Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
E38 upper radiator hose

my hose came loose today while i was driving. i noticed a nice white cloud following me. i first thought i had a blow head gasket, but looked to see that the hose had detached from the engine. i put a new hose clamp, let the cooling system bubble everything out and added new coolant. seems to be ok now. i didnt let it overheat extremely, but it did get hot. i dont think i should have any problems, but is there any other was of purging air pockets out of the system?

the way i did it was by running the car with the heater on, with the coolant cap off. then letting it cool for a minute added coolant until it was full. ran the car, then added some more coolant. its not bubbling in the system like it was at first, so i think the air pocket has come out. i may have all new coolant hoses installed, maybe a new water pump because i dont want this to happen again. i surely dont want to warp the cylinder heads. this would be some prevetative part replacement. i'll have to see what they will charge me to do this service at the dealership.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 PM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Mein Auto: The E38
Don't you have the quick connect hose ends?

Both my E38 and E39 have cooling system overhauls on a schedule of every 60-70K miles. Radiator, expansion tank, hoses, two belts. Water pump and thermostat at the same time is a good idea. Though I think if either of those fail, you get a slow leak instead of a massive blow out, and you can limp your way to the shop or home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyItaliano View Post
...the way i did it was by running the car with the heater on, with the coolant cap off. then letting it cool for a minute added coolant until it was full. ran the car, then added some more coolant
There is also a bleed screw, rather than the main expansion tank cap. I have followed these instructions and have always had good luck: Bleed procedures from "Magnum"

Passed on to new families:
E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

Last edited by M.Wong; 12-21-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 AM

well thats helpful. thanks. next time i'll use that instead of letting it blow out like a guiser.

i was really just in a hurry to get it fixed though, but it did work out. the engine heats up the same rate it always has and isnt overheating. so all is well with it. and yes, it does have those lovely quick connect hoses. the hose just came loose from the plastic part. i'm thinking i will just do the replacement part myself as i am fully capable.

are the hoses terribly expensive? i can tell the water pump has been replaced at some point, so i dont think it will need replacement. it just might be a good idea though, with the plastic impeller it has.

*Der E38*
Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 AM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

You may have to bleed it a couple times, a few days apart. Even if all is going well, check the fluid level when cold some morning here in the next few days, just in case. The heat turned up and the fan turned down, plus the engine rev, is the method that seems to be most effective.

I paid about $45 for the big hose, $25-$29 for each of the two small ones, top vent hose (top of expansion tank to radiator nipple not shown on the link) wasn't much, maybe $15ish?
Link: Cooling parts from board sponsor oembimmerparts.com

They also have the package deal for $650:
-Radiator Behr Brand
-Waterpump Graf Brand
-Thermostat OEM
-Upper Radiator Hose OEM
-Lower Radiator Hose OEM
-Expansion Tank OEM
-Fan Clutch OEM
-Waterpump Belt OEM
-A/C Belt OEM
(Also need coolant, expansion tank cap, and top vent hose. I changed the fan and fan cluth as well, some also do the belt tensioners at the same time.)

E30 1987 325i Royal Blue

Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 AM

well tonight the plastic connector that goes onto the water pump cracked. i made it home without overheating. i should have just ordered the new hose weeks ago. i have a feeling i should just replace the rest of the hoses, besides the upper radiator hose. i have epoxied the pieced for the time being, hopefully this will hold for a couple of days until i get a proper replacement from the dealership. good thing its not terribly expensive. itsnt it nice how they made the connectors out of plastic, good going BMW! not!

*Der E38*
Old 01-24-2010, 06:08 PM

looks like the plastic quick connect is rotting out from the inside. the epoxy is holding fine, so i can drive the car. i didnt even have the applicator, but seems like it set up well. in the morning im going to order the hoses at the dealership. im going to see how much the radiator and expansion tank are as well since i dont know if they've ever been changed. the water pump is fairly new on my car though.

*Der E38*
Old 01-24-2010, 08:02 PM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Not to be critical, but you probably should have bought the hose a month ago when you first notice a problem with it. I would never risk my engine by driving with a hose that is compromised/repaired for more than the amount of time it would take to safely get home or off a highway. Buy new hoses or have a blown engine?? Seems like an easy choice.

Hoses may have date stamps on them, replace all of them if you already have one failing and you don't know how old they are.

If you have an OEM or Behr radiator you should see a date label on the passenger side, photo from Q:

E30 1987 325i Royal Blue

Old 01-25-2010, 12:26 AM

I'll check the date stickers on the parts. Im going to see if the hoses are in stock. If not im waiting about a week for them to ship. I really don't want this happening again so im just going ahead and replacing the rest of them at the same time. I originally thought the hose clamp was the only problem but it's really the plastic thats breaking down. I might also order another grille at this same time as I've replaced the passenger side already. All OEM BMW parts too. No cheap crap.

*Der E38*
Old 01-25-2010, 04:40 PM

lucky for me they had everything in stock, minus the grille.

the hoses werent too much. upper and lower were $38.62 each, the temperature sensor was $26.38, so it didnt break the bank.

this has to be one of the easiest cars to work on. the quick connects are pretty easy to disconnect and everything is fairly easy to access. much easier to work on than my subaru was.

*Der E38*