Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-25-2003, 07:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 3.0
Unhappy Problems after jump start on X5...

Hey guys, i own the '01 X5-3.0 and we went camping this weekend. I let the stereo in my car run a little longer than i should and i couldn't start the car the next morning. Friend of mine help me jumped the car but after that few things aren't the same:

1. the back light that lights up the digital part of the instrument control is out, i still can see a little but not when it's dark.
2. the fuel gauge stays on empty (no reserve light on)
3. the RPM gauge stays on 0 at all times
4. the entire system changed the lanugage to spanish and temperatures are in Celcius (i got Nav and tried going to configuration and changing it back but it my changes are not affecting anything)

the speedometer works fine, the MPG gauge (below RPM gauge), and Temp gauge too.

we came back last night and didnt have time to check the fuses but i will do it today, i just thought i would ask if anybody knows if this is serious or just fried fuse.

worried,
wojo.
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Are you sure you didn't jump it in reverse (his positive to your negative)?
Old 08-25-2003, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
Are you sure you didn't jump it in reverse (his positive to your negative)?
i'm 100% positive, i did it myself as i was worried they might do something like that.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Why can't we get Diesels?

Mein Auto: V70R, JGC, MCS
My old Benz (1990) showed the same symptoms from a fried fuse. I hope that's what it is. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:59 AM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
Perhaps it needs to be rebooted. Disconnect power for an hour and the computers will forget the low voltage condition?
'98 740i
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 08-25-2003, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
The battery in my fathers 2002 3.0 X5 was dead both times we went to test drive it (FI Mgrs former demo). Everything went nuts when they jumped it off. A/C didn't work, fuel gauge was on reserve, every light was lit up in the cluster, etc, and etc. Apparently after awhile everything resets. They ended up putting a new BMW Battery is his and that was the end to everything.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330ci
I had to have BMW Roadside assistance jump start my 330ci a few weeks ago. They jumped it and then told me to turn on the lights and the hazards before we disconnected the wires (something I'd never done before when jumping my older cars). He said the reason for doing this was because he had experienced BMWs in the past having a power surge or short when the jumper cables were removed that fried some of the fuses in the car, so turning on all the lights would help dissapate all the power if there was a surge. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but that's what he told me. Hopefully it's not a serious problem, good luck with it.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:46 PM

thanks guys for your suggestions
i came back home and went through all the fuses but couldn't find the burned one, amazingly after that i put the key in and started the car and everything was back to normal :/ weird...

anyhow, everything is back to normal and i love my car again

thanks again.
wojo
Old 08-25-2003, 10:12 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta330ci
I had to have BMW Roadside assistance jump start my 330ci a few weeks ago. They jumped it and then told me to turn on the lights and the hazards before we disconnected the wires (something I'd never done before when jumping my older cars). He said the reason for doing this was because he had experienced BMWs in the past having a power surge or short when the jumper cables were removed that fried some of the fuses in the car, so turning on all the lights would help dissapate all the power if there was a surge. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but that's what he told me. Hopefully it's not a serious problem, good luck with it.
The manual for the X5 states to turn on the rear window defroster and set the blower to highest level before disconnecting, to minimize any power surge. The manual for the 325i does not state the same precaution - it's possible the X5 battery has a higher amperage.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 08-26-2003, 07:43 AM
X-Rated Cannuck

Mein Auto: none
What real men ever read the manual ?!?!?!?!?
Old 08-26-2003, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown
The manual for the X5 states to turn on the rear window defroster and set the blower to highest level before disconnecting, to minimize any power surge. The manual for the 325i does not state the same precaution - it's possible the X5 battery has a higher amperage.
Actually, my 2K 323i manual does say that.