Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 PM
stjoelax07 stjoelax07 is offline
Registered User
Location: South Bend, IN
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
I hate to say it but Im not 100% sure, but I dont think the 2002 is a e60, and so far the mechatronics has been the common issue...
__________________

2006 750i Black Sapphire, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Comfort Seating, Cooled seats, Heated Rear Seats, MTEC Angel Eyes.
2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, K40 Caliber Built in Radar System
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 PM
jdk jdk is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 325i
04 545i with 53K

I just bought a used 04 545i with 52K and my car is doing the exact same thing. I actually google searched "545i jerk at 40mph" and this forum was the first result. I am sure there are many people out there with this same problem, I am just wondering if the "hardware" is was HAS to be replaced. Also are you getting anywhere with the lawyer and this case?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 PM
durhang durhang is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 545iA
Cost to fix VANOS issue

FIII how much did you pay to fix the VANOS issue?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 PM
stjoelax07 stjoelax07 is offline
Registered User
Location: South Bend, IN
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
I have been told it is the hardware that has to be replaced, but still fighting with my local dealer, right now cars in storage, thing about contacting a dealer in chicago, or indy about it maybe they will be able to assist a bit more... still hopen that other people that have this issue will speak up to BMW too.
__________________

2006 750i Black Sapphire, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Comfort Seating, Cooled seats, Heated Rear Seats, MTEC Angel Eyes.
2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, K40 Caliber Built in Radar System
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM
MichaelKies MichaelKies is offline
Registered User
Location: Ladera Ranch, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 04 545i
Taking my 545i BACK into Crevier BMW in Irvine with this same problem. Had them look at it last week for the problem (along with a fluid leak). They fixed the leak and said the surging was caused by that. WRONG!! Car still surging in 5th gear. I have a buddy who took his 545i in last year to BMW in Long Beach for the SAME issue and they fixed a major hardware problem. They covered it under warranty but only after some fighting. I will keep you updated as to what they tell me!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
aiwapro aiwapro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan, United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 748
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Don't you all think the surging issue should create recall? Look at what is occurring with Toyota? I've had mine surge in first gear, after just pulling out of parking space.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
aiwapro aiwapro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan, United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 748
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKies View Post
Taking my 545i BACK into Crevier BMW in Irvine with this same problem. Had them look at it last week for the problem (along with a fluid leak). They fixed the leak and said the surging was caused by that. WRONG!! Car still surging in 5th gear. I have a buddy who took his 545i in last year to BMW in Long Beach for the SAME issue and they fixed a major hardware problem. They covered it under warranty but only after some fighting. I will keep you updated as to what they tell me!
What was your fluid leak? I have an oil leak; I wanna say about mid way under the car, but it's probably just in front of the shifter. I notice a little oil on the garage floor. Oil level looks kind of ok, need to look at the manual to try and find out the normal level. I haven't taken it to the dealership specifically for this yet, but just wondering.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
stjoelax07 stjoelax07 is offline
Registered User
Location: South Bend, IN
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwapro View Post
What was your fluid leak? I have an oil leak; I wanna say about mid way under the car, but it's probably just in front of the shifter. I notice a little oil on the garage floor. Oil level looks kind of ok, need to look at the manual to try and find out the normal level. I haven't taken it to the dealership specifically for this yet, but just wondering.

Its not an engine oil leak but tranny problem, and I believe there is a bulletin about it and has to be fixed under warranty, something goofy with it. But let me know if you have any luck with the BMW center about the surging, maybe I should have my dealer call yours...
__________________

2006 750i Black Sapphire, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Comfort Seating, Cooled seats, Heated Rear Seats, MTEC Angel Eyes.
2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, K40 Caliber Built in Radar System
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 PM
AntDX316 AntDX316 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,163
Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
I have an 05 545i and it drives fine. The power surges your probably talking about is when you press the throttle off and on the computer is trying to think if you need to floor it or not. If you keep it steady then it can recognize your intent for power. If you don't want any power surge you might as well be on semi-automatic mode and shift it yourself but your mpg would drop by 8 vs being on Drive.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
v26278 v26278 is offline
Registered User
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: 2005 545
I had the same problem, ended up with a new trans, under warranty. Not sure if you need the same, if it is any help here is my complaint as well as all the stuff the dealer put on the work order:


