Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 01-25-2010, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 740il
Question Catalytic converter issues

I have a 1995 BMW 740il, american spec. I am station in south korea. I replace the converter with after market ones, plus new oxygen sensors. I assume they would be o.k. I see them on every online part store. about two month, both converters when bad. I thought maybe I had a bad brand, so I order two more of a different brand. Now they are starting to raddle and my car has lost power. This is the second time I had to replace cats less than a year. Do you have any clue on what could be causing the cats to continue to go bad? I am ordering new converter plus oxygen sensors, but not sure on where the problem really is. CAN YOU HELP?
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
Try the Magnaflow sports cats. They are supposedly durable where the standard ones are not. I seem to remember that California "certified" ones are supposed t6o be more durable also.
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 02-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to m5james Send a message via MSN to m5james Send a message via Yahoo to m5james
Mein Auto: 98 740iL - Tweaked a bit
I've got Magnaflow cats on mine w/o a single issue. There installation is critical as they can't be moved too far forwards or backwards from the original locations where the stock ones were mounted or else you'll get "cat efficiency" codes.

325hp 98 740iL, black/black - Eatin 540's & $hittin 318's
PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd conv., Iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated pistons, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminum heatshield, Magnaflow 14816'd
INTERIOR:
Hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D, silver trim, 5% tint
EXTERIOR:19" Beyern Mesh staggered, Shadowline kidneys, Axxis pads
01 X5 4.4 - F90BT, L5