Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
The piezo injectors function with their own built in lubricity and are not solely metal on metal so it is not the same, the new pumps are similar as well. I am attaching a PDF with the images of BMWs system.... I have been through the training on this and lubricity never came up as an issue in the US they had to overcome. As for using BIO I am on board with that, just not buying some of the additives that are put in the tank individually, no idea what that will do to the SCR system (DEF mixed with additives = unknown and additives have not been extensively tested on these new systems). The $325 came from the price of a pump... as that is the only damage you discussed.
thanks for providing the document. what is the internal injector lubrication?

Do you really think an additive that has been burned in the combustion process and does not affect the DPF would subsequently damage the SCR?

Who did the training? I think we won't know of lubricity issues until its too late.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
That power service product is interesting to me.

Anyone running it? Notice any MPG improvements? How do you like it?
I have been running the Powerservice in the Silver/Gray bottle from my first fill after the taking delivery of my d. I haven't been able to do a test of the fuel mileage claim, primarily because my engine is still going through break-in. How would I isolate gains from Powerservice from gains that could be occurring due to the engine breaking in?

My primary reason for using the Powerservice is to bump up the cetane to the 55 territory (I am using Chevron CARB diesel which is supposed to have a cetane rating of 49) and getting lubricity increased. Adding the Powerservice at 4 oz/10 gallons is supposed to produce a 6 number cetane boost and get the lubricity up to a point where a wear scar of less than 460 microns is achieved. Based on what has been posted, it would seem that the Powerservice gets to a wear scar of ~400ish microns. Also, Powerservice is available at every Walmart that I have been in, so I should not have any problems with availability.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Maybe the reason is to benefit the fuel lubricity additive manufacturers?

Full employment opportunity program.... We do it with ethanol.
you can't be serious. is there an analogous fuel additive ingredient/political football to corn in ethanol? some chemical industry that the Europeans are trying to prop up?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
thanks for providing the document. what is the internal injector lubrication?

Do you really think an additive that has been burned in the combustion process and does not affect the DPF would subsequently damage the SCR?

Who did the training? I think we won't know of lubricity issues until its too late.
The injectors are coated (teflon like), As for damage to the SCR- no one knows and that is the point, it never has been tested, not to say it will but not to say it won't. I mean the SCR is there because not everything gets burned. BMW did the training and as far as too late I can't comment on that but the way you are doing it seems to be just fine, I would just hate for people to put stuff in the tank- screw up some emissions stuff and then get a $5k bill from the dealer because of residue caused by the additive. People should remember these things will shut down if emissions systems are compromised as mandated by the EPA.

-M
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Old 01-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
you can't be serious. is there an analogous fuel additive ingredient/political football to corn in ethanol? some chemical industry that the Europeans are trying to prop up?
I was being facetious (note the angel smilie after my post). However, anything is possible. Europe has a very large chemical industry, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some 'undue influence' exerted.