Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750LI
How to keep a black car scratchless

Hey guys,

Any suggestions on how to keep a black car scratch less after a car wash?

I have a 750LI in black metallic sapphire that I got a month ago, I have had the car hand washed twice now. When I look up close there are fine scratches on the paint. I know I will have to get it detailed.

The question for you guys is, what is the best car wash method and wax or polish product that will minimize these gremlins after each wash.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 02-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 750i, x5 4.6is, E46 M3
I used two buckets method and a foam gun..
Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedJes View Post
Hey guys,

I have a 750LI in black metallic sapphire that I got a month ago, I have had the car hand washed twice now. When I look up close there are fine scratches on the paint. I know I will have to get it detailed.

The question for you guys is, what is the best car wash method and wax or polish product that will minimize these gremlins after each wash.

Thanks
The less you touch it the less scratches you get. Two bucket method and I blow dry mine. I also use Zaino products.

http://www.zainostore.com/

dj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaf Blower.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	217774  
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 02-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Don't touch it with anything. Seriously.

Microscratches are inevitable with black, but you can minimize them.

Two bucket method both with grit guards in them and a grout sponge ($2.50 at home depot), yes, it is the best tool you will ever use. It releases dirt very easily and will not scratch the surface. Dip the sponge in the clean water after every small section of car, 2x2 foot max.

Dry with waffle weave towel after you have washed the towel once or twice, otherwise it won't absorb sheet.

Zaino products are good but they are concealers and do not take the scratches out. If you want to do that you need a porter cable xp polisher, meguiar's 105 polish and an orange lake country pad.

You can use a california water blade but you have to be good with it, wiping it with your clean fingers after ever pass and making absolutely sure you cleaned the car well.

The Only 745i to Consider
Old 02-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750 Li
I have had more black cars then one would ever want.

My suggestion is: GIVE UP.

Seriously, it is a very tough job but certainly the suggestions being given here in this thread are good ones.

2010 750 Li |Citrin Black|Amaro Brown Leather|IndividualComposition|Piano Black Wood Trim|

2012 MB Designo S 550
Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
The less you touch it the less scratches you get. Two bucket method and I blow dry mine. I also use Zaino products.

http://www.zainostore.com/

dj
2 bucket method...what is that?..I live in an apartment complex on the east coast and do not have the luxury of a self wash area. Totally dependent on commercial car washes

I reviewed the Maguiar's website and found a few tips. Will start with the Swirl X. The video demo looks great. Anyone have experience with Maguiar products?

Z
Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
Don't touch it with anything. Seriously.

Microscratches are inevitable with black, but you can minimize them.

Two bucket method both with grit guards in them and a grout sponge ($2.50 at home depot), yes, it is the best tool you will ever use. It releases dirt very easily and will not scratch the surface. Dip the sponge in the clean water after every small section of car, 2x2 foot max.

Dry with waffle weave towel after you have washed the towel once or twice, otherwise it won't absorb sheet.

Zaino products are good but they are concealers and do not take the scratches out. If you want to do that you need a porter cable xp polisher, meguiar's 105 polish and an orange lake country pad.

You can use a california water blade but you have to be good with it, wiping it with your clean fingers after ever pass and making absolutely sure you cleaned the car well.

Thank you all for your feedback..
Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Thank you all for your feedback..
http://www.webridestv.com/showvideo.aspx?video=43655

Watch that. Some of his actions are a little exaggerated like the being careful over graphics and crap but the general idea is there.

The most crucial part to washing your car is rinsing it before you put mit/sponge to car, making sure to rinse off all the loose dirt and stuff.

Talk to Got_Leather in the Detailing forum, PM him and ask him for advice, he's very smart and can hook you up with some detailing products.

The Only 745i to Consider

Last edited by BmW745On19's; 02-09-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Mein Auto: F02
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks
I've got something better for you. Mr. Clean AutoDry Pro-Series Car Wash Kit. Best damn car washing gift i've ever gotten. Don't buy the cheap $19.99 Mr. Clean AutoDry from Walmart, Home Depot and those areas because they don't last (i went thru 3 of those in a month due to leaks until i found the pro series kit). Search online for the Mr. Clean AutoDry Pro-Series Car Wash Kit which is somewhere around $29.99. You can search on ebay and find a better deal as well.

It's a very simple 4 step process:

1) Rinse the car
2) Wash it with Mr. Clean AutoDry soap and scrubbing mit.
3) Rinse the car
4) Insert Mr Clean AutoDry filter and rinse the car again.

