Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to cager169
Mein Auto: 2000 bmw Z3, 1999 bmw 528
1989 535i help please

hey guys i haven't posted here in a while since my car build/restoration, but now the e34 is having a huge problem when i try to start it it takes a while like 4 seconds of cranking and when it finally turns on i feel misfires at idle but not while it is running. When on the road the car performs great but i do feel a little loss in power though but still runs fine. it's just in the starts and when on idle I'm thinking CPS if this car has one. Also since i got it back from my dad the car smokes when at idle or at a light, it is white smoke like vapor i don't know if these problems are related could it be the cats or a headgasket? I will start the trouble shooting this weekend when we get clear weather but i just wanted to hear from you guys in case this has hapenned before. PS i am never lending this car to my father again
Old 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM

ok guys well we finally got some nice weather around here and i began to check for the CPS. Turns out that it was full of oil it was like crusty already from all the years that no one had touched it, i also blame myself for not looking into it when i installed a new ac compressor . I went ahead and did a little research on why there was so much oil on that part of the M30 engine, and it turns out that the bracket for the CPS uses 2 bolts. One of them goes through the front cover plate and over time becomes loose and lets oil through. I went ahead and cleaned the area and tighten the bolt. I cleaned the sensor with a small knife to see if it had any change and cranking still takes a while but the idle improved by 10000000% . Now i know for sure that sensor is a must change along with new engine mounts. now what i will try to figure out is that white smoke/vapor coming out of the exhaust. any ideas?
Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Glad you got it partially fixed. I would not have guessed the solution.

As for the white smoke, I have read about the newer cars (E39) primarily having a problem with the CCV. Don't know if your car has one or not. It could also possibly be a blown head gasket..... man, I sure hope it's not though. Check the oil to see if it is milky looking, check to see if you have any oil in the antifreeze and do a compression check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 PM

i wish the car was partially fixed it just improved idle by alot, i mean before this the car felt like it was on it's last leg seriously but after i scraped the gunk off the sensor it improved therefore i know or i hope that next week when the new CPS sensor comes in it will help solve this problem. as for the CCV the m30 doesn't have one it might have a vent hose but i doubt it has a ccv. my roadster had this problem and it suddenly smoked because it was burning the oil the ccv was seeping into the intake......$40 later and 30 minutes it was fixed i wish it was something this easy on the m30..it might be i hope. tomorrow i'm going to do a compression test and check for the other ovious symptoms like gunk in the oil and such see what i find.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Humble E34 lover

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-13-2010, 11:25 PM
I <3 my E34

Send a message via Skype™ to BmwMan92
Mein Auto: 1985 318i// 1988 325e
ok i think you can do the head gasket yourself as long as have the top end rebuild kit and you know what your doing im doing mine in my jetta right now if you confirm your blown headgasket take the head to see if it is warped or cracked if not get it machined if so get a new head unless its new get it machined to make it flat. find out what the torque is supposed to be on the head and in what sequence and put that all together and that should take care of the gasket if you dont know timing someone will and should be able to do it pretty cheap ive had it done for 35 bucks then the rest should be easy with a manual am i missing something i feel like i am someone correct me

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bimmer View Post
I just dont see any other logical way around this problem.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 AM

yeah guys it's the headgasket my dad confessed to the car getting hot crossing from mexico to the US (LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG Lines) and he didn't turn it off until he crossed the uphill. well i'm just going to pull the motor out and fix it on a stand. So while at it what do you guys recommend? Porting head or angled valve job for performance? I mean since the engine will be pulled out. How capable is the M30 to get any more power than it already has I love this car and it will be some easy 2-3 months b4 it gets back on the road due to short on money... (the e39's steering rack just gave out and i need that car for my baby). So let me know guys i'm not looking for a sleeper just making the engine better since it will already be out What a way to start the year 2 cars down already
Old 02-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Humble E34 lover

Man, I am sorry to hear it's the HG. Good luck with the DIY repair. Take pics and update us as you go.

PS: Hope your dad will help with financing your repair. Seems to be the least he could do.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I <3 my E34

Send a message via Skype™ to BmwMan92
Mein Auto: 1985 318i// 1988 325e
yeah im sorry man that sucks id say get some good cams id do some cams and chip and intake and have a bit of power not to much

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bimmer View Post
I just dont see any other logical way around this problem.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Ok guys i seriously need to fix this car PRONTO today my brother called me and told me he had a present for me.........he got a "barn find" for $350 on some wheels and woa was i surprized when i got to my dad's house to find what kind of wheels he bought me Original Hamann HM2 19" staggered wheels. they are a little rough but i will get them cleaned up and redone and i will have original hamann wheels I have to love my brother today....and of course guys i had to test fit one to see how it will look after all

Old 02-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Humble E34 lover

I think those are going to look sweet. Take a pic once you get them on.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Last edited by BMR_LVR; 02-20-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:34 PM

you know it i started stripping one of the rear wheels today and boy is it looking nice i'm excited to get them all cleaned and pilished
Old 03-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cager169 View Post
yeah guys it's the headgasket...i'm just going to pull the motor out and fix it on a stand.
To the OP:
What was the final outcome?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to do some research to find answers to the blown engine dilemma for this thread:
- What advice should we provide when a newbie asks for help with a blown E39 engine?

Maybe you can add your real-world advice to that thread for others to benefit from?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Wheels are nice but...

They won't do diddly on a car with no motor.

It's gonna cost $1000 minimum to fix your M30's head gasket. That's just parts alone. Wether you send out the head for reconditioning, or get a good one from an Auto Recycler will be the lion share of that cost. Inspect things thoroughly and do it by the book, lest you set up the engine and your self for future problems.

It'll be either the #6 or #5 cylinder that's the main culprit. Coolant has to pass by the other 4 cylinders before it reaches them. When things get hot, they'll be the hottest by default. Get your head gasket kit from Pelican. Got my kit from VAC motorsport...Pelican had the same darn kit for $200 less.

Replace your radiator. It's lower 2-3 cores will be plugged with goop and random junk and the end tanks will be structurally compromised from thermal and pressure overload. Take apart your heater control valve and auxiliary heater pump. It'll be plugged with crap, if not full of head gasket chunks. Take an old heater hose and connect it to the heater core outlet standpipe (the larger of the three). Hold the hose high and pour fresh water down in there to back flush the heater core. Use plenty of water. Then buy some Evan's prep fluid and pour that down in there until you see the water/glycol slurry come out both inlet stand pipes. When it comes time to button it all back up, replace all your old coolant hoses with ones purchased from the dealer. They'll cost a small fortune, but they're the only ones guaranteed to fit correctly and are far superior to ANY aftermarket hose I've seen. The ones I got from BAS left quite a bit to be desired in terms of fit. Pelican sells the same as BAS. One of them even leaked right off the bat from being molded improperly. Fill it up with Evan's NPG+ or NPG-R and you'll never have to worry about overheating problems again.

You can't just fix the engine...you have to fix the issues that cause the head gasket failure, a weak cooling system by design.

Last edited by Radian; 03-28-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: e34 535is
by the way the reason why your CPS was in oil and gunk all the time is because your front timing covers are leaking. Had the same problem.

90' 535is
Bilstein Sports
Vogtland Springs
Schrick 284 Cam
Full headwork
3.91 LSD