Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Some Say...he apexes late

Mein Auto: Z4MR
Remus Exhuast review for Z4M - update @ 90 days

Well it's been nearly 3 months with the Remus installed, and I'm really pleased with the exhaust note and the looks. Install was simple.

The sound has deepened a bit as the cans got broken in. I tried the RPI exhaust for a day and found it far too loud on the freeway for my taste; unable hear a phone conversation etc. The Remus has been excellent.

I posted a sound clip of the current 'broken-in' tone HERE.

The sound clip includes three segments: [1] stationary [2] top down, from a stop and [3] in a deserted parking garage. Please ignore the washer-type sounds in the audio, I was using a digital voice recorder and it's a limitation of the device.

Here are a few recent photos:
Click image for larger version

Name:	r1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	215215

Name:	r2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	215216

Name:	r3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	215217
Ads by Google
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini
is that the factory mesh windscreen in the first photo?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
Source and price?

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
is that the factory mesh windscreen in the first photo?
Yup.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 PM

Source/price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzax View Post
Source and price?
Sourced from Bavarian Auto [bavauto.com] for $636 per side, plus shipping.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: Z4MC
I've had the Remus for a little over a month, and not put much mileage on it. I also came from the RPI. I had the RPI for a few months and absolutely loved it for short drives----it was so totally interactive. But, like you, I found it too loud for longer periods of travel. The Remus sounds much better than stock, but, it also is overly polite. At the end of the day, the Remus is a keeper, and certainly easy to live with, but, the blipping of the throttle and the winding up towards redline are just not as much fun. Perhaps I'll see an improvement in terms of a more aggressive response as the Remus breaks in, but for now, I'll label it 'over polite' in its feedback to driver throttle initiative, but easy to live with.
Guess one can't have it all....
Old 01-20-2010, 09:53 AM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
How does the Remus sound in a closed cabin when accelerating in 6th gear from 50 to 75 mph? And in-cabin drone?

I have short listed to the Remus cans as well, but really cannot tolerate drone or an overly loud exhaust at all ... yes, I know I am a wimp.
Euro headers w/relocated sensors|RPI scoop|K&N panel filter|KW V3s|OEM Strut Brace|RE RSMs|Zeckhausen CDV|SpeedBleeders|Stoptech Brake Lines|StopTech 4-pot BBK all around|SSR GT2-H 19x8.5/19x10|Potenza RE-11s
Texas Mile (March, 2010): 155.4 mph
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci & '06Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
How does the Remus sound in a closed cabin when accelerating in 6th gear from 50 to 75 mph? And in-cabin drone?

I have short listed to the Remus cans as well, but really cannot tolerate drone or an overly loud exhaust at all ... yes, I know I am a wimp.
No. No. I'm with you on this one! Remus has made its way onto my short list too. After dealing with the Supersprint Sport for all of half a day before yanking it out, these S54 engines need to have their exhausts chosen carefully or you'll be dealing with some serious drone (both from the exhaust and the female). I just wish the folks at UUC would get some Corsa cans made for us. Nothing beats that system in terms of WOT sound and in-cabin civility.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Rad Racer World Champion

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupé (S.Bronze)
I've always found it curious why people post videos/clips for exhaust note examples. I can rant about the specific reasons why this doesn't make sense, but I won't yet.

'08 Z4 M Coupé Sepang Bronze, Black/Black, Madeira Wood, CDV delete // 49th from End of Production
Old 01-20-2010, 08:32 PM

No drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post

I have no problems with exhaust note drone; in fact that's one of the advertised selling points on this exhaust. With a gentle tip the throttle, it's only marginally louder than stock. When you open the throttle alot, it's noticeably louder but you can still have a normal conversation over the note, or talk on the phone.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 PM

clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
I've always found it curious why people post videos/clips for exhaust note examples. I can rant about the specific reasons why this doesn't make sense, but I won't yet.
Yeah, it's iffy but it sucks less than trying to describe a complex noise with words....you need a great mic to do exhaust tone justice.
Hearing it in person is the best way to really judge, but it's better than nothing for a starting point.

Last edited by rcleme05; 01-20-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: Z4MC
There is NO drone in a coupe whilst appling pressure to the go fast pedal. As I stated, if anything, the REMUS is overly polite. I would, however, amend that statement after yesterdays drive. I did find, much to my delight, that when accelerating and downshifting to 4th from 6th, a very nice full sound could be gentlely heard in the cockpit.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Did the exhaust get a lot louder since it has been broken in?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Mostly deeper, more growl, maybe 10% more volume? And the roadster vs coupe sound is probably different, with nothing [or cloth] between the back of the car and your ears.