Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Hybrid BMW 1-series spied

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

I hope BMW hybrids are able to live up to the "Ultimate Driving Machine" brand. I can't help but think its simply going to add a ton of weight to a little car

These are the first spy pictures of a hybrid BMW 1-series prototype undergoing testing.

The car's powertrain is only identifiable by the 'Hybrid Test Vehicle' stickers that adorn the rear windows and rear bumper.

The hybrid arrangement is believed to be a scaled down version of the one already available on the 7-series and X6, which has the motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission, with a compact lithium ion battery in the rear.

The hybrid 1-series is tipped for production when the next generation 1-series is launched in late 2011 or early 2012, and will fight for sales with the production version of the Lexus LF-Ch concept car, which was shown at the Frankfurt motor show earlier this year.

Source - http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/245221/

Spy shots -

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-1Series-Hybrid-Spied-1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	208892   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-1Series-Hybrid-Spied-2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	208893   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-1Series-Hybrid-Spied-3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	208894   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-1Series-Hybrid-Spied-4.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	208895   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-1Series-Hybrid-Spied-5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	208896  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-1Series-Hybrid-Spied-6.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	208897  

This article has been viewed 2664 times.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Quality

Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Mein Auto: 330i
That looks photoshopped in "HYBRID TEST VEHICLE".

But this is what the 1 Series should've been introduced as in the USA market to begin with.

I never got the point of a 128i or 135i that cost nearly as much as the 3 series and got no better MPG than those bigger cars (A 2010 528i has better MPGs stats on the window sticker than a 135i gets)
Albeit the 1 was introduced in 2008 to be the new image of "2-door sporty" that was pretty much short lived with the advent of the 2009 Z4 and the already better selling, ever popular 3 series coupes and convertible.

Had the 1 series been introduced like it's European counterpart (Economical/Gas friendly car), and it came to the USA refreshes and advanced as Hybrid, Diesel and 4 cylinder engine versions and competed with the likes of the Prius, Corolla and Insight in the growing new and obvious market of Hybrid/Gas friendly Automobiles then the 2008-2009 year would have been better for BMW. Making an "Economical" sized and "Economical looking" in appearance car get SUV like MPGs with a price tag that can buy you two Toyota Prius' in these economical and environmentally aware times is almost begging for bankruptcy and a preemptive government bailout.

Most of automobile sales shifted from SUVs (see under the super successful Cash-For-Clunkers program), Expensive Big Body Sedans (see under GM) and Sports Coupes and moved towards the new age Hybrids, Smart Cars, Mini Coopers, and other Gas Friendly Sedans. So what does BMW do in light of this obvious shift in paradigm? BMW introduces a "Sporty "1 series that gets 18/26 MPG, gives us a Sports Coupe-SUV in the virtually useless and unmarketable X6, introduces it's 4th and very much not-needed SUV in the baby sized X1, beefs up the Z4 and advances the M3 like it never done before during the evolutionary history of the M3 by pretty much only dropping a bigger guzzler engine under the hood and it weight in computer chips and wizardry, And introduces a new ultra pricey 7 Series that lacks any Hybrid versions (whiles Lexus and Mercedes have these for their own flagship sedans). At least BMW copied the massaging seats from Mercedes and Lexus, but if we don't copy the habits of what is becoming the new standard of a greener auto industry then BMW will end up like the Jaguars, Range Rovers, GMs and Porches of yesteryear.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 11-20-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: Ford Escape
There there Delmarco, let's not get apocalyptic!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
IMO the 1 series should have been the next 3 series after the E46.... with the E92 front end