Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 01 740I
Question for a pro

I HAVE JUST DONE A RETOFIT . I PUT 98 COMFORT SEATS IN 2001 740I AND THE AIRBAG LIGHT ON THE DASH IS ON BEFORE THIS PROJECT THE LIGHT WOULD COME ON AFTER STARTUP AND THEN GO OFF. ALSO THE STERRING WHEEL IS ACTING UP I DONT KNOW IF IT HAS SOMETHING DO TO WITH THIS OR NOT , BUT IT MOVES UP AND DOWN BUT WILL NOT GO IN AND OUT. ANY IDEAS? ABOUT THE WHEEL>? ALSO I COULD USE THE WIRE DIGRAM ON THE SEAT. THANK YOU
DAVE
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i'm lost by your post. do you mean that your srs (airbag) light would come on and then go off when you started the car *before* you put the seats in, and now that they are in, the light stays on??

-or-

the srs light was on before you put the seats in, and now the light comes on and goes off when you start the vehicle??

if it is the latter, then i'd say that is normal operation, don't worry about it. if it is the first one, then make sure that everything is plugged in (first), then get the code pulled.

as for the steering wheel, do you mean up and down as in 'raise and lower', or 'up and down' as in it's lose and fells like it's going to fall off'?? the steering column should telescope (in and out), so it may be a faulty switch, or motor.

sorry to not give you a clear answer, but the more concise the question, the more likely it will be to get a proper answer. also, have you tried searching the archives?? i suggest 'telescopic steering column issues' to start.

good luck.

df
Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 01 740I
Thanks let me make it clear. The srs light comes on now and stays on now with the new seats in. With the old seats it does not stay on.( normal operation) i need the wire diagram. Thanks

dave
Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
You might try searching thru here: http://www.e38.org/

If all of the connectors are plugged in and the ignition was not turned on while the seats were out it might be the passenger occupancy sensor. If someone kneeled in the seat it may have broken the sensor.
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: Bimmers are sold :(
I think it has something to do with the seat belt tensioner in the new seat of yours "triggered if a collission is detected". At least that is one of the common problems with these cars.

Check this DIY

Last edited by Daytona_BMW; 01-23-2010 at 10:46 AM.