Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 XDrive 35d
No problems here either. I have about 1200 mi so far.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDC330i View Post
Your VIN should be on your registration card.
The car became a Lemon Buy back, and the Plates and reg have not arrived yet. in Ca. it is all mailed by the DMV. it may even get mailed to them because they are the current owners.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Cad CTS DI-67 Olds 455
The X5 is at the dealer & so far they tell me no sign of a kink or a leak. Now there saying that they probably didn't fill the passive tank completely the last time I brought it in. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, so we'll see what they finally conclude. The whole affair is getting fishy.

My X5 is the lap of luxury & performance compared to this 328 loaner. Looking forward to driving my X5 again.

I'll provide an update tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Joe Please if possible wash VERY well the underside of your X5!!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing View Post
The X5 is at the dealer & so far they tell me no sign of a kink or a leak. Now there saying that they probably didn't fill the passive tank completely the last time I brought it in. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, so we'll see what they finally conclude. The whole affair is getting fishy.

My X5 is the lap of luxury & performance compared to this 328 loaner. Looking forward to driving my X5 again.

I'll provide an update tomorrow.

Joe, it was fishy when they said the factory forgot the fill both tanks. Now, it's really fishy.

Let us know what they come up with.

Craig
Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM

Joe what is the weather like where you live? I'm trying to understand why they don't see the hard crusted dried UREA all over the bottom of your car like they did mine. (thats why I keep telling you to clean the bottom of your car really well!) Actually it was even all over the right rear tire on the inside. Also it was before the rainy season here so there was nothing to wash it off so they saw everything.

Do they just pull it into the service drive and top it off with fluid and send you on your way? Have YOU been under your car your self?

It sounds like it takes 1700 miles to use up the active tank. If your X5 uses up the active tank and the passive is still full then you have a different problem then I did. but if both are empty all of the evedence is on the bottom just like mine.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:59 AM

The story continues.

BMWNA responded to my emails to them about this problem by contacting the dealer while my vehicle was in for service. They advised them on troubleshooting and to look closely for the crusted mess Gabe is talking about. They found no kinked hoses, no crusted mess, no sign of a leak, no problem whatsoever except that the tanks were low. BMWNA called me yesterday & reported the work they did with the dealer. This level of attention I'm pleased with.

The dealer did say that at my first stop (1700 MI) they filled the active tank & used what was left of a relatively small qty. (? 1 gal ?) by pouring it into the passive tank. So they were not sure that they really filled the passive tank. This I'm not impressed with. So this time they made sure they completely topped everything off. BMWNA reports that it seems most likely that the vehicle left the factory without both tanks filled to capacity and that the dealer didn't completely fill on the last go around. Again, I'm impressed that BMWNA took this matter seriously and worked with the dealer as well as calling me to advise of the progress.

Prior to bringing the vehicle in, I did crawl under the vehicle on several occasions to look for the crusted mess that Gabe reports. I found no crust whatsoever. Everything was pretty much factory fresh. BMWNA states that that would be a sure indicator of a leak. Neither the dealer nor I could find any signs of this. The dealer did find some crust near the filler neck of the active tank which was the result of spilling a little fluid on the last fill up.

So bottom line is that the mystery will continue for a little bit while I prove or disprove the theory that the tanks were never filled properly.

Last edited by Joegoesfishing; 03-21-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
The story continues.

BMWNA responded to my emails to them about this problem by contacting the dealer while my vehicle was in for service. They advised them on troubleshooting and to look closely for the crusted mess Gabe is talking about. They found no kinked hoses, no crusted mess, no sign of a leak, no problem whatsoever except that the tanks were low. BMWNA called me yesterday & reported the work they did with the dealer. This level of attention I'm pleased with.

The dealer did say that at my first stop (1700 MI) they filled the active tank & used what was left of a relatively small qty. (? 1 gal ?) buy pouring it into the passive tank. So they were not sure that they really filled the passive tank. This I'm not impressed with. So this time they made sure they completely topped everything off. BMWNA reports that it seems most likely that the vehicle left the factory without both tanks filled to capacity and that the dealer didn't completely fill on the last go around. Again, I'm impressed that BMWNA took this matter seriously and worked with the dealer as well as calling me to advise of the progress.

Prior to bringing the vehicle in, I did crawl under the vehicle on several occasions to look for the crusted mess that Gabe reports. I found no crust whatsoever. Everything was pretty much factory fresh. BMWNA states that that would be a sure indicator of a leak. Neither the dealer nor I could find any signs of this. The dealer did find some crust near the filler neck of the active tank which was the result of spilling a little fluid on the last fill up.

So bottom line is that the mystery will continue for a little bit while I prove or disprove the theory that the tanks were never filled properly.
Good luck and keep us posted. Glad you have your car back. No problems with mine so far...

Craig
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Im glad every one is so happy with thier X5d!! I will admit I readdy miss mine!! they still have not recieved the hose!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Holding up thus far on my end. It really is a nice vehicle to drive. It moves effortlessly with the diesel power which is complimented with great handling. A nice combination.

I'll let you folks know when my urea experiment is over.

Joe
Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Holding up thus far on my end. It really is a nice vehicle to drive. It moves effortlessly with the diesel power which is complimented with great handling. A nice combination.

I'll let you folks know when my urea experiment is over.