Desc: TRANS ASSEMBLY, R&R
Complaint: C/S: WITH ENGINE WELL-WARMED-UP, DRIVING STEADILY AT LIG HT THROTTLE AT 60 KMH, THE ENINE WIL SPUTTER, OR HESITAT E OR CUT-OUT, (NOT SURE WHAT TO CALL IT) REPETITIVELY AT APPROXIMATELY 5 SECOND INTEVALS FOR A VERY BRIEF MOMENT EACH TIME, CAUSING THE VEHILCE TO MONETARILY LOOSE MOME NTUM - YOU CAN HEAR IT AS WELL AS FEEL IT
Correction: PERFORMED DIAGNOSTIC TEST - NO FAULTS, PERFORMED ROAD TEST CREATED PUMA CASE-RESPONSE CAN FAULTS MAY CAUSE COMPLAINT CHECK CAN BUS & TEST PLANS -CHK OK, UPDATE PUMA - RESPONSE REPLACE TRANSMISSION, RE&RE TRANSMISSION, EXTRACT BROKEN BOLT IN SHIFT CABLE MOUNT,FLUSH TRANS COOLER, PROGRAMED EGS - NO COMMUNICATION, CHK CONNECTOR - OK, PERFORMED BATTERY DISCHARGE, REPROGRAM EGS & ENCODE COMPLETE VEHICLE FAILED EGS REQUIRES PART NUMER & NOT STORING, UPDATE PUMA, PUMA REMOTE PROGRAMED VEHICLE, PERFORMED OVERNIGHT
__________________
'05 545 sport
'03 540 M-sport
'00 528 sport
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 PM
stjoelax07 stjoelax07 is offline
Registered User
Location: South Bend, IN
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
I have an 05 545i and it drives fine. The power surges your probably talking about is when you press the throttle off and on the computer is trying to think if you need to floor it or not. If you keep it steady then it can recognize your intent for power. If you don't want any power surge you might as well be on semi-automatic mode and shift it yourself but your mpg would drop by 8 vs being on Drive.
No actually it is a constant hold on the throttle, even in cruise control this happens. And i doubt that every one of us that has this issue, is doing what you are saying.

As for v26278 Im not sure, but did you take it to your dealer and how long ago, I wonder if my dealer could contact yours and talk about it, because if it opened a puma case that means there is something wrong with the cars and I think they are trying to take care of it silently.
__________________

2006 750i Black Sapphire, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Comfort Seating, Cooled seats, Heated Rear Seats, MTEC Angel Eyes.
2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, K40 Caliber Built in Radar System
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 PM
jdk jdk is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 325i
stjoelax07, we appear to be having the same problem, I have done a little research and I found a SIB that explains exactly our problem.

SI B 24 03 09
Automatic Transmission April 2009
Technical Service

SUBJECT
550i and 650i with N62TU and 6HP26 - Various Drivability Complaints


MODEL
E60, 550iA produced from 09/05 up to 02/07

E63, E64; 650i produced from 09/05 up to 09/07


SITUATION
The customer may complain about one or a combination of the following situations, listed below:

Intermittent harsh 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 downshift (jolt) when coming to a stop with light brake application.

Jolts and/or jerks felt when reaccelerating after coasting.

Judder when gently accelerating (most noticeable at an engine speed below 2,000 RPM).

CAUSE
DME and EGS software calibration

SOLUTION
Program the vehicle with ISTA/P 2.33.0 or later, using the path "Conversion" and "Downshift behavior". After this modification, the k-word "HADS" will be added to the Vehicle Order.

Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.

For information on programming and coding with ISTA/P, refer to CenterNet / Aftersales Portal / Service / Workshop Technology / Vehicle Programming".

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Certified Pre-Owned Program.

Defect Code:
24 00 33 98 00

When I took my car to the dealer they said that they could not perform this upgrade because it doesn't match the same production year of my car EVEN THOUGH it is the same transmission 6HP26. I bought my car used and it hasnt had an software update since 2005. Likewise I have no warranty.

