Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4
installing Notto SE aftermarket xenons on Z4

I just bought a set of aftermarket Notto SE xenon headlights for my car, and per the directions they connect directly to the existing harness. Not quite. I can modify the existing (non xenon) harness without issue, but before I do that I want to know if anyone has installed these before.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisGentry View Post
I just bought a set of aftermarket Notto SE xenon headlights for my car, and per the directions they connect directly to the existing harness. Not quite. I can modify the existing (non xenon) harness without issue, but before I do that I want to know if anyone has installed these before.

Thanks

Be very careful putting Xenon's(I assume you mean HID's, right?) into halogen lenses. The result can be serious blinding of oncoming drivers as cutoffs are very different for HID's...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Why o why do people spend money on this cheap, dangerous, 3rd world crap lighting? You compromise your own safety, the safety of others on the road that you'll potentially be blinding, and cheapen your otherwise fine automobile. Avoid this Ebay crap like the plague.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
ajeepthing.com

Mein Auto: 09 FJR1300 06 Jetta 03 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Why o why do people spend money on this cheap, dangerous, 3rd world crap lighting? You compromise your own safety, the safety of others on the road that you'll potentially be blinding, and cheapen your otherwise fine automobile. Avoid this Ebay crap like the plague.
See, this is exactly the type of attitude that is making me rethink this place. I mean, while the information is factual, and I do agree with the posters thoughts, generally, I see many posters here taking a big attitude and hard line with people who are literally brand new.

Heck of a way to make new users feel welcome... wow.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Joiner

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5 and 2010 128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisGentry View Post

Thanks
I have been a frequent visitor to this forum as well as two others since July '07 and I recall seeing only one post on successful non-OEM replacements. IIRC, the lights were also from Ebay. I believe that was on Zpost.

Kevin obviously has strong feelings on this as do many others. Most BMW fans respect the engineeing BMW puts into our cars and would not risk non-OEM modification of safety features. But, it's your car and your decision. If you decide to try it, let us know how it works for you. More data points are your best decision input. Good luck!

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Rad Racer World Champion

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupé (S.Bronze)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy View Post
See, this is exactly the type of attitude that is making me rethink this place. I mean, while the information is factual, and I do agree with the posters thoughts, generally, I see many posters here taking a big attitude and hard line with people who are literally brand new.

Heck of a way to make new users feel welcome... wow.
Posting on any forum, you accept the fact that people will have differing opinions on the subject. That's why it's a forum. Differing opinions are often helpful in making the right decision. There's a line between being just rude, and giving a straight up, informed opinion as Kevin did. I see nothing wrong here.

'08 Z4 M Coupé Sepang Bronze, Black/Black, Madeira Wood, CDV delete // 49th from End of Production

Last edited by aestheticstorm; 01-17-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 PM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
There's a line between being just rude, and giving a straight up, informed opinion as Kevin did. I see nothing wrong here.
Thank you for the support.

My post was strongly worded, but hardly a personal attack on the OP or anyone else. The "attack" was leveled at the product. If the OP takes the directness of it as some tough love and heeds the advice, then the world will be better for it.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 AM
Joiner

FYI

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136909

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to RufusKing
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc1 View Post
Kevin obviously has strong feelings on this as do many others.
Yep i get your point. Strong Feeling or not, Meant to hurt someones feelings or not, was attacking or not, this kind of behavior will simply not warrant someone trying to come out and play with you. Believe me I thought twice about being a member of this forum when i first started becuase of this very reason.

If you think that you are going to sway people to your side by attacking then maybe you should look again. Actually it only does one thing, it allows them to dismiss their opinions because of this beahvior. Look at it like this. if you attack me then the first thing that comes to mind is, "wow, can't really trust that this kat his his act together."

So I say give the facts, (monotone if you feel that strongly about it) and get out of the convo. That is what i do.

BTW, i agree with Kevin that you should be careful and engineer this appropriately. A miscalculation can put others in jeopardy by blinding them. My suggestion is if you really are going to swap over to HID Xenon lights then you will need to lower the angle of the light so that you do not blind the next person which may be me. The best way to make sure you have this right is to use an beam alignment tool. This will take in consideration the intensity of th elight as well as the angle.

good luck!

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster - Sold and I miss her.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Joiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusKing View Post
If you think that you are going to sway people to your side by attacking then maybe you should look again. Actually it only does one thing, it allows them to dismiss their opinions because of this beahvior. Look at it like this. if you attack me then the first thing that comes to mind is, "wow, can't really trust that this kat his his act together."
Since you quoted me, I am assuming you were speaking to me. Your point is well taken. But, I don't visit here for the pleasant conversation, and I have been known to express an unpopular opinion or two, albeit in jest. I'm here because this forum has more information on Zs than anywhere else I have seen. Look at the FAQs if you are looking for guidance and experience on the most popular mods and maintenance. I don't see much, if any, of that on the other Z forums. It seems that many never read that section, since I see so many questions posted that could be answered by reviewing the info there.

The great majority here will freely share what they know. Frankly I'm often intimidated by their knowledge as it relates to my ignorance. But, I try to learn as much as possible from the real "Gurus". And in a public online forum you get some real characters, just like in your offline life. Some are entertaining and informative and some are not but I take all of them with a grain of salt or just ignore them. But, maybe I'm not so thin-skinned as others who get their feelings hurt over a careless post.

Yep, I'm a fan of Bimmerfest and I will keep coming back. Just my two cents...

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i

Last edited by caseysc1; 01-18-2010 at 07:28 AM.