Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Putting the O in O face

Send a message via AIM to cali311soca
Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6sp
Shifting into 2nd gear loss of power?

I'll try to explain what is happening the best I can.

Going into 1st is no problem it shifts smooth, the car doesn't lurch or anything like that.

Now, once I shift into 2nd, no matter how many times I try doing something different, right when the clutch reaches the friction point, and I give it gas, the car jerks, slows down, and it feels like I just quickly let off the clutch even though I'm not. I've tried different things thinking maybe it was something I was doing wrong. I'd give it more gas at the friction point, I'd give it less, I'd try getting it to a specific RPM but still the same thing.

Going into 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th are all smooth with a constant increase in speed through the gears.

Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, but I just can't figure it out. I'm going to have a friend drive it soon to see if it happens to him. Any thoughts? I'm only under a limited powertrain warranty that the only thing it doesn't cover is the clutch so I'm hoping it's not that.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
How long have you had the car? Did this just start happening? Sounds like symptoms of a driver not used to the lock valve (aka Clutch Delay Valve).

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Putting the O in O face

I've had the car since Oct. It's had the same problem since then also. What is the Clutch Delay Valve?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
First to second in my BMW is, well, different from every other car I have driven. Even after I drive another MT for a week I will be back to being jerky in 1-2 gear until I mentally readjust.

If you are new to the car, likely your main problem is that when the clutch pedal is fully released, the clutch will not necessarily be at full lockup for a fraction of a second. I would practice by using the gas to hold the rpms at the desired next gear level when shifting a little longer than usual, rather than letting fully off the gas or trying to accelerate before full clutch lockup.

When shifting fast I have to let the clutch out *sooner* than a normal car, or else hold the rpms at the appropriate level a bit longer.

Your brain will quickly adjust though as you try different things. I am now silky smooth, but as I said, if I take a vacation and drive a friend's MT I will come back and be annoyingly jerky again for a day or two.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali311soca View Post
I've had the car since Oct. It's had the same problem since then also. What is the Clutch Delay Valve?
It delays clutch lockup for a fraction of a second to prevent drivetrain shock in the case of a big mismatch in speed of the engine and layshaft / rest of the transmission.

Watch the tach closely while you shift (when safe, of course). Watch how the needle bounces when you release the clutch and adjust how you let it fall while shifting accordingly (if bounces UP, don't let the rpms drop so much, and if bounces DOWN, slow down your shift or let off the gas more during the shift.)

This is all easier to explain in person -- if your friend is a skilled MT driver (ask him how double-clutching works) then he will be able to give you some solid advice. Good luck...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
EDIT: D'oh! I thought the OP had a 335.

Last edited by galahad05; 02-25-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Putting the O in O face

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
It delays clutch lockup for a fraction of a second to prevent drivetrain shock in the case of a big mismatch in speed of the engine and layshaft / rest of the transmission.

Watch the tach closely while you shift (when safe, of course). Watch how the needle bounces when you release the clutch and adjust how you let it fall while shifting accordingly (if bounces UP, don't let the rpms drop so much, and if bounces DOWN, slow down your shift or let off the gas more during the shift.)

This is all easier to explain in person -- if your friend is a skilled MT driver (ask him how double-clutching works) then he will be able to give you some solid advice. Good luck...
Thanks man, I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I drive home tonight. If they ever let us out of here. I'll post back tomorrow and let you know if it worked.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
The 1 to 2 shift is the hardest to get smooth. However, once you get it, you get it. I still can't get 1 to 2 smooth if I am really running the car hard, but then there are a lot of things factoring into that, mostly my desire to speed up every shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 02-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Putting the O in O face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
The 1 to 2 shift is the hardest to get smooth. However, once you get it, you get it. I still can't get 1 to 2 smooth if I am really running the car hard, but then there are a lot of things factoring into that, mostly my desire to speed up every shift.
That's good to know I'm not the only one. I just realized to get it smooth I have to shift into 2nd at a really low rpm. Pretty much after I get rolling in 1st I go to 2nd about 1,500. Congrats on the baby man, that's great news. I've been watching that countdown since the 2nd Trimester.

Thanks for the input too Nea. I guess if I get on it it's gonna be rough but if I'm taking my time I can get it smooth.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Just shift slower from 1st to 2nd.
Works for me, as does a slow clutch release.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Skxawng

Mein Auto: 335i E90 MT
If your shift is not smooth, do it slower, go back to 2,3,4 second shifts as if you just started learning to drive stick. People complain about CDV, but I only driven one other manual car for 3 month before getting this one and most of my shifts are silky smooth - easy to get used. Also your clutch may be worn out (you got an 06) and became sort of binary - try to revmatch better and allow an extra second for it to lockup. it's still driveable, but an indication that it has less than 30% life left.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:06 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali311soca View Post
That's good to know I'm not the only one. I just realized to get it smooth I have to shift into 2nd at a really low rpm. Pretty much after I get rolling in 1st I go to 2nd about 1,500.
Hm, my impression is that it's smoother for me when I shift at a higher rpm, like 3k or even past that. Not that I always do, but when I shift at lower rpms, the process seems longer, or the clutch has to be engaged for longer, or something like that.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
EDIT: D'oh! I thought the OP had a 335.
Doh. Me too. lol. Sorry.