The ironic thing now is that my transmission has sprung a leak, had an Indy take a glance at it after noticed light brown puddle in my parking space, and now my transmission has stopped jerking around 37mph with light throttle.. Im baffled! Just curious, what is a PUMA??
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 PM
aiwapro aiwapro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan, United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 748
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
You know, I think my tranny might be leaking as well, I thought it was motor oil, because the oil on the ground wasn't red. The color was maybe a light brown, which is the same color as motor oil can be, but the small puddle was just in front of the shifter.

Hmmm, I have a third-party warranty, so I guess I'll take it into the dealer, but I too was having issues with there being like a flat spot around 40 mph, where it wouldn't shift unless I applied much more gas. I would like to have that resolved when they fix the leak. Where is yours leaking at on the tranny? Is it a seal or something?

I wonder if I should call BMW North America, since the trans. are the same in the '04 and '05 545i, but they exclude the 2004?

Are all of these issues the same culprit, whatever that is, meaning the issues of jerkiness at acceleration, and the flatness around the 40mph mark, pointing to the same issue with the trans., whatever that might be.

Last edited by aiwapro; 02-04-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 PM
aiwapro aiwapro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan, United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 748
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoelax07 View Post
Its not an engine oil leak but tranny problem, and I believe there is a bulletin about it and has to be fixed under warranty, something goofy with it. But let me know if you have any luck with the BMW center about the surging, maybe I should have my dealer call yours...
Ok, I'm gonna have to take it in. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Ben's 545i Ben's 545i is offline
Registered User
Location: South of Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: '04 545i, 01 740il
I'm new over here on Bimmerfest but am on a couple other forums. Happened to see the thread here and decided to join and comment on the OP's issues. My car's an '04 545i with 79,000 on the clock.

A little background....I had an oil stain on my garage which I ended up figuring out to be a cracked transmission pan. Brought it into dealer and had them replace that, the mechatronics sleeve and the trans. fluid.

After doing all this I had the same exact issue as the OP. The car would shift into 5th gear and then between 35-40mph at a very low 1200rpm or so I would get the surging or slipping of the transmission. It was a very light repetative hesitation. It almost felt like the electronics were trying to decide whether it should stay in 5th or shift back to 4th because of low rpm's. It would happen with an extremely light accelerator pressure. If you gave it a little more gas it would go away. A couple times I'd get a really harsh surge almost like the "slam". It would never throw a code.

I brought it back in and my tech drove the heck out of it and couldn't get it to do it. He reset the adaptive values and the thing ran great getting home but next day the slip was back again. Took it by my tech house, drove around for 20 ins. and you guessed it....nothing!

Back to the shop we go. He opened a case with BMWNA and phone tech eventually isolated it to the mechatronics unit. BMWNA agreed to warranty the $3,000 part and I have to cover the labor at $780.00.

Hope this helps others. It seems like it's becoming more and more of an issue. While I did get the part fully covered I'm not sure how much goodwill they'll extend to others. It seems to be on a case by case basis. I also see that many are questioning the car needing to throw a code to get service to do anything. The code helps the tech opening a PUMA case with BMWNA. When it throws a code, the BMWNA phone tech can see it's thrown a code and can go into car's electronics over the computers and try to figure out the issue. It really helps your local tech deal with BMWNA in expressing exactly what is happening.

Last edited by Ben's 545i; 02-05-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 AM
aiwapro aiwapro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan, United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 748
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's 545i View Post
I'm new over here on Bimmerfest but am on a couple other forums. Happened to see the thread here and decided to join and comment on the OP's issues. My car's an '04 545i with 79,000 on the clock.

A little background....I had an oil stain on my garage which I ended up figuring out to be a cracked transmission pan. Brought it into dealer and had them replace that, the mechatronics sleeve and the trans. fluid.

After doing all this I had the same exact issue as the OP. The car would shift into 5th gear and then between 35-40mph at a very low 1200rpm or so I would get the surging or slipping of the transmission. It was a very light repetative hesitation. It almost felt like the electronics were trying to decide whether it should stay in 5th or shift back to 4th because of low rpm's. It would happen with an extremely light accelerator pressure. If you gave it a little more gas it would go away. A couple times I'd get a really harsh surge almost like the "slam". It would never throw a code.

