Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW M Roadster
M Roadster Oil Separator Replacement

I've got a 2000 M Roadster (Z3 E36 - S52 3.2l Engine) and want to change the Crankcase Ventilation/Oil Separator Valve (OSV) and related hoses/tubes, and am looking for helpful hints/instructions. The Bentley manual, of course, is devoid of such info.

I've searched this and other sites and have found DIY instructions and helpful hints on doing the OSV R&R for other models (particularly E46), but my limited searching skills have not enabled me to find anything specific to my model.

Has anyone changed the Oil Separator Valve on an S52 M Roadster? If so, is there anything peculiar or different about doing it on this model as opposed to the instructions/helpful hints for other models?

If there are forum posts or other sites that contain OSV R&R info for this specific model, could you please point me in that direction?

Thanks much for any helpful replies.
Ads by Google
Old 01-15-2010, 02:06 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by grollins001 View Post
I've got a 2000 M Roadster (Z3 E36 - S52 3.2l Engine) and want to change the Crankcase Ventilation/Oil Separator Valve (OSV) and related hoses/tubes, and am looking for helpful hints/instructions. The Bentley manual, of course, is devoid of such info.

I've searched this and other sites and have found DIY instructions and helpful hints on doing the OSV R&R for other models (particularly E46), but my limited searching skills have not enabled me to find anything specific to my model.

Has anyone changed the Oil Separator Valve on an S52 M Roadster? If so, is there anything peculiar or different about doing it on this model as opposed to the instructions/helpful hints for other models?

If there are forum posts or other sites that contain OSV R&R info for this specific model, could you please point me in that direction?

Thanks much for any helpful replies.
Purchase a BMW TIS repair disc from EBAY.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:22 PM
DO IT YOURSELF.

Mein Auto: 98 M Roadster
This may be covered in the Bently manual as well. I did this once as part of an operation to replace an intake manifold on an S52. As I recall, it's not terribly difficult to get to, once you take off the air intake equipment (air box, hoses, throttlebodies, etc.). The oil separator is an odd-looking, black, plastic device located under the intake manifold, towards the rear of the motor.

Be sure to label all the vacuum hoses that you remove. There are several in that area, and they all start to look the same after a while in that area.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:24 AM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
Have you seen this write-up for an E36 M3 S52?

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=263731