Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: bicycle
Smile help with a 6 please? :0)

hi guys! im new, and thinking very seriously of getting an 05 645 manual, black/cream. the car is CPO, 53,00 mi, and 29995. they said they would take 28- is it too cheap? sound weird? im very leary of buying this car, because it just sounds too good to be true. it also was just bought from a BMW dealership and is now on a used car lot. Can they still sell it CPO or does it need to be from BMW? they said the car is in immaculate condition. sorry for asking dumb questions! also, i live in NJ and am wondering about the effectiveness of snow tires. will i be okay driving in light snow with snow tires? rain? please help, i would really appreciate any advice! thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
CPO stays with the bmw regardless of where you purchase it from - but you need to find out when it expires - which is typically 6 years from the in service date. Call your local BMW dealer and giv e him the vin - they can confirm the CPO and tell you when it expires...

If you are going to drive it year round then you must have snow tires -- the stock runflats are dangerous in the snow - little to no traction. I was stuck in DC this weekend with my 650 and I am lucky I got out alive - the runflats are really that bad in snow...
Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 07 650i Convertible
actually price is fairly average... so I would say it's not a huge bargain but is not expensive either...

just find out when the CPO expires... it may be in a few months...

I'd recommend having the BMW dealer run the VIN and download all repair/maintenance history as well as a carfax.
HUD, Cold Weather and Sports Package
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Rays Master Piece REM 20" Forged wheels w/ Conti Extreme DWS
Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by docpaulo View Post
just find out when the CPO expires... it may be in a few months...

I'd recommend having the BMW dealer run the VIN and download all repair/maintenance history as well as a carfax.
+1 on both suggestions.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 645 vert
It's not to cheap for one. the average price at auction for a loaded 05 coupe is currently $25,679. Ave miles for that price is 52,804

CPO makes it a pretty good deal if the CPO is to 100k.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 PM

Smile

thank you guys! i ran the carfax, everything came up good. its the 6yr, 100,000mi warranty so its up next year. i might get an extended warranty on it, is it worth it? also, im looking at blizzaks and dunlop m3's, any preferences? and will i be okay with these and not sliding all over the road? i just sold my G35 and it was a nightmare in any kind of sleet/snow. im obsessed with the 6 and would loveee to buy it- just being extra cautious! thanks! :0)
Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM

Smile

Do you think i could get them down to less than 28? its at an auto exchange place, they bought it from a dealership when it was traded in. at first they wouldnt budge from 29995, got them to 28,000-- dont know how much farther i can push. also, are brakes included in CPO warranty? sorry for all the ?'s
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535X M Sport
brakes are considered wear and tear so it would not be covered.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 645
Correct me if im wrong, CPO only covers "engine repairs" transmission, etc, while Maintenance warranty covers the brakes, oil changes, wear n tear on the clutch, etc... if you plan on getting anyone of these, do some research and get the best quote, hopefully your SA can price match. I called all over from Cali to NY and my SA in TN dropped $450 for me. Good luck buddy!

Winter tires are great, dont expect much more than casual driving, steep hills are a no no!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 650I, GL450, Escalade
make sure you understand that maintence is going to still be costly

2012 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes GL450

2010 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 HP SC

2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 650i 6MT SOLD

2008 White Diamond Tricoat Cadillac Escalade SOLD
Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 PM

brake jobs which could be due unless they were recently serviced can cost a grand or more... (service history will give you this info)...

otherwise it's the tires that will cost you money...

I'd say put 200 dollars a month in a 6er fund and that way you'll have cash for problems... it's probably around that much that you'll spend a year down the road...

any RWD is bad in snow, considering it's got a lot of torque it can spell trouble even with winter tires... but if you respect your machine and it's limitations you'll be fine driving in light snow...
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: x5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by docpaulo View Post
brake jobs which could be due unless they were recently serviced can cost a grand or more... (service history will give you this info)...

otherwise it's the tires that will cost you money...

