Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-15-2010, 12:14 PM
King of Kool

Mein Auto: 2001 540i
EGR replacement

Basically i have searched and searched the forum here, and i have not found a thing for a EGR replacement for a 2001 bmw 540i. basically i need to replace the hoses, and clean it out. but after i take it off are there gaskets etc? any help at all would be much needed
Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
I'm pretty sure BMW's and most other manufacturers stopped using EGR valves quite some time ago. . That would explain why you cannot find a replacement! Do you mean the CVV valve on the back of the intake? (that would be equivalent to the PCV valve on older cars)
Old 01-15-2010, 07:04 PM
King of Kool

Mein Auto: 2001 540i
yeah sorry. i wasnt sure what exactly it was called. also i have a problem my car is bringing up these codes.
p0491
p0492
p0443
???? what is going on it smells like unburnt fuel really bad.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Was out of town, thus the delay in responding. If you smell raw fuel, do not run the car, you can easily ruin the catalytic converters. The codes are as follows:

p0491 = Secondary Air Injection System (Bank 1)
p0492 = Secondary Air Injection System (Bank 2)
p0443 = EVAP Emission Control System Purge Valve Circuit Electrical Fault in Circuit

Sounds like there is an issue with your air injection pump and or rest of system. A leak in a control tubing, or check valve somewhere. I found these in other posts which may help a little:

I recently had a mechanic replace the secondary air pump, air valve, electric control valve, and rubber hose (total cost of $1050) because a P0491 and P0492 Check Engine code appeared. After the mechanic cleared the codes, the car ran for 1 day before the Engine light and same codes (P0491 and P0492) returned

I got this same code when I changed my CCV valve. In changing the valve, I removed the intake manifold. On the back of the intake manifold (near the firewall) there was an electrical connector that I left disconnected. It's easy to do since you can't see it once the manifold is back on. You can feel it with your hand if you remove the microfilter housing. Should be easy to feel around back there and see if something is disconnected. Could also be a short in that wire I suppose. You might try a mechanic's mirror on a stick to be able to see back there.

Several months ago the check engine light returned with the same code numbers, P0491 and 0492. After searching the bulletin board, an independent BMW mechanic determined that the problem was isolated to the non-return valve, which is part number 11611312737 and according to Bav Auto, it cost $16.95 but the small plastic piece looks like it costs only 5 cents.