Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Stock subs suck!

blatenly, the subs in my 7 suck. not having luck finding 8 ohm woofers that are even close the the size they are. so i've seen a few installs with a sub box mounted to the underside of the rear deck. looks nice and i think i may have to go that route. i'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow and see what they can do for me. if they arent too highly priced, then i may go ahead and get a custom fit unit installed.

i just dont understand the reason for 8 ohm speakers, what the hell were they thinking? they are difficult to source and the size i need is inpractical for the sound i want. i guess i'm just going to have to get something made to fit for larger subs. i found a kit from BSW, but i'd be afraid it would lack the power i want.

anyways, i guess let me see what you guys have done to your 7's as far as subs go.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2009, 01:00 AM

maybe i should bust out the band saw and make my own setup. there wont be any bs involved in getting it done. i should just make a fitted enclosure myself. wiring shouldnt be a problem. the premade enclosures looks very simple and easy to fab up. why not go the extra step and make it myself. i think i might. then i'll be able to put in exactly what i want. i thought about what i'll save doing it myself since i have the tools to do so.

*Der E38*
Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 AM

Mein Auto: 96 540i silver
??keep us posted

currently own
03/97 540i light grey(UK spec)
08/96 540i light grey(UK spec)
Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
The Carologist

Mein Auto: '01 740i sport / '02 STS
hello

on a different track...where do you work...are you able to get parts for the 7's ?
' 01 E38 Titanium Silver/Black,Spt Pkg,Cold Climate Pkg,Sunshades,16:9 Navi Mods:Chrome ///M Pars,///M Alum Pedal Set,Chrome Gauge Ring Set,Vavona & Lth Shifter, Latest Update Navi Disc(s),Llumar 85%,"Euro" Quad Brake Lights,Upgraded Navi V27, "Stealth" Wipers, 10/2000 Build
' 02 STS XM Radio/Suspension pkg/Crimson Pearl w/Shale/Llumar 85%
' 94 Regal Custom Sport/Full Gauges/Sport Buckets w/Console/10 disc/Spt susp(FE3)/3800 V6/Gold w/Beige Lth/Llumar 85%
BMWCCA #386502
Old 07-22-2009, 01:10 AM

some parts, like suspension parts and steering parts i'm able to get. i can source some of the harder to find parts.

as for the system i want to put in, its going to be nearly $2000 for a shop to do it. this is a place that does custom installs for mainly high end customers. they would be using JL audio subs, amps and other various items. we came out with a space saving design. the subs being mounted behind the rear seats, set in somewhat of a shallow enclosure. and would be ported up through the rear deck. imagine an enclosure in the shape of a 7. i still want a little bit of trunk space for luggage and other large items. this is a shop that specifically does this type of work and has done systems in my friends G500 and H2. he had complete componenet systems. i may go with a fully upgraded system. but just subs for now.

going for a clean seamless install. i still think i'm fully capable of build the enclosure myself. just need the MDF sheets, wiring, subs, amps and processor. and of course some mounting hardwear. it would just be easier to let the shop do it though.

*Der E38*

Last edited by CodyItaliano; 07-22-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 PM
2001 740il Sport, RIP

Mein Auto: 2006 750i Sport, '14 GTR
You may want to consider getting an empty rear parcel box from bsw (www.bsw.com i think..or google it)..they make a box that mounts in the trunk under the rear shelf..you can buy it unloaded (without sub)..i would've bought one, but i run L5 kicker square subs and didn't want to cut the box.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM

i may do that actually, its going to be a lot cheaper than getting my 7 shaped box made. i still may go fourth and make one, or have it made if i decide to dump 2g's. i dunno about that though, 2 grand is a lot for a system, imo. but thats being done by someone else of course. wouldnt spend that much on the parts if i do it myself.

i may just go the easy route and go with an unloaded box from bsw then. i wonder if the door speaker upgrade kit they have is worth it? they call it a stage 1 kit, might be worth while.

*Der E38*
Old 07-26-2009, 08:05 PM
2001 740il Sport, RIP

Mein Auto: 2006 750i Sport, '14 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyItaliano View Post
i may do that actually, its going to be a lot cheaper than getting my 7 shaped box made. i still may go fourth and make one, or have it made if i decide to dump 2g's. i dunno about that though, 2 grand is a lot for a system, imo. but thats being done by someone else of course. wouldnt spend that much on the parts if i do it myself.

i may just go the easy route and go with an unloaded box from bsw then. i wonder if the door speaker upgrade kit they have is worth it? they call it a stage 1 kit, might be worth while.
i don't know much about thier speakers, but you can buy the components separately and perhaps save money..i replaced my rear door speakers last month with kicker ds5250's (don't quote me on that) for 30$ on ebay..even though the factory amp is still pushing them, they are much clearer than the stock ones...of course i actually think once you disconnect the dsp subs and add your own, you'll notice the factory speakers sound much better.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 AM

well here's what i went ahead and did. i had two 8 ohm 75 watt 12 inch subs. i bought a ported box that fit pretty much perfect in my trunk and didnt take up too much room. tonight i removed the stock sub box, if you can even call it that. what a joke that was.

anyways, stock subs were small. dunno the size, like 5 1/4 inch or so. they were 8 ohm 65 watt ones. so even though the larger subs are slightly more powerful, they are of the same ohm impedence. so far, they work perfect. i had them in different boxes before. had them in there a little while now. i'm running them off the stock amp. hopefully that will last. if not i've got some spare amps, but are 4 ohm so i'd have to get different subs.

they sound clean and not super loud, you can actually hear the music clearly. everyone that has heard it has been impressed with that i came up with. works for me.

*Der E38*