Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 740iL
95 740i - Electrical issues - grounding straps

Hi,

I have a 1995 740iL with 252K miles and am starting to have issues with a slight oil leak and starting the car. I installed a new battery with a full charge and something is draining the battery overnight.

I need advice on what might be draining the battery. Also, where are the grouding straps located on the E38 - 1995 740iL?

Thank you
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: '95 740il
I had the same issue. It should be the alternator. i went to Autozone originally and did a load test, they said it was fine, by then I was on my second battery. For a couple hundred bucks you can get a used/reman. installed (150 total is what i paid). The oil leak might just be the pump coming loose, next time you get an oil change have them tighten the bolts on the oil pump (I guess it's all right there when they change the oil). Good luck!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:49 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
grounding straps should be the negative lead for the battery. as for the drain on the battery, a ground doesn't do this directly. you have what is called a draw.

in order to locate the draw, you must first be able to measure the amperage flowing with everything off. there will be a slight draw for some things, but this will be minimal, and has been designed for things like your memory settings, alarms, and such. i believe some manufacturers call this 'keep alive' memory.

you can isolate the circuit by measuring the amp draw while removing fuses one at a time. any major drop would indicate the circuit that is requesting the most load.

if you are not familiar with electrical theory, or have the tools to check this, i would suggest a specialty shop in your area. a lot of mechanics are intimidated by the electrical system of a 7, and even fewer understand it.

as for the oil leak, that can be checked once the electrical gremlins have been isolated and repaired. no sense fixing the leaks first if you need an entire wiring harness that will cost more than the car is worth to repair.

good luck with this.

df