Now sit back and watch your car dry spot-free, lint-free, no hand drying. It's magical and you'll think you just wax the car.
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaseaban View Post
I've got something better for you. Mr. Clean AutoDry Pro-Series Car Wash Kit. Best damn car washing gift i've ever gotten. Don't buy the cheap $19.99 Mr. Clean AutoDry from Walmart, Home Depot and those areas because they don't last (i went thru 3 of those in a month due to leaks until i found the pro series kit). Search online for the Mr. Clean AutoDry Pro-Series Car Wash Kit which is somewhere around $29.99. You can search on ebay and find a better deal as well.

It's a very simple 4 step process:

1) Rinse the car
2) Wash it with Mr. Clean AutoDry soap and scrubbing mit.
3) Rinse the car
4) Insert Mr Clean AutoDry filter and rinse the car again.

Now sit back and watch your car dry spot-free, lint-free, no hand drying. It's magical and you'll think you just wax the car.
I use these. De-ionized water filter and blow dry with the leaf blower to get the water out of the places it collects (behind the license plate, mirrors, cracks and crevices).

dj
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leaf Blower.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	217829   Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra filter.gif
Views:	94
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	217830  
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
I use these. De-ionized water filter and blow dry with the leaf blower to get the water out of the places it collects (behind the license plate, mirrors, cracks and crevices).

dj
I guess I need to either move to a house with a garage or get a 1000 ft hose pipe.

I think I am going to make a business prop to my car wash, niche wash for black cars. I would happily pay double for piece of mind...may be he will split the difference with me..

wadda ya fink???
Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 B7 LWB Xdrive
My suggestion

I gave up on black for my everyday cars for this reason, but have had several black cars for everyday drivers and still have some black garage cars for weekend toys.
Here is my suggestion
i realize that many people will give you detailing advice that may not be practical for everyday real life
What you can do is
Rule 1 never wipe your car dry with any cloth after you are done washing and drying , so if a few hours after you wash your car or the next morning it has a layer of dust. Leave it ALONE , if it bothers you alot spray it down with a hose, no soap and dry it off again. Never dry wipe
Rule 2 only hand car washes, if you wash yourself use a water blade and than a micro fiber towel to finish it off, re-chargeable leaf blowers are also great tools for rims and mirrors
Rule 3 and most important!!!!!! Every time you wash your car use a quick "detail mist" with a micro fiber cloth for your final wipe down. Maguire makes a good one, it's not a spray wax, it's a detail mist, Spray on and wipe off just after your finish drying or after you leave the hand car wash. It will take 5 minutes and it will eliminate allot of the black car swirls fine scratches and imperfections you see. It will also repel dust. You can also use it to spot clean any wheel kick up or bird droppings prior to your next car wash

Last edited by BW#4 B7; 02-10-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
+1 M6, This is my first black car and the paint is next to impossible to keep up, unless I don't drive it. The car's been repainted and actually has a few runs on bottom, I'm thinking of having that refinished, but may not be worth the cash, may just trade up or private sell to get another one, one day. Next 7, 5, 3, M3, M5 going to be silver or white, no exceptions, lol. Good advice guys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0210001508.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	217964   Click image for larger version

Name:	0210001510.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	217965  
76 280Z 2+2 RIP 325K

Last edited by haz1; 02-10-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW#4 B7 View Post
I gave up on black for my everyday cars for this reason, but have had several black cars for everyday drivers and still have some black garage cars for weekend toys.
Here is my suggestion
i realize that many people will give you detailing advice that may not be practical for everyday real life
What you can do is
Rule 1 never wipe your car dry with any cloth after you are done washing and drying , so if a few hours after you wash your car or the next morning it has a layer of dust. Leave it ALONE , if it bothers you alot spray it down with a hose, no soap and dry it off again. Never dry wipe
Rule 2 only hand car washes, if you wash yourself use a water blade and than a micro fiber towel to finish it off, re-chargeable leaf blowers are also great tools for rims and mirrors
Rule 3 and most important!!!!!! Every time you wash your car use a quick "detail mist" with a micro fiber cloth for your final wipe down. Maguire makes a good one, it's not a spray wax, it's a detail mist, Spray on and wipe off just after your finish drying or after you leave the hand car wash. It will take 5 minutes and it will eliminate allot of the black car swirls fine scratches and imperfections you see. It will also repel dust. You can also use it to spot clean any wheel kick up or bird droppings prior to your next car wash

Thanks for your input and good luck with the Alpina...remember to post pics..
Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 PM
G Trues

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750Li
stay away from machine washes