I brought it back in and my tech drove the heck out of it and couldn't get it to do it. He reset the adaptive values and the thing ran great getting home but next day the slip was back again. Took it by my tech house, drove around for 20 ins. and you guessed it....nothing!

Back to the shop we go. He opened a case with BMWNA and phone tech eventually isolated it to the mechatronics unit. BMWNA agreed to warranty the $3,000 part and I have to cover the labor at $780.00.

Hope this helps others. It seems like it's becoming more and more of an issue. While I did get the part fully covered I'm not sure how much goodwill they'll extend to others. It seems to be on a case by case basis. I also see that many are questioning the car needing to throw a code to get service to do anything. The code helps the tech opening a PUMA case with BMWNA. When it throws a code, the BMWNA phone tech can see it's thrown a code and can go into car's electronics over the computers and try to figure out the issue. It really helps your local tech deal with BMWNA in expressing exactly what is happening.
I'm saving all of this info. from people with the issue, so that I can take mine into the dealer. Did this Mechatronics replacement resolve all issues with the transmission: Do you have any quick shifts while accelerating from 0, the flatness around the 40 mph mark I assume is gone, and finally, do you having any jerkiness when decelerating to 0?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Ben's 545i Ben's 545i is offline
Registered User
Location: South of Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: '04 545i, 01 740il
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwapro View Post
I'm saving all of this info. from people with the issue, so that I can take mine into the dealer. Did this Mechatronics replacement resolve all issues with the transmission: Do you have any quick shifts while accelerating from 0, the flatness around the 40 mph mark I assume is gone, and finally, do you having any jerkiness when decelerating to 0?
Couldn't tell you as car is sitting in my garage waiting for part to come in at dealer...LOL They assure me that this will take care of the problem and I do really feel that it is probably the electronics. If something was actually wrong with the gear cog it would do it whenever the car was in 5th. Plus they just had the tranny pan out of the car to replace it and there was just the typical muck stuck to the filter. No unusual metal shavings etc. I will be sure to update the board on my results after the replacement. Should be late next week.

I've only experienced the 3 to 2 slam you refer to 3 times in the 20,000 miles that I've owned the car.

I think having a good relationship with your dealer is pretty important with issues like this. I pretty much do all minor stuff myself (brakes, oil change etc) but bring car to dealer for major stuff. The PO also got all service done at the same dealership I go to. Keep in mind that it's just as frustrating for the tech diagnosing the car as it is for you. Saying it is happening and actually getting it to do it when the tech is driving are 2 different things. Also, like I said earlier, a code that the car throws is also very valuable for the tech or SA to discuss the problem with the BMWNA hotline.

BMWNA has to know that this is an issue with these. There is so much talk about it across the X5's, 7's and our 5's. At a minimum the transmission slam is a huge issue now we have this issue gaining ground. I guess though, if they acknowledge that it is a problem across the ZF6, then they are going to have to extend the same goodwill to everyone and they can't selectively warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM
stjoelax07 stjoelax07 is offline
Registered User
Location: South Bend, IN
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
I guess this is really starting to drum up some support, I guess if they are fixing this but not covering fully that they are acknowledging that they have a flaw in their transmissions, and this issue started while I was still within factory warranty, and there is documentation to prove it, I'm just wondering how I could get my dealer to actually try replacing this part, any one have luck with their dealer fixing this issue with the mechtronics unit, maybe send me a message or post on here what dealer, number city and state they are in, maybe Ill be able to get them to finally budge....
__________________

2006 750i Black Sapphire, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Comfort Seating, Cooled seats, Heated Rear Seats, MTEC Angel Eyes.
2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, K40 Caliber Built in Radar System
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-08-2010, 07:36 PM
aiwapro aiwapro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan, United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 748
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Well, the flatness around the 40mph mark is definitely getting old to me. It's very apparent, and I hope they can feel and see this when the tech. drives it. It' getting old, really, because 40 - 45 is a nice crusing speed that I find myself going a lot on city streets, and when you're ready to speed up just a bit, with this issue, you have to really give it a lot more gas, just for it to shift to the next gear. There's no reason for this, and passengers are like, ummm, what are you doing, there's a car in front of you.

