Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i
Engine Sound Problem

Hey guys,

I noticed lately that the sound of the engine is unusual, it's kinda high, I don't think it was like that a couple of months ago. It might be coming from a worn out belt but I'm not sure.

anyone has an idea of what's going on with the car, or why the engine sound is high?

I was thinking about taking it to the dealer to see what's going on but I though I can ask her first.
Your help is very appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: '07 E92 330i Manual
Can you post a video to YouTube so that the members here can hear the sound? That will make it a lot easier.

Do you mean you have a high idle speed, or a high pitched noise that sounds distinct from the engine?

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system

Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 AM

The idle speed is good, but it sounds like a high pitched noise.

I think you're right; it's much easier with the vid; I'll work on it. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:34 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
from your description, it sounds like its your belts/pullies.

btw Ann Arbor is so freakin fun. I've been there twice to party and WOW mad hott chicks.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Here's the video : .

I tried to move around because I could hear the pitched noise clearly from the driver's side but it looks like that didn't work that well in the vid.

Please take a look and see if you can diagnose what's wrong with it and how to deal with that.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2010, 10:16 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
I dont hear any odd noises...

was the noise present in person during the filming and the camera just didnt capture it?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 AM

in person you can hear it clearer, but I mean even the sound that you hear in the vid, I remember it had a smoother sound than this one.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: '07 E92 330i Manual
I think I can hear what you mean, from the vid it sounds like a whistling belt noise, but if you put your head by the belt and it's separate from that, I'm not sure what else it could be.

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system