Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
03 754Li - Universal joint?

my local bmw dealership is saying my 7 needs a universal joint. I took it in today complaining of rough shifting up/down in low gears and late shifting (high rpms). Orginally they said hey couldn't find anything wrong and now their saying a Universal Joint. Where is the UJ??

two questions: does this sound right, and how much should this cost me?

I have a warranty that covers these things....

Transmission: All internal Lubricated parts in: Transmission Case, Torque Converter, Bell Housing

Differential: All internal Lubricated partins in: Differential Housing, Transfer case, Differential Cover
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Alpine White & Black

Mein Auto: 2003 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearziz View Post
my local bmw dealership is saying my 7 needs a universal joint. I took it in today complaining of rough shifting up/down in low gears and late shifting (high rpms). Orginally they said hey couldn't find anything wrong and now their saying a Universal Joint. Where is the UJ??

two questions: does this sound right, and how much should this cost me?

I have a warranty that covers these things....

Transmission: All internal Lubricated parts in: Transmission Case, Torque Converter, Bell Housing

Differential: All internal Lubricated partins in: Differential Housing, Transfer case, Differential Cover
Similar thing happened to me, 2003 745i.

My 6 year factory warranty ran out in late June, I went on vacation to Europe for July, then in August/September I was shopping around for extended warranty from a couple dealers. I came across a local dealer that offered me a good price on the extended warranty, but they said we have to pass an inspection that was $150. After negotiating we decided they should waive the inspection fee if we passed and sell us the warranty. If we failed, however, they would be unable to sell us the warranty and therefore we had to pay for the inspection.

We left the car at the dealer, and in the morning we get a phone call. I was asleep, my dad picked it up, they said we had failed, and 2 things were broken, and one was a grand and the other was 2 grand. Right there on the phone he asked my dad if he should "go ahead and fix those." Obviously we said no, let us at least drive over and come see the car before we pay you 3 grand to fix something that we were ****faced to find out were supposedly "broken"

Anyway, one of the broken parts was the "drive axle joint" which I believe is the same thing as the "U joint" and that was around $950 or so

There can only be one of 3 conclusions:

1) After 6 years of driving the car, some completely random and unbelievably unfortunate set of luck caused two very expensive and unrelated parts (the other part had to do with rear suspension) to break within the month or two (a big chunk of which was spent out of the country not driving my car) that we had been out of our 6 year warranty (the car had only 43k miles, mind you)

2) In the last months of my factory warranty I had taken the car in I think 3 times to fix certain things and check everything off before the warranty ended...so the dealer lied or covered up one or both of those broken parts so they won't have to fix it for free

3) This second dealer was lying about the broken parts just to get $150 off us. My uncle, a very experienced mechanic tells me there's no way these things are broken, he lifted the car up and looked

2003 BMW 745i Sport package Alpine White with Black roof || Black Sport wheels || ACS roof and trunk spoilers || 2 tone creme/black interior || HID foglights || full tint|| black grill || 12V 295/345Hz twin import Horns(my fav)

1988 BMW 325e Alpine White under major facelift and construction

Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM

update:

The dealership called the warranty company which agreed to fix the U-Joint and pay 75 dollars of the labor rate. The Labor rate is $120. My total with 100 deductable is 234$

When I spoke to the dealership earlier that day they said they would reset my transmission driving adaptation??? (i.e. shifting habits) for free if I had the U-Joint replaced. That would be 1 hour labor. Now when I called to approve the repair the dealership is changing their story. They are saying that since the warranty company will not cover the cost of the computer reset they wont do it for me. Basically lying to my face (ole bait and switch). The guy said "You should have told me you had an extended warranty before hand because we have nothing but problems with them). I said you're getting paid either way so what do you care? You said you'd fix it for free when it was coming out of my pocket and now that you're upset you have to deal with a warranty company you change your story. Either way we argued for a little while after he insulted me several times to the extent of "my guys dont work for free, I dont care if you go somewhere else or not etc. etc.) Obviously they have a monoply going on so what choice do I have....Their trying to rip me off. They don't even know if the U-Joint is 100% the issue. After they got approval for the reapir they had already started breaking things down. So even though I was considering NOT going with the BMW dealship what choice do i have now.... I had a indy dealership look at the tranny a month ago and they said everything was fine (but i know that's not the case at all). Point is you can't trust anyone these days when it comes to cars. You need to know your stuff...cause you can only trust yourself. Wish me LUCK!!!! Hopefully the tech isn't as retarded as the desk prick.

