Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5
2004 X5 Nav Radio not working

My 2004 X5 has navigation and the radio does not turn on all of a sudden. I don't think it's the fuse because the navigation works and the radio/navigation are on the same fuse. Does anyone know what might be the problem and how it can be fixed?
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Me Too

Hello,
I have the same problem, has anyone gotten back to you with a probable cause?
Have you been able to fix it?
Regards,
Darin
Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 PM

No, no one replied
Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 PM

On our own

I have seen some threads referring to a faulty radio module. I will try to figure out where it is located, and see if there is anything that can be done.
Regards,
Darin
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 AM

Fixed

Hello,
I was able to fix my problem(for now at least), by a simple cleaning of the radio module contacts. The radio module is located below the spare tire, directly in front of the battery(a little on the left),,, by using Electrical Contact cleaner and some Q-tips,,, spray cleaner on q-tips not the radio module,,, I very carefully cleaned all the pin connectors(very fragile), and then sprayed the actual plugs,,, allowed to dry,,, then reattached,, there is also a small red fuse on the radio module,, this should also be checked..
Ignition key should be out, and do all of this at your own risk,, if you are not mechanically inclined, and don't know how to be gentle, then forget doing this.
It worked for me, but your case may be different,,,, so, proceed at your own risk,,,
Darin
Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: e70, e60
I had a problem with radio as well (2004 x5). Basically everything else worked besides no voice in navigation and radio was mute. Fix: remove all fuses related to radio (check manual, but there are fuses in front and also in the trunk which need to be pulled out at the same time) and once all fuses are out, but them back. This makes some kind of reset to nav/radio system and I got my nav and radio fixed. It's easy to miss fuse in the trunk and then it doesn't help.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:10 AM

Great

I'm glad you got yours working, this can be an expensive repair. My problem seemed to be a contact problem. Not sure if its because the vehicle gets very little use or not(only 13,000 miles) Radio is working great.
Keep The Faith
Darin
Old 05-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: x5 diesel 2004
radio

i just had same problem wit radio x5 04 hav sat nav no sound radio wont turn on
is the radio module the blue box wit the white cover just above battery to the left also
where exactly is the red fuse
am i looking in the wrong place
first time i ever looked under the spare lot going on here
hope u can help
Old 05-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Angry radio

i just found the module under the cover at the front of the battery
still locate red fuse
Old 05-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Smile radio

i found fuse cleaned all refitted and happy days radio works
thanks guys
tricky job just for a radio fault
Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X 5 3.0D
Hello,
I have the same problem....is it just the one fuse in the glove box and 2 fuses in the boot(trunk)??
Are there any others on the radio module that need pulled...?

Thanks D
Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM

i just found red fuse replaced it and clean connections and it worked ok,
i heard it helps if you disconnect your battery while cleaning and reconnect when finished it resets all
Old 03-28-2011, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X 5 3.0D
Sorry but where is the red fuse?
I have 2 fuses in my boot and one in the glove box??
Is there another fuse? sorry for any confusion
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Problem fix by dealer

If you have power to your radio and it still dont work. It could be the water leaking in to your car. Usually when you drive too much over time the drain tube sift and water leak in to ur passager side or back door. Check if ur floor mat is wet. Bmw strip down my right side doors and found that the ibus wire is damage from the water leak. That the wire that connect the system thru the engine and awp and so on. They had to change the wire and fix the water drain tube. Dont bring it to the dealer cost me 5 hour labour $750.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 x5
so i know this has been covered several different times and several different answers. happened to me today. I checked all three fuses, 7, 72, AND 73, all were good. i then removed the nav screen to see if all connectors were ok, all were. i then went to the amp removed and reconnected all connectors, still nada. i then looked and looked on several forums and found a guy who showed me pics and details of the actual radio, which to my suprise was not the nav screen...it was located in the trunk, under the spare tire, under a plastic cover. many screws and bolts later, i located the radio, which was only fastened by one screw, with two connectors on top. i removed the radio and suprise suprise, there was an inch or so of water laying next to the battery and the front of the radio was submerged. it had rained yesterday and then suddenly went out. i took it completely out of the car, checked the 10a fuse which was ok, then took the metal cover off the radio, sprayed dust off and saw water running out the side of it. i let it sit in the sun for about an hour with the cover off, reconnected, and bam..it worked! very happy, as that radio piece goes for $400-800 on ebay! whew.. it is a dys project, but takes alot of patience and testing. thanks for all that have gave input on this matter...\WIll
Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Angry X5 E53 Radio issue

