Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-17-2010, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325i
Car violently shakes on startup, but settles..eventually

I tried searching. All the results of a car shaking are during a driving scenario, but not on startup.

On a rare occassion, my car shakes violently when I start the car. This morning in Los Angeles, where the weather is typically warm, I started my car. Immediately the car shook like it was 7.0 earthquake. It shook like this for a good minute. It felt like someone was outside trying to lift the car. It was very violent. Lots of smoke coming from the exhaust. It was gray smoke and it had a foul smell not like a skunk though. I just let it run and eventually the problem goes away.

This happened before. I startted the car in the am. to move it 10 feet. Later that evening about 7 hours later, I started it again. This time it shook heavy with the same gray smoke coming out of the tail pipe. The only common denominator is car engine is cold.

My car has 77K miles. It is a 2002 BMW 325i. It runs perfectly otherwise. Idle is great, runs great with no other symptoms. This is my daily driver and is driven on freeways frequently.

Thoughts anyone?

Many thanks.
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2010, 08:13 AM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
I would have the car scanned for codes. My guesses are the CVV, MAF and spark plugs.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Pull the plugs after the car has sat all night. I`m betting you`ll find some oily deposits on them, probably indicating the need for a CVV replacement.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
I agree with the above opinions, sounds like you are gonna get the BMW ccv reaming.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci coupe auto
Just by reading your thread title I instantly thought CVV...
Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330cic
Oh goodness! This just happened to my car for the first time last week, but it hasn't happened since. Ariel B, what happened or what did you find out? And what is a CVV? Is it costly and expensive to do? Is there a DIY to it?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybimmer10 View Post
Oh goodness! This just happened to my car for the first time last week, but it hasn't happened since. Ariel B, what happened or what did you find out? And what is a CVV? Is it costly and expensive to do? Is there a DIY to it?
It's in the WIKI, please search it. DIY, heh, look for the DIY on the main e46 page
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 AM

Many thanks to all of you. I am so grateful for your time and expertise.

This morning the car started as normal with nothing out of the ordinary. It is garaged parked. Same great weather, not cold or too humid. The car idle was perfect and it warmed up nicely. No excessive smoke out of the tail pipe unlike when I get the problem of violently shakes which is rare, but scares me badly.

About two months ago, I did the CVV replacement. There were some great writeups out there in the wiki. Changing the CVV aka oil separator valve wasn't too difficult of a task, but I do have years of mechanical experience. For those who haven't done it yet, view the wiki page and search for cvv. I followed the Lbert write up. I just read the first post and went to work. If you want the parts list I ordered, PM me. I purchased my parts from RMEuropean.com for about $170. Parts arrived next day with normal shipping fees. Since the cvv change, the car is running fine..same as always. Nothing different really, except the first few time I took the car out for a drive, the idle was a bit high.

Again, I was surprised the violent shakes still occurred after doing the CVV work. I don't know what else it could be. Again car runs perfect as I can tell otherwise.

From what I learned from this post, here is what I will do.
Hook up my code reader tonight to see if there is an error. My check engine light is NOT on. In fact, I have never seen it lit.

Do I still need to pull the plugs to see if there is oil on em?
MAF possiblity as SolidJake mentioned?
Oh, I use Mobil super unleaded gas religiously. Not sure if this matters

thoughts, ideas? Many many thanks...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
This should have been an eliminating process starting with the smallest neglected maintenance parts to the greatest. Your starting point should have not been the CVV. If these had not been changed lately, you should have started with air filter, sparks plugs, valve cover gasket, fuel filter, then CVV. Also it's good to check the intake boot for cracks.

The items I listed are normal maintenance items.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=AlboBMW;4949310]If these had not been changed lately, you should have started with air filter, sparks plugs, valve cover gasket, fuel filter, then CVV. Also it's good to check the intake boot for cracks. QUOTE]

Thank you Albo. The air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter are all fairly new. Valve cover is original. I will do a thorough inspection of intake boots and change out the valve cover gasket. It surprises me the valve cover can be a culprit since it only occurs on startup. This is easy enough to change out...many thanks

other thoughts? Love to hear em.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
I would have started with the valve cover since it is a fairly inexpensive and easy repair. Like Bob said, you might have some oil on your plugs due to VCG leaking. I had that problem too. I don't know how new, fairly new is, but the fuel filter can be clogged up way before it's "due"

good luck
Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
you should definitely replace the Valve Cover Gasket because it is in need of replacement. But I doubt that will fix your problem.
Definitely do check your spark plugs and see if they need replacement/if they have oil on them.
I replaced my spark plugs at 100k, then at 112k i replaced my VCG and my CCV.... the plugs had LOTS of oil on them and they need to replaced ASAP due to corrosion or something. My car has not-so-happy cold morning starts as well, but only if its really cold like 20 and below. I blame it on my sparks because I know they are ruined and I have had my VCG replaced, my CCV system replaced, my intake boots replaced, and my MAF is completely fine... my air filters have been replaced too... but not my fuel filter.

My cold morning starts are not AS bas as yours though... just some slight hiccups that lasts 10 secs. I woud check your intake boots as well... but check them thorouhgly because its hard to notice the cracks.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 E46 318i (AU SPEC)
Cylinder Coil Packs? ... think they call them?
... the problem you are describing .... is sorta like what I had ... felt like an eruption/earthquake in the car

In saying that ... these boys above ... sound like the know what they are on about
... I'm just a weekend warrior

Hope it helps!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This E39 intermittent cold-start shuddering thread discusses the same problem in detail.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 318 iSE N42 engine
well i had the exhaust emissions level have deteriorated on dashboard sign, and it is still on, similar symptoms, well just the one, rough at startup then fine after, no power loss or drop in mpg.s or smoke, so i dumped stp total fuel system cleaner in the gas and filled her up, problem gone, but dont know why the exhaust emissions level amber symbol won;t go off?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by omodos View Post
well i had the exhaust emissions level have deteriorated on dashboard sign, and it is still on, similar symptoms, well just the one, rough at startup then fine after, no power loss or drop in mpg.s or smoke, so i dumped stp total fuel system cleaner in the gas and filled her up, problem gone, but dont know why the exhaust emissions level amber symbol won;t go off?
Emissions related lights usually indicate a code in the memory. I doubt you solved the real problem. Have the code read and figure out what caused it, erase it, and try to solve your problem.