Joe
Thanks for keeping us posted. No problems to report here...

Craig
Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 AM

Craig its a great, great Vehicle, If you don't have a problem at 1,700 miles then you won't have any problems.

Joe if you have this problem again then I honestly think it's either the transfer pumpis not working, or for some reason your X5 is using more Urea then expected.

Also I honestly don't think this Urea system will last 10K miles per fill up of both tanks. Its great! please don't get me wrong I really liked it but, this first genertion is on the fence.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegabe View Post
Craig its a great, great Vehicle, If you don't have a problem at 1,700 miles then you won't have any problems.

Joe if you have this problem again then I honestly think it's either the transfer pumpis not working, or for some reason your X5 is using more Urea then expected.

Also I honestly don't think this Urea system will last 10K miles per fill up of both tanks. Its great! please don't get me wrong I really liked it but, this first genertion is on the fence.
Gabe, almost at 1700 miles without problems. I've noticed it's running better since about 1500 miles. More power and running smoother.

fingers crossed...

Craig
Old 04-03-2009, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: '09 X535d
I have 2,300 miles and have no problems. VERY satisfied with my purchase and everyone that discovers it is a diesel is surprised. I agree that the motor is just now coming into its own; smoother, seemingly more powerful but I babied it the 1st 2,000 miles. My only gripe would be that it tends to lurch when taking off from a rolling start...I'm used to it now and modulate the effects with different gas pedal action. Regards to all.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Where did I park again???

Mein Auto: 1989 325i
I actually placed an order for one a couple weeks back. It should get here by the end of April. Can't wait!!!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 AM

Hazbeen,

Seems a lot of folks notice the lurch, myself included. I think it is caused by the way the 2nd to first downshift is programmed, rather than turbo lag. I notice that unless I come to a complete stop, the transmission does not downshift into 1st. So when coming to a barely perceptable roll at a stop sign, upon moderate accelleration, the trans lags a bit, than downshifts to 1st & slams you with all the torque generated by the diesel. You can test this theory like I did by trying the same maneuver in manual mode. You will find that when you manually shift into 1st, than acellerate, you do not get slammed into the backseat.

BMW should correct this troublesome spot in the trans shift sequence. I will tell my dealer about it when I go in for my next service.

BTW, so far so good on the urea.

Joe
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 PM

actually I never noticed the Lurch or launch....
Old 04-06-2009, 02:38 PM

Ok so here is the good news, I (MIGHT) have the hookup on a X5d I was just told about an owner that wants to turn her nex X5d in and purchase an older X5 i was told she perfers the older body style. TRUST ME I will look under the car on a lift to make sure it wasn't crashed.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Ok so here is the good news, I (MIGHT) have the hookup on a X5d I was just told about an owner that wants to turn her nex X5d in and purchase an older X5 i was told she perfers the older body style. TRUST ME I will look under the car on a lift to make sure it wasn't crashed.

Gabe, good luck!

Keep us posted... What options are on it?

Craig
Old 04-08-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Gabe, good luck!

Keep us posted... What options are on it?

Craig
I have no idea, But it must have Sport, Technlolgy, Premium, Comfort Access, and the Comfort seats for me to even consider it.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I have no idea, But it must have Sport, Technlolgy, Premium, Comfort Access, and the Comfort seats for me to even consider it.
I didn't order the technology package. I have the rest with nappa leather.

Let us know if you get the other diesel...

Craig

Last edited by Craig B; 04-09-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Registered Troublemaker

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
Quote:

There's two or more on the Desert Las Vegas BMW dealer lot. No affiliation.

2005 E53 X5 4.4i, Imola Red over black, Sport, Premium, Cold, Hybrid Audio Technology Imagine 6.5's

2011 E90 M3, Melbourne Red Metallic, Fox Red/Black, 6-speed, Premium 2, Heated seats, iPod/USB, Technic harness, JL 6/600
Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i 2009 x5 35d
Quote:
Seems to be a problem with the Urea Storage/Injection system. At 1700 mi, my X5 displays a service warning that the "Exhaust Fluid is Low"; starting the mileage run down to prevent the vehicle from starting if the problem is not corrected. I checked for a leak & found no evidence of leakage whatsoever. This certainly should not be happening at 1700 mi. Annoying to say the least; undermining my confidence in the vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Joe
It's been only 1000 miles since I was at the dealer for a diesel exhaust fulid fill. The first fill was at 12k the second was at 18k now have 19k and just got the warning message again. I'll call the dealer on Monday to see if they can find out what's up. I will keep everyone posted. From what I've been reading on the forums there is a problem with false messages.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 323Ci, X5
I thought the diesel emission fluid was suppose to last 10-11k miles? I know the car wont run without so this is a problem.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDahl View Post
I thought the diesel emission fluid was suppose to last 10-11k miles? I know the car wont run without so this is a problem.
A warning light comes on about 1000 miles before the car won't run and one can always keep an extra quart in the spare compartment....

Anyone wigged out can wait for the inevitable defeat chip, upload, fuse modification that will show BMW a code that they will have to prove caused some defect to void their warranty...

Al Gore will come to your home, tracked down via BMW Assist and spank you like the naughty boy that you really are...

Last edited by XXX555; 01-02-2010 at 05:52 AM.