Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW Z3 2.5
Z3 Pre-purchase advice

They say that wisdom is gained by making mistakes - learn from mine.

I've seen and read many of the posts here from people considering buying a Z3 or Z4, asking what to look for.

I bought a very nice Z3 in another state, had a pre-purchase inspection done and felt I knew what I was getting into. The car had a brand new top. The owner never drove the car in the rain, and always kept it garaged. Like an idiot, I assumed the top would not leak.

Well, I do drive the car in the rain, don't have a garage, and live in Western Oregon. (Hey, I can hear you saying "What an idiot!") The top leaks badly; not the fabric, but at the mounting to the car. Water rushes in from 2 different spots, seeks to destroy all electronics, and ends up draining into the trunk. A good night's rain results in 4" of standing water around the battery (which is nicely recessed in the trunk) and saturated carpets. An immediate purchase of a good car cover was in order, but that doesn't help much when you're driving.

So, my advice: Whether the car has a new top or not, I would not buy another convertible without running a garden hose over the car for 5 minutes and then checking the interior of the cabin and trunk.

BTW: My local BMW dealer won't even give me a quote for repairing the leak as they will NOT work on non-factory tops.
Ads by Google
Old 12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8, 2002 M Coupe
Thanks for heads up, but this is a common and fixable problem. The rubber seals at the top atrophy over time. Search under "gummi-pfledge" for a great product to swell the rubber and restore water sealing properties
Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
See the other "Z3 Pre-Purchase Advice" thread for more info...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...urchase+advice

DreamingWell.com Web Services