless, is the change in wrist pin offset. If this is a north america only engine that was just introduced last year, then its track record is very short.

This post, in particular, raised an eyebrow. Most likely a "one-off" but does this reflect the US mods? At this point there probably wasn't a large population of X5d's in country and therefore the failure rate, percentage wise, is higher.

Craig B and jaaX3 have also experienced the joys of warranty repair within the first year of ownership.

Clearly, patience and, as stated above, a nice warranty are you and your BMW's best friend.
Thanks for pulling this info. together and posting. I will review it in detail. I'd be very curious if these modifications are US only as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
To get seven seats and a long warranty you no longer have to "buy two" Kia's or Hyundai's. Either the Hyundai Veracruz or the Kia Borrego will give you seven seats (the Kia has 8). neither will set your blood racing, but will provide surprisingly upscale interiors, great safety scores, and great pricing for SUV's. The Borrego also offers a V8 for those who tow trailer boats to salt water and don't want to ruin their X5 backing into the water down the ramp. These Korean companies are no longer disposable car (think Excel!) jokes but are turning out some excellent iron. If you have an open mind and are not chained to the cachet of european toys they are worth a look IMHO.

Last edited by UncleJ; 12-30-2009 at 08:18 AM.