Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 ii
Post Help install the windshield and the rear glass on my 1974 2002 II

how can i install the windshield and the rear glass on my 1974 2002 II
beemer
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 ii
glass

how can install back the rear glass and the windshield on a 1874 2002Ii bmw
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
This should help you out -

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/...25715c1cae4d8/

Tim
Old 12-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1973 3.0CS, 1969 2002
Step 1, hire an experienced glass installer, without the trim tool you will never succeed. Even with the right tool it can be very difficult. Step 2, join the BMW2002FAQ if you need help or answers.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: **** you
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb chris View Post
step 1, hire an experienced glass installer, without the trim tool you will never succeed. Even with the right tool it can be very difficult. Step 2, join the bmw2002faq if you need help or answers.
+1
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
haha im a glass guy what do you need to know?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
ill agree with the tools we use a thing called a cold knife which you slide between the windshield and the frame after you take the moulding off and save it. the knife is in a L shape with a pulling handle so you have grip with two hands then after the top and sides are cut we spray water on the bottom and hit it with a thing we call a extractor which is a metal putty knife strapped to a sawsall so you can cut the urothane

so if your doing it the first step will be

#1 remove cowl
#2 remove rear veiw mirror (might need to turn it to get it off if theres no setting screw)
#3 remove molding ( you can most likley get a new one ordered for you from a glass shop in your area) it runs us around 11 bucks so you will probably pay 20$ for it but its better then messin around with trying to save a warped out moulding
#4 place a plastic putty knife or something to separate the headliner a lil from the windshield so when your putting your knife through it it wont damage your liner ( your going to have to cut it from the inside of the car with a razor knife if you dont have the right tool. **use water for lubricant or something so the knife can glide a little**
as soon as you get a corner free you can push a little to get more space to cut more of the windshield out
#5 you should be cutting the bottom now take a spray bottle or something and get the bottom the the shield wet and you might need a really long razor knife to clear the dash and get to the glue from the inside
bango you should have that thing out. im imagining that you couldnt save the windshield since all that you used was a razor knife,putty knife and water
but next is the easy but important part
put the moulding onto the windshield first before you primer it ( fingerprints put oil onto the primer and muck it up)
you need to clear primer the windshield and put black primer on your frame ONLY ON PARTS WHERE METAL AND PAINT IS SHOWING UROTHANE STICKS TO ITSSELF BETTER THEN THE PRIMER
let it sit and dry for 10 minutes
now you need urothane sicatrak drive is what we use in the shop and you need a geared down caulking gun (not the one you use for silicone but a heavy duty one) because this stuff comes out thick and it will kill your forarm if your not used to doing it
you need to run a bead 1/4 inch thick by 3/8 inch tall around the windshield try and follow the past line in the frame of the car ( we always do it to the windshield at the shop but whatevers more comfortable to you)
now since thats gooped up here comes the part i havent figured out yet
somehow you need to place the windshield onto the carframe but i dont imagine you have suction cups at your house.
but whatever you will figure it out. place the windshield onto the car and make sure you have good communication because you have to center it right and not squish it left and right too much or you will have a mess
after its on and into the place you need it push in the windshield with flat hand pressure while pushing up a little while doing the top
** now tape a strip on the left of the windshield to the top of the roof and a strip on the right to keep the windshield from sliding down**
use thick painters tape and use 2 big long strips
now seat the bottom down
perfect now you just have to put the cowl back on and put your mirror on
my bmw has the style mirror where you need to turn it counter clockwise to get it off so keep that in mind
i hope this helped
Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M5 VW MK2
Google it and you may find some one done it