Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Oem tires

I have Bridgestone" Turanza EL 42" on my X3.This weekend I tested them in ice/snow conditions.They are awful. Then I look for reviews on this tires.Find out : [B]that is one of the worth tires in touring all- season category? [B]My question is:Why BMW install them on the first place? and what do you think or know about tires:
1.Bridgestone "Turanza Serenity".
2.Kumho" Ecsta LX Platinum".
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
First of all, any all-season tyre is a compromise between summer and winter handling. And frankly on black ice, there's not much you can do unless you want to buy studded tyres (which no one would do unless they lived in snow/ice pack for 6 months).

That said, Bridgestones in general have been rubbish on BMWs. Another OEM choice for the X3 that's been well-regarded and a safe bet is the Pirelli Scorpion STR. Good feel, traction, and not too bad in the snow either.

I haven't tried any of the tyre models you mentioned, but neither of them seem appropriate for a 2+ ton X3. I have the Kumho Ecsta SPT on my summer wheels and cannot wait to be rid of them.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate1 View Post
My question is:Why BMW install them on the first place?
I think most came with Pirelli STR's because Pirelli was in on the design/development of the X3 chassis, or the suspension at least.

To keep competition alive, or to avoid supply problems, 3 other tires were also used:
(Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, Bridgestone EL-42 and the Dunlop Sport SP 01)
These 3 were common applications for many other makes and models, and not really marketed as SUV tires.

The name "Turanza" is a bit meaningless as Bridgestone use it for so many different tires, but maybe it is Japanese for "very noisy".

On another car, I have traded Turanzas in, very early in their life, to get a better performing tire (Nokian WR G2 in that instance).

For the X3, you have to consider your priorities - quietness, dry handling, wet handling, snow, ice, etc., and make the best compromise.

Here's a thread from the early days:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110841
Old 01-09-2010, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
I have the stock Pirellis and they appear (knock on wood) to be fine in the rain and snow. They are ok on ice although there is some fishtailing. Other SUVs were twirling in circles on the same surface so I have to say they were pretty good for all season tires.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 540i, Dakar, 328i
I am not a fan of this Bridgestone tire either but for the record winter tires are recommended for BMW's in these conditions.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I had the Scorpions (18") for 48K miles and aside from being very stiff they were excellent. I replaced them on the X3 with Michelin Super Sport Plus and even though they are more expensive I like them better so far. They are easily as good for traction (no snow, but lots of mud and sand) as well as "performance" and as a bonus are much better riding. I also have Kumhos on two vehicles (5 series and Tahoe) in the family and they have performed very well for us.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-09-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
My X3 originally came with the Bridgestones (17"). I really hated those tires.

I replaced them at about 20k miles with Pirelli Scorpions. I think the Pirellis handle and ride better than the Bridgestones. They (Pirellis) also seem to be better in the snow and ice.