Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P. View Post
Damn you guys are replacing your plugs at 60k miles? I'm just over 60k, but was planning to wait till 70k.

Now I'm all paranoid that THIS is what's hurting my fuel economy. Well, that and the low tire pressure. And the cold weather. And the corn in my gas tank. And my slowly deteriorating Vanos seals. And . . .
LMAO. You could easily justify swapping plugs at 60k although if you did wait till 70k it wouldn't hurt much. I changed at 80k if you peeped page 1 pics and you can see they were definitely due.

Again, I'll admit that these HP coils probably aren't going to increase much if any performance but given that their price isn't much more than stock coils it doesn't seem like such a bad deal if you're like me with a high mileage bimmer and probably need them replaced anyways.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post

Again, I'll admit that these HP coils probably aren't going to increase much if any performance but given that their price isn't much more than stock coils it doesn't seem like such a bad deal if you're like me with a high mileage bimmer and probably need them replaced anyways.
To reiterate....coils are *good* until they go *bad*....do you do Preventitave Maintainance on all the light bulbs in your house?

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Thebizzy.com

I went through my house and replaced all standard bulbs with CFL's a year or two ago. And if 1 of something goes bad (i.e. spark plug, coil, headlight) I replace them all.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boile View Post
All that's needed in ONE spark to initiate the explosion.
Exactly.

I remember when I was 22 and had my very first car. I swear I could feel more horsepower even after just changing the oil and adding a container of STP fuel injection cleaner to the fuel tank. Man I miss those times.

As for spark plugs, it all depends on the make and model. My wife's car (a Trans Am GTA) runs way better on regular autolite sparkplugs then on the expensive platinum Bosch plugs.

Last edited by BlueSkies10; 01-04-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Nice post and money spent!

Thanks for sharing the Info on Hi-Performance coil but here is my 2-cent, think about the engine as an orchestra: alot of things need to work together to make music: changing only the violinists but leaving the rest of the orchestra (cello, bass, drums etc.) alone is unlikely to improve the music.

Back to the E39, to gain HP --> alot needs to be done:
- ? Hi-performance coil
- ? Better Spark Plugs
- ? Better Gasoline (Higher Octane)
- ? Better Air Flow (? K&N)
- ? Getting rid of the Catalytic (illegal in the US)
etc. and etc.

As others said already, sometimes a good 'old-fashioned' change of new NGK spark plugs will do a fine job. No need for fancy ignition coils.

I think the max performance of the engine has been tuned from the factory, it is hard to improve much on it.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
1 coil goes bad, buy an OEM replacement and be done (lots of on-line sellers). Cheap and effective. Assuming one does also preventative maintenance and changes out old sparkplugs. And changing them with the 4 pronged NGK's (OEM spec) will not be detrimental at all to the performance of the car.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
I just installed the NGK 2667's iridiums.
I did notice a little more response IMO...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM
YoungNStunnin

Mein Auto: 525I
Holy smokes. . I made this thread 2 years ago! I would like to report that after 2 years of having the Bav Auto Performace coils they have caused multiple cylinder misfires. The good part is that Bav Auto has an excellent warranty. . theyve sent me 2 fresh replacement sets everytime one fails. Thats a total of 18 coils Ive gone thru. . . NOT WORTH IT! STICK TO OEM!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM
^^^Worst Username Ever!

Mein Auto: '01 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW05 View Post
Holy smokes. . I made this thread 2 years ago! I would like to report that after 2 years of having the Bav Auto Performace coils they have caused multiple cylinder misfires. The good part is that Bav Auto has an excellent warranty. . theyve sent me 2 fresh replacement sets everytime one fails. Thats a total of 18 coils Ive gone thru. . . NOT WORTH IT! STICK TO OEM!
Wow! Good to know. An original poster comes back to follow-up on an old thread, pretty rare also. Thanks for the update.

"The more you know, the more you don't know," Dave Chappelle
"Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content"-Durant

WTT: Black Comfort Seats for Black Sport Seats. PM for info.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P. View Post
Damn you guys are replacing your plugs at 60k miles? I'm just over 60k, but was planning to wait till 70k.

Now I'm all paranoid that THIS is what's hurting my fuel economy. Well, that and the low tire pressure. And the cold weather. And the corn in my gas tank. And my slowly deteriorating Vanos seals. And . . .
Don't sweat it. I changed my original plugs at 100k miles. With new ones my car idles and performs almost identical as before. I gained maybe a mile more per gallon with the plugs but I've also switched to Shell V-Power which is most likely the reason for the increase in MPG's.

2000 BMW 540i
2010 Mercedes ML350
1998 Audi A6 Quattro (Sold)
Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM
The Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 98 E39 540i - 09 E90 328i
Quote:
. . NOT WORTH IT! STICK TO OEM!
Thanks for the follow up post-

I bet these guys will still be ranting over this for at least 2 more years.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:

Thanks for the courage to post against the non-OEM coils.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Thebizzy.com

Quote:
Great follow-up! Now wonder these have been on sale for the past several months!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I`m Old School, mang....I *snort* the Kool-Aid.... :-)
have we met at a party?

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540iA
ok-then
Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to JackEatsEmoKids
Mein Auto: 02 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
I just installed the NGK 2667's iridiums.
I did notice a little more response IMO...
I run NGK 2668's
Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
1 coil goes bad, buy an OEM replacement and be done (lots of on-line sellers). Cheap and effective. Assuming one does also preventative maintenance and changes out old sparkplugs. And changing them with the 4 pronged NGK's (OEM spec) will not be detrimental at all to the performance of the car.
when i did my valley pan, i changed the plugs to single from 4.... big mistake. i can feel the car run not as smooth and power doesn't feel "all there". i mean, she still moves but just lacks "motivation".

when i do my valve covers (missed a chance to do that piece), i'm going to replace the plugs to the 4's. sure they came in singles but go at least dual.

and i have yet to read any 5 series benefiting using "HP plugs"..

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:36 PM

All the spark plug mfgrs keep an updated web site that will show you what plug is the latest OEM choice.

Originally, in 97, my plugs were single prong but I think BMW has changed that to multi prong.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy

Last edited by franka; 01-06-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEatsEmoKids View Post
I run NGK 2668's
Hey!
Are the 2668's better/ a step colder??

Thanks!
Jason
Old 01-07-2010, 04:44 AM

Trying to tune your engine by changing plug brands and/or heat range is a loosing proposition.

Save your money.