Don't deal with Grayson BMW in Knoxville TN.

Last edited by fearziz; 01-26-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Alpine White & Black

Quote:
update:

The dealership called the warranty company which agreed to fix the U-Joint and pay 75 dollars of the labor rate. The Labor rate is $120. My total with 100 deductable is 234$

When I spoke to the dealership earlier that day they said they would reset my transmission driving adaptation??? (i.e. shifting habits) for free if I had the U-Joint replaced. That would be 1 hour labor. Now when I called to approve the repair the dealership is changing their story. They are saying that since the warranty company will not cover the cost of the computer reset they wont do it for me. Basically lying to my face (ole bait and switch). The guy said "You should have told me you had an extended warranty before hand because we have nothing but problems with them). I said you're getting paid either way so what do you care? You said you'd fix it for free when it was coming out of my pocket and now that you're upset you have to deal with a warranty company you change your story. Either way we argued for a little while after he insulted me several times to the extent of "my guys dont work for free, I dont care if you go somewhere else or not etc. etc.) Obviously they have a monoply going on so what choice do I have....Their trying to rip me off. They don't even know if the U-Joint is 100% the issue. After they got approval for the reapir they had already started breaking things down. So even though I was considering NOT going with the BMW dealship what choice do i have now.... I had a indy dealership look at the tranny a month ago and they said everything was fine (but i know that's not the case at all). Point is you can't trust anyone these days when it comes to cars. You need to know your stuff...cause you can only trust yourself. Wish me LUCK!!!! Hopefully the tech isn't as retarded as the desk prick.

Don't deal with Grayson BMW in Knoxville TN.
You can't get your warranty to pay an indy? It has to be done by the dealer?

I know when I get my warranty I'm going to get one that allows me to take it to my indy and pays them for the job, rather than restricting me to the dealer and therefore putting myself in a monopoly situation.

Anyway, BEST of luck to you, I know how annoying this situation can be, and I hope it works out for the best. Keep us updated

2003 BMW 745i Sport package Alpine White with Black roof || Black Sport wheels || ACS roof and trunk spoilers || 2 tone creme/black interior || HID foglights || full tint|| black grill || 12V 295/345Hz twin import Horns(my fav)

Old 01-26-2010, 01:11 PM

I can go to the indy I bought the car from but since they had already started breaking my car down I felt like I had my hands tied. I don't want them to slap it back togethor when they already had the part. If they hadn't already started breaking things down before I approved I would have told the guy to go to *** and went back to the indy. I also want them to reset the tranny history in the computer so hopefully they will honor their word but i doubt it. They picked the wrong guy...i wont go down without a fight
Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Alpine White & Black

Quote:
I can go to the indy I bought the car from but since they had already started breaking my car down I felt like I had my hands tied. I don't want them to slap it back togethor when they already had the part. If they hadn't already started breaking things down before I approved I would have told the guy to go to *** and went back to the indy. I also want them to reset the tranny history in the computer so hopefully they will honor their word but i doubt it. They picked the wrong guy...i wont go down without a fight
Oh I see the car hasn't always been yours...yeah that makes a difference with the tranny history cause who knows how that guy drove before you bought it

Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnWBMW View Post
Oh I see the car hasn't always been yours...yeah that makes a difference with the tranny history cause who knows how that guy drove before you bought it
You are correct