Keep us posted please, on you vehicle's repairs.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-10-2010, 04:05 PM
MichaelKies MichaelKies is offline
Registered User
Location: Ladera Ranch, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 04 545i
Guys, just got my car back, and sure enough they changed out the MECHATRONICS (MECHATRONIX? Ive seen it spelled both ways). Ive had the car for 3 days now and the surging problem is completely gone. Since the tech was able to re-create/witness the surging BMW covered the repair completely under my 100,000 mile extended warranty (and from what Ive read its about a $4000 fix). Like Ive posted before, I also had a friend with the same car and same issue and he ALSO had the Mechatronix changed out and it resolved the problem!
Have the tech RE-CREATE/WITNESS your problem then MENTION that you have read online about the Mechatronix problem. They SHOULD take care of it if youre still under warranty!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-10-2010, 04:11 PM
jagu's Avatar
jagu jagu is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,529
Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKies View Post
Guys, just got my car back, and sure enough they changed out the MECHATRONICS (MECHATRONIX? Ive seen it spelled both ways). Ive had the car for 3 days now and the surging problem is completely gone. Since the tech was able to re-create/witness the surging BMW covered the repair completely under my 100,000 mile extended warranty (and from what Ive read its about a $4000 fix). Like Ive posted before, I also had a friend with the same car and same issue and he ALSO had the Mechatronix changed out and it resolved the problem!
Have the tech RE-CREATE/WITNESS your problem then MENTION that you have read online about the Mechatronix problem. They SHOULD take care of it if youre still under warranty!
I thought it would be the mechatronic body. Yes, they cost $5k to replace.
__________________

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM
shorttough shorttough is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 545i
I've been experiencing this Surging problem since the last 5000 miles on and off. Like I'd be be cruising between 35-40mph one day and seemed like it got corrected itself the next, again problem would re-appear. Initially, i thought it was the gas I was putting in my car, thus i changed my preferred Gas Station thinking that the ethanol level might be too high than 10%, thinking it would help, but it reappeared later on. And during cold temperature, the Problem seem to just Disappear!!!

I've been researching a lot, some say its the mechatronics, others say the Vanos Unit got a rubber seal and replacing the rubber seals would help. Then, there is a website that explains exactly what's happening to my car: http://www.beisansystems.com/index.html but its for the 6 cylinder cars. I'm out of warranty at 63k miles, I'm thinking of going to the parts dealer for the ZF parts: http://www.tsgparts.net/index.php?p=...=176&parent=50 and have a local independent guy replace it for me. With the trade-in value of my 2005 545i, i wonder if i'm making a good decision fixing it
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 PM
stjoelax07 stjoelax07 is offline
Registered User
Location: South Bend, IN
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKies View Post
Guys, just got my car back, and sure enough they changed out the MECHATRONICS (MECHATRONIX? Ive seen it spelled both ways). Ive had the car for 3 days now and the surging problem is completely gone. Since the tech was able to re-create/witness the surging BMW covered the repair completely under my 100,000 mile extended warranty (and from what Ive read its about a $4000 fix). Like Ive posted before, I also had a friend with the same car and same issue and he ALSO had the Mechatronix changed out and it resolved the problem!
Have the tech RE-CREATE/WITNESS your problem then MENTION that you have read online about the Mechatronix problem. They SHOULD take care of it if youre still under warranty!
Thanks! Forwarding this on to my SA, hope things go smoothly with this, definitely will let you know..
__________________

2006 750i Black Sapphire, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Comfort Seating, Cooled seats, Heated Rear Seats, MTEC Angel Eyes.
2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, K40 Caliber Built in Radar System
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-12-2010, 08:45 AM
mbebjak mbebjak is offline
Registered User
Location: Slovakia
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 530d e60
Fixed by repair of Torque Converter

I had the same surging issue as you describe and I've fixed it by having Torque Converter repaired. Now it works OK.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
shorttough shorttough is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbebjak View Post
I had the same surging issue as you describe and I've fixed it by having Torque Converter repaired. Now it works OK.

how much did it cost you with the parts and labor? if you could tell me the prices on the parts, i would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advice, bmw 5 series, issues, tranny problems


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms