BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Changing mechanical tensioner to hydraulic

27K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  DEADF15H 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Looking for a DIY to change from mechanical to hydraulic tensioner. Surfed the forum found a lot of discussion just not the DIY, if you have seen it could you send out to me. Thanks again.
2003 325i

#3 · (Edited)
As far as I remember, there is a SIB for mechanical to hydraulic replacement process. I'll try to look for it for you. However, you do not need really need it. There are plenty DIYs for mechanical tensioner replacement, use them as a starting point. The realoem.com has diagrams for both mechanical and hydraulic tensioner. I believe with hydraulic one comes the conversion kit (or may be you need to buy it sepatately, i do not remember for sure). Then, it's pretty much a direct swap. I'll try to locate the SIB for you. I know I saw it somewhere!

#4 · (Edited)
#7 ·
You are the best, I can recombinate DNA, but without a method I am lost. Thanks again, When I viewed it was you, I knew things were looking up. Your info is always smooth.

oceano
You are welcome, my friend! I did it before, so I had some info in my bookmarks :thumbup:

#8 · (Edited)
I was going to do the same(just for the main tensioner not the A/C tensioner) when I was doing the cooling system overhaul. But then realized that hydraulic conversion will cost about twice as much with the upgrade kit (buying the hydraulic tensioner only won't do it). Then I would have one hydraulic and one mechanical tensioner in there. Then I read a few thread about how some of the units fail prematurely(not trying to say this is a common case). There was one guy he switched from hydraulic to mechanical just to get rid of the headache. Then knowing that a mechanical tensioner lasts for a good 50k miles and I will most likely be driving something else by then made me want to spend 50 bucks only and keep the other 50 in my pocket. I bought another mechanical tensioner and replaced the original one as a preventative maintenance at 60k miles. And the original one didn't have any issue when I replaced it.
But after replacing the mechanical tensioner, my idler pulley failed miserably giving me a terrible squeal every freaking day. So you might want to replace that too if you have over 50k on it... It is a cheap part and one bolt holds it. Actually while replacing your tensioner (with mechanical or hydraulic) that idler pulley needs to come out anyways...

#9 ·
I recently found out that my tensioner was making noises and needed replacement. I looked at autohausaz.com and the price for a mechanical tensioner is $48, and as many of you know, you have to replace the whole assembly and not just the pulley.

I decided to go with the hydraulic one for $64.55, and the kit $28.48, because in the future I would only need to replace the pulley, hydraulic ones are better, and BMW has discontinued the mechanical one, that's a $48 difference, but if I had the hydraulic one I would have to pay $15 for the pulley alone, rather than $48 for the whole assembly.

#10 ·
I replaced my mechanical tensioner for another mechanical (preventatively) and at the same time did the idler pulley (which was squeaking), AC tensioner and belts. Next time I need a tensioner the mechanical one will probably be unavailable at all, so I'll have to put in the hydraulic one.

#11 ·
Tisher is great as usual. They put together this new kit for $290:

OEM BMW E46 Belts/Tensioners Replacement Kit. Kit includes both alternator and a/c belts, pulleys, and tensioners (includes a hydraulic alt. tensioner). For vehicles that have a mechanical alt. tensioner setup, the coversion kit includes all parts necessary to retrofit the hydraulic setup. Fits all E46 3 Series vehicles except M3's. *Price includes Free Ground Shipping! (US only).

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=846253&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462&tab=1

P.S No, I do not work for them.

#18 ·
Schaeffler Automotive Aftermarket ***9474; Online Catalogue, Product_ Repair Kit, v-ribbed b

I am in Australia, and one of the online provider (https://clickableautomotive.com.au) provided me the below conversion Kit. I have attached the drawings from parent company. I can also post the actual photos of kit next week if someone require (Doesn't have access to my camera right now):)

Attachments

#19 ·
I am in Australia, and one of the online provider (https://clickableautomotive.com.au) provided me the below conversion Kit. I have attached the drawings from parent company. I can also post the actual photos of kit next week if someone require (Doesn't have access to my camera right now):)
Thanks for the post, this clears up some questions I had, especially the 2nd PDF!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.