Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: das good ya?
DIY - Fix for flooded/wet carpet caused by clogged drain holes

If your footwells are flooded and all the door seals and sunroof are dry, the problem could be clogged drain holes under the micro filters. This can cause water to fill up in the drain pans and overflow into the cabin.

Remove the micro filter box
See here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260208

Here you can see the standing water

Vacuum out the standing water and remove the screw holding the plastic bracket and wiggle the bracket out

Here you can see how the bracket scissors open

There is a metal clip holding the micro filter intake closed. Wedge the clip up with a screw driver and pull the intake toward the front of the car then up and out.

Here you can see the drain hole at the very bottom of the water pan (not the hole on the far right) and all the gunk that was blocking up the flow.

Clean out the pan and blow out the drain with air pressure then test with water.

Put the micro filter intake back in the same way you took it out then flood the drain pan to check for a water tight seal around the intake. Wiggle the scissors bracket back into place aligning the dowel and screw it in. Put the micro filter back into place and you're done.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Only snag is you need to remove the front & rear seats & centre console to remove the carpets to dry them out properly as the carpets and foam underneath are super thick and are like sponges.

Took 3 days in a dealers oven to dry mine out they were that bad.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: das good ya?
Yep, that was the hard part. I pulled the passenger side carpet up and had my portable ac/dehumidifier in there for 48 hours. Between the dehumidifier and the shop vac I must have sucked 4 or 5 gallons out of there, but now its bone dry. Only issue I have now is an airbag error because I unplugged the seat to pull the carpet up (hopefully $20 at an indy to reset it).