I'd say put 200 dollars a month in a 6er fund and that way you'll have cash for problems... it's probably around that much that you'll spend a year down the road...

any RWD is bad in snow, considering it's got a lot of torque it can spell trouble even with winter tires... but if you respect your machine and it's limitations you'll be fine driving in light snow...
My car is fine in the snow and is better than a lot of the awd cars. I have Dunlop M3 Winter Sport tires and they are great. Do not even attempt to use the Bridgestones that came with the car in the winter as they are SUMMER ONLY tires.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
congrats and welcome, getting snow tires can be a life saver
Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
If you love it by it! the price is not bad for a CPO so at least you have some piece of mind for any major issue until next year. Post Pics once you get it and hope to see on the forum. You will be happy with the manual selection too.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Red face

thank you guys all so much ! i appreciate and took into consideration all of your advice. As for the car.. unfortunately im probably not going to be able to get it.. everyone is scaring me too much telling me it will be too expensive to maintain and too dangerous in any kind of bad weather, and needs the extra money for winter tires (not you guys, more like my family and friends) so they've all made me really scared to get the car its my dream car so im pretty upset ( and im a girl so of course im already emotionally attached to it hahah well thank u guys
Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 650I, GL450, Escalade
you the only one that knows you can afford it, but it def is one of the greatest cars i have owned yet.

2012 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes GL450

2010 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 HP SC

2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 650i 6MT SOLD

2008 White Diamond Tricoat Cadillac Escalade SOLD
Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: `11 MSport 750ix/`08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf333 View Post
Do you think i could get them down to less than 28? its at an auto exchange place, they bought it from a dealership when it was traded in. at first they wouldnt budge from 29995, got them to 28,000-- dont know how much farther i can push. also, are brakes included in CPO warranty? sorry for all the ?'s
You'll have the answer to that question once you've made such an offer. Go ahead!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 PM

Wink

i have my heart set on it! ive already pictured myself driving it and have been so excited about it haha
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf333 View Post
thank you guys all so much ! i appreciate and took into consideration all of your advice. As for the car.. unfortunately im probably not going to be able to get it.. everyone is scaring me too much telling me it will be too expensive to maintain and too dangerous in any kind of bad weather, and needs the extra money for winter tires (not you guys, more like my family and friends) so they've all made me really scared to get the car its my dream car so im pretty upset ( and im a girl so of course im already emotionally attached to it hahah well thank u guys
if you can afford the monthly payment, the insurance and the 250 dollars a month slush fund for repairs, you can afford it... (factor the tires in the purchase price upfront)...

as for the snow, it all depends on how much driving in snow experience you have... if you can drive slow and don't mind being passed, you'll be ok if you have winter tires... I assume we're talking about a coupe... a convertible can be damaged by snow accumulating on the top while parked outside...
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Smile

you guys are awesome! im so glad i joined this thank u so much for ur help! if i get it this wkend i will def post pics!!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 645
I'd say get the car since it's your dream car. Plus spring's around the corner, no need to invest in winter tires, unless its a daily driver. Blazin' keeps his indoors until the sun peeks out on the weekends. The less you drive it, the less problems you'll have with it. LOL, good luck!

Run the Vin number and work from there. Hopefully the brakes have been done, oil changes can be performed elsewhere for a few hundred every 3-6 months or so.

Last edited by suppers; 02-02-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: suburban 2500 8.1, 650i
just a heads up i just got my 2006 650 for 29.5k with 65k on the odometer, i would say its not a bad deal, but if he can come down another 1000 it would be a pretty sweet deal, but as others have said, spring is right around the conrner and people are going to be getting tax returns and looking for summer toys

i moved a couple months early on mine and absolutly love it,

my opinion if you can afford it, it has all the options that you want, has some protion of the CPO still availible, go for it. who knows the next one may be a couple thousand bucks cheeper but it may not have the options/color that your looking for.

mine had every option and was triple black, i would not have changed a thing in addition it had 23 months left on the CPO and maintnece package

Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BWM 645ci
I say buy it to...if it's not your daily driver, store it for the remaining winter months and bring it out in the spring, there's some decent storage places that offer 3 month rentals if you don't have access to a garage. I'm fortunate enough to own a pristine 1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R 3 pedal that loves the wintery roads while my 3 pedal 6 chills in the garage. I was always told, if your dreams are in reach, grab them...we only live once, enjoy your life!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Wink

thank you guys! i completely agree with you- you only live once! wow the 650 for 29 is an awesome deal! i didnt even search for 06's bc i thought i could never afford one. i will look into that. it would be worth it to have that extra year on the CPO, bc the one i want only has 1 yr left. it would be my daily driver as well, so im definately going to want the warranty on there haha. thanks again!! -anna
Old 02-03-2010, 04:50 PM

wow! you got a great deal!! i just searched 650's and they're all high 30's-40's!