Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 AM
stlbmw

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li/1999 528i
DIY - 02 745Li - Water pump replacement

For those that have a 7 series(02 745Li in my case), I have included some pics of the water pump and cooling system rebuild process. Aside from the fan clutch removing tools, the entire job was performed with basic hand tools and some logic and patience.
The bearing on the pump was trashed, the seal was gone and the movement due to the shot bearing caused alot of coolant leakage and wobbling.
-Once the engine cladding was removed, and the radiator cover removed, the access was good.
-Fan clutch bolt was next(special tool), Fan and clutch assembly will pull right out over the
shroud
-Followed by the shroud removal(1 Torx Screw)
-Next the tensioners were released to remove the 2 belts(AC to balancer belt and the
WP,PS, Alt belt)(T50 Torx socket)
-Harmonic Balancer Pulley was next to be removed(8 bolts..T45 Torx Socket)
- The 5 water pump bolts can then be removed and the pump extracted from the car
(bottom one is hard to reach unless the balancer pulley is removed)
-Along the way there is a few senosrs that must be unplugged and some radiator hoses to
be removed, but nothing too difficult.
- I opted to get the thermostat outlet assembly and bolted it to the water pump ( 10mm
bolts)
- Reassembly is the reverse of the disassembly

Wilson has done an excellent job is a prior post to generate step by step detailed instruction as to how to do the water pump also.
My intent was to provide additional information/pics to the already awesome job that Wilson did on his pump replaced DIY.

Thanks Wilson and Bimmerfest; you gave me the courage to tackle this project
on my own....and succeed.

I treated myself after the job. I got me a AFE Cold Air Intake to add to the 7.
Had to replace that restrictive air filter box. The CAI runs a dry filter. Besides the
cool appearance the CAI kit improves breathing capability, and is good for a 7-8 Hp increase. I fugured it was so easy to get to at the time of the waterpump job, I couldn't resist. I will post a DIY on a 7 series CAI installation soon.

stlbmw

2002 745Li

1999 528i
Advertisement
Closed Thread