Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
How to remove the rear cargo cover?

I'm having a bit of newbie difficulties with my X5, lol.... I need to pull off that rear cargo covering thing, but can't find a way to remove it. The thing just doesnt want to pop off... any ideas? It's hindering my already limited cargo capacity
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2003, 03:52 AM
Astigmatic Visionary

Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
It's easy to see with my Sand interior,a little harder with your black.Inside the track of the liftout piece behind the seat there is a tab towards the back of it just ahead of an allen bolt that you need to feel for and slide forward 1/4" to release this part to pivot up and out from the rear,once you get these small pieces of the track out you can lift the cover out with ease.Snaps right back in.Once you know the trick it is easy,not obvious at first look though,
Old 08-19-2003, 09:16 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraRZ
I'm having a bit of newbie difficulties with my X5, lol.... I need to pull off that rear cargo covering thing, but can't find a way to remove it. The thing just doesnt want to pop off... any ideas? It's hindering my already limited cargo capacity
I removed mine (permanently!) and have not found the need for the cover. There's a way of replacing the track cover "thingies" without replacing the cover - if you're interested, let me know and I will try to figure out how I did it - it's been almost 3 years since I did it.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 08-19-2003, 10:36 PM
MILF Hunter

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
Just push the cover as far back as possible. It'll still need that one extra push at the end and then push from the bottom up. It'll pop the cover off and the big square blocks that is at the end of the track.

Pretty simple once u realize your not going to break the whole thing.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
Finally, that was dumb of me. I didn't notice the notches in the pop out panel, no tools required either. I also got done pulling the front license plate off, and added an alpine CD changer. I'll probably leave the tracks as is, because the car is a lease.

Now I have to try to figure out how ordinary rain water became hard water stains, and why clay bar cannot get it off.

Thanks

Peter
Old 08-21-2003, 03:42 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown
I removed mine (permanently!) and have not found the need for the cover. There's a way of replacing the track cover "thingies" without replacing the cover - if you're interested, let me know and I will try to figure out how I did it - it's been almost 3 years since I did it.
Alright, I'll bite - how'd you do it? Did you have to take apart the cover to do it? Would it be permanent? I took the cover out the first day and it's pretty much permanently parked in the hall closet. It would look better without those teeth showing.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 08-22-2003, 08:58 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzer
Alright, I'll bite - how'd you do it? Did you have to take apart the cover to do it? Would it be permanent? I took the cover out the first day and it's pretty much permanently parked in the hall closet. It would look better without those teeth showing.
Pretty easy:

1. Fold the rear seats down to give access to the cover (you will have to re-insert your cover that you removed)
2. Push the entire cover back towards the rear hatch - this gets it off the cover blocks
3. You will now see a little black lever in the track area of the block
4. Pull the lever forward and at the same time, lift the block off - do this to both blocks
5. Now push the entire cover towards the front and remove from the track
6. Replace the blocks - just push the black catch on the block while resitting the block.
7. Replacing the cover is a simple reversal of the above.

I find I have more cargo space without the cover. I carry a moving blanket (from Costco) which I use to cover things in the cargo area, use as a picnic blanket, etc.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 08-23-2003, 05:31 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
Thanks! I'm off to the garage to try your method.

I've got the rear climate package so my back windows are tinted - I'm not too worry about people seeing the stuff back there. On a vaguely related note, this morning while at the dealer to have them look at my husband's squeaky moonroof in the 330i, I saw a great looking rubber mat for the back of the X5. It has a lip that runs around it that looks like it would catch spills, and it was nice and flexible, not hard plastic. Cost $60, but it was too big to carry back in the the 3-er (husband says X5 is for stuff, 330 is for people only ).

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 08-23-2003, 10:06 PM
MILF Hunter

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
On another note, I found that ripping the ski bag out allowed for a much more usable passageway between the back and front. Now I can rest fishing poles and lumbar through the seat.

Tooks some poking around, the ski bag is held in place by four plastic tabs which create a friction fit. U pull on the bag from the trunk and the tabs will pop out along with the tabs. Then u just need to remove a bolt to get rid of the belt for the bag and your done.