Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530I
Beisan Vanos Procedure Question

The Beisan procedure looks a little simpler than the one described in the Bentley manual. For one thing, the Bentley procedure has you set the #1 cylinder at TDC and later check the valve timing. Plus this procedure requires several special tools.

Am I correct in assuming (using the Beisan method) that valve timing is not an issue since the timing chain does get removed?

Please comment if you've done the Beisan procedure DIY. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2010, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
I recently did the Vanos procedure on my 2000 528i. My car has the Double Vanos unit where the timing (cam lock) tools are not necessary. It is my understanding you need the tool on the single Vanos procedure. As far as difficulty. As long as you follow Rajaie's excellent write up you will be fine. In fact the Vanos repair was a walk in the park compared to the valve tray cleanup that I had to do when I discovered severe sludge in my engine.
I am happy to say the car is running great now - no stutters on cold start . Well worth doing!
Obviously prepare to replace the valve cover gasket while you are there with your car's age and if you haven't do the plugs too.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 01-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the advise. I changed the plugs at 100k. My car is an '03 530i with double vanos. I'll tackle the vanos seal job this spring when I replace my aux fan assembly. It's presently deactivated due to a current drain problem.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
You are correct. The Beisan procedure is for replacing the VANOS seals only and is much easier than the Bentley. The Bentley (117-37 - 117-41) procedure is for removing the VANOS unit, requires the BMW special tool 11 2 300 and is a bit more complicated. Just ignore the Bentley and follow the Beisan DIY. It will take about 4 hours, a little longer if you take your time. Have done it twice and have two more to go this spring (my brother's E46 and BIL's E60). Technically straightforward, the probability for screwing this DIY up is very small, no worse than replacing brake pads. The payback is very high: cures idle roughness, hesitation, improves torque and makes your engine growl! Two thumbs up!!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the info. My engine is still running smoothly at 110K but I suppose it's only a matter of time since according to Beisan the original seals begin to fail on day one. Do you mean four hours after fan and shroud are removed?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:57 PM

That includes fan removal. That is the hardest part of the whole procedure. While you may not feel ANY symptoms, the mistiming is there because the seals are shot and the VANOS cannot do it's job properly. When you remove the seals, they will feel like plastic instead of rubber. Remember what that did to the Challenger? What will occur is a complete restoration of engine timing to spec. What you will feel is a restoration of the original low end torque. Simply amazing.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Will give it a try and post my results.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
You are correct. The Beisan procedure is for replacing the VANOS seals only and is much easier than the Bentley. The Bentley (117-37 - 117-41) procedure is for removing the VANOS unit, requires the BMW special tool 11 2 300 and is a bit more complicated. Just ignore the Bentley and follow the Beisan DIY. It will take about 4 hours, a little longer if you take your time. Have done it twice and have two more to go this spring (my brother's E46 and BIL's E60). Technically straightforward, the probability for screwing this DIY up is very small, no worse than replacing brake pads. The payback is very high: cures idle roughness, hesitation, improves torque and makes your engine growl! Two thumbs up!!
Well Fudman your confused on your count of 2. There is a 3'rd one. Mine
Old 01-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxragtop View Post
Well Fudman your confused on your count of 2. There is a 3'rd one. Mine

I'll add it to the list, Dave!!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
Count me in boys. Fud has it down and I'm a decent wingman. But Dave you'll doing the heavy lifting. Fud likes microbrew.
CL
1986 911 Coupe (track car)
Greater Boston, MA
Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Can I expect similar results on my single vanos I6 even if I am having no symptoms?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:32 AM

Can't speak for single Vanos. Ask Rajaie. He is the VANOS MAN!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
The single Vanos is greatly helped by this procedure as well---some claim it helps even more.

Rjim--having all those miles on your car doesn't mean a thing about how the Vanos is operating--the model car you have does--the ecu in your car masks the problems that are occuring in you car--your seals are shot and until you replace them--you won't realize just how well your car can perform. This brings the engine timing back into the spec from BMW.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm also getting occasional misfires when the engine is cold. My indy shop has checked fault codes three times and has come up with different cylinders each time. Could this be Vanos related? Or are the coils intermittantly slow to fire up? Plugs are new.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
How many miles are you at now? Definitely sounds like coils, but a 2003 530? Seems a bit premature.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Mileage at 110K. How much to replace all the coils? And why should the coils care if the engine is hot or cold?