I cleaned the contacts, removed fuses, removed the radio and cleaned everything I could. Still no sound in navigation, radio does not come on cannot play cd. Not sure if the issues is with amp. Is there any way to test amp?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Does anything g work? Check in your trunk, turn te key and see if there is any power to the cd and nav.. You will hear both of them operate once you turn the key. If no power to either of them, it wouldn't be the amp
Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 PM

There is power to NAV and CD changer. By pressing the button, cd changer cartridge comes out. Also I can see a red light on NAV cd unit.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM

Then it has to be the radio located in trunk under spare.. Remove cross bars and black plastic cover and u will see the radio..
Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM

I did remove radio toady and cleaned the contacts. I also removed and reinstalled all the radio fuses. The radio looks clean and in good condition. Not sure if it has gone bad.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4
I have the same problem... Water got into the area under the spare tire due to a faulty panoramic sunroof... I have check all the fuses and located the red 10 amp in the radio... Still no power to the radio.. My nav screen comes on though,
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw x5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly40 View Post
so i know this has been covered several different times and several different answers. happened to me today. I checked all three fuses, 7, 72, AND 73, all were good. i then removed the nav screen to see if all connectors were ok, all were. i then went to the amp removed and reconnected all connectors, still nada. i then looked and looked on several forums and found a guy who showed me pics and details of the actual radio, which to my suprise was not the nav screen...it was located in the trunk, under the spare tire, under a plastic cover. many screws and bolts later, i located the radio, which was only fastened by one screw, with two connectors on top. i removed the radio and suprise suprise, there was an inch or so of water laying next to the battery and the front of the radio was submerged. it had rained yesterday and then suddenly went out. i took it completely out of the car, checked the 10a fuse which was ok, then took the metal cover off the radio, sprayed dust off and saw water running out the side of it. i let it sit in the sun for about an hour with the cover off, reconnected, and bam..it worked! very happy, as that radio piece goes for $400-800 on ebay! whew.. it is a dys project, but takes alot of patience and testing. thanks for all that have gave input on this matter...\WIll
and this is under the spare tire under the black plastic cover that reads BMW right?i heard of this but does this apply to only DSP Models? I have removed that cover before and all i found were just empty harnesses, which made me think that most people that have this issue have DSP equipped cars, or maybe is it some where else under the cover and i over looked it?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM

BM53 Radio Location

Hi. I took some photos while removing and reinstalling the radio unit. They are on my photo gallery with some notes in the link below.

http://www.seanster.com/gallery/publ...-53-RADIO-UNIT

I don't want to derail the thread with my own issue but I should add a note that I think might help others diagnose their own radio problems:

Simple R&R helped but didn't fix my particular problem. (radio randomly cuts out and disappears from nav console but power light stays on) I noticed that I could force the radio to show up on the nav console if I entered service mode. From service mode, just arrow over a few times to the radio reception stats screen and then the radio kicks in. You can press the preset buttons to change stations. YMMV

--
Sean
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiluv74 View Post
I have the same problem... Water got into the area under the spare tire due to a faulty panoramic sunroof... I have check all the fuses and located the red 10 amp in the radio... Still no power to the radio.. My nav screen comes on though,
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Hi, would you please advise me where the 10 amp fuse is, what it looks like and any other pointers , water also got into my battery well !
Your help would be much appreciated .
I've had the battery out but cannot locate the 10 amp fuse bmw x5 3.0 diesel se 2004

Many thanks
Old 03-21-2014, 04:32 PM

mr

Hi I just bought x5 04 today radio / cd and sat nav sound is not working can some one help me please